U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2018, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,580 posts, read 19,003,880 times
Reputation: 7211

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Congress does NOT enforce immigration laws. There is a reason that point is being avoided.

It proves my point.
We need congress to pass certain laws so that they can be enforced. For example, E-verify needs to be improved, and required. It starts with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 PM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,197,208 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
We need congress to pass certain laws so that they can be enforced. For example, E-verify needs to be improved, and required. It starts with them.
No, enforcing current laws is where it starts and all the same, COngress is doing nothing about E-Verify, the (R)'s will lose either the House or Senate, blame that and scream that you must vote for them to pass E-Verify and you will line up to vote for them.

If they are not enforcing current laws, what makes you think they will enforce new ones? That's how the argument goes is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,251,759 times
Reputation: 2854
It is kind of hard to get our congress to pass anything when whichever side is holding the majority is blocked by the other side out of the need for them to try to win power back for their side. We need to demand they do away with political parties, representatives need to represent the people, not their party. We are all individuals, therefore we too should be allowed to vote for anyone we want, not have to vote by party in the primary elections, what a better country we would have then. I am an independent so I cannot vote in the dem or rep primaries in Florida or I and a lot of other I's would have likely voted for Jim Webb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 PM
 
998 posts, read 1,191,094 times
Reputation: 1701
Criminals breaking more laws by running from the law. No one to blame but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,580 posts, read 19,003,880 times
Reputation: 7211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, enforcing current laws is where it starts and all the same, COngress is doing nothing about E-Verify, the (R)'s will lose either the House or Senate, blame that and scream that you must vote for them to pass E-Verify and you will line up to vote for them.

If they are not enforcing current laws, what makes you think they will enforce new ones? That's how the argument goes is it not?
Yes, they do enforce new laws all the time, and forget about old ones sometimes. Trump is tryying to enforce some, but lib judges keep trying to stop him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,197,208 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes, they do enforce new laws all the time, and forget about old ones sometimes. Trump is tryying to enforce some, but lib judges keep trying to stop him.
No he isn't. He is putting on a show for you. He is telling the states "you enforce the laws" knowing full well the courts have said it is his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,422 posts, read 11,491,506 times
Reputation: 19395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes, they do enforce new laws all the time, and forget about old ones sometimes. Trump is tryying to enforce some, but lib judges keep trying to stop him.
Trump can't enforce laws, and he can't create laws. He can occasionally make changes through executive orders but that's about it.

In the past 50 years the US Government has not enforced immigration laws because big business won't let them. It's a big joke like the perpetual wars in Orwell's 1984. I's pablum fed to a restless unhappy population to keep them from realizing that they will never get those mill jobs back and their kids will end up being even poorer than they are.

ICE dresses up like cosplay figures from Gears of Wars, rounds up a few hundred illegals and the right joins in a chorus of praise all the while Foster Farms and Perdue continue to use illegal immigrant labor and what do you hear about that? *crickets*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,197,208 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Trump can't enforce laws, and he can't create laws. He can occasionally make changes through executive orders but that's about it.
A president appoints an Attorney General that he expects will do what he wants him to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 10:22 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,422 posts, read 11,491,506 times
Reputation: 19395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No he isn't. He is putting on a show for you. He is telling the states "you enforce the laws" knowing full well the courts have said it is his job.
Indeed, and proof of that is the continuing use of ICE detainers which have been found to be unconstitutional by a number of federal courts. They could obtain judicial warrants which would be honored by every law enforcement agency in the US but after all these years and court decisions they still refuse to do so, sort of makes you wonder how serious DHS really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,580 posts, read 19,003,880 times
Reputation: 7211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Trump can't enforce laws, and he can't create laws. He can occasionally make changes through executive orders but that's about it.


He is the President! The Executive branch is charge with enforcing the law. He is the head of the executive branch. I'm missing some detail here?

Quote:
In the past 50 years the US Government has not enforced immigration laws because big business won't let them. It's a big joke like the perpetual wars in Orwell's 1984. I's pablum fed to a restless unhappy population to keep them from realizing that they will never get those mill jobs back and their kids will end up being even poorer than they are.

ICE dresses up like cosplay figures from Gears of Wars, rounds up a few hundred illegals and the right joins in a chorus of praise all the while Foster Farms and Perdue continue to use illegal immigrant labor and what do you hear about that? *crickets*
That is one reason why Trump got elected. Americans are sick of our government failing to do its job. However, I agree Trump isn't doing enough, and the Congress isn't doing anything. I don't see much hop for our country in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top