Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
LordBalfor threw down the gauntlet: how about you posting a rebuttal from a recent website concerning Mexico's 2.39 children per woman's birthrate? Replacement level is 2.1.

And; I read another source (somewhere here on City-Data posted by ProLogic a while back) that Mx's birthrate is hovering around 2.1 kids these days-------down from ca. 7.2 back in 1962.

There's another factor also and that's the age of childbearing, the length of a generation.

American women tend to delay childbirth until they've finished an education, developed some job skills, and married which can make them well into their 30s before they get around to having their one or two children.

By that age, the Mexican woman is already a grandmother because most Mexican women already have one or two children by the time they're 18 years old which means that population is reproducing at a much faster rate. Even if they had the same number of children, their generations are so much shorter that in 100 years, they easily might have 6 or 7 generations while the Americans might have 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That might be the birthrate of Mexico itself but millions of them simply cross the border to give birth in the USA because it's free and then they can claim welfare handouts.

Many who live in Mexico cross over the border to give birth in the USA to get the birth certificates but return to live in Mexico. I doubt the overall birth rate is down that much from the 7.2.
I am tending towards the '2.4 children per woman' figure myself......

Why I say that is I rarely see more than 3-4 children per 'Latina' woman these days with 1-2 kids occurring more and more often

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
There's another factor also and that's the age of childbearing, the length of a generation.

American women tend to delay childbirth until they've finished an education, developed some job skills, and married which can make them well into their 30s before they get around to having their one or two children.

By that age, the Mexican woman is already a grandmother because most Mexican women already have one or two children by the time they're 18 years old which means that population is reproducing at a much faster rate. Even if they had the same number of children, their generations are so much shorter that in 100 years, they easily might have 6 or 7 generations while the Americans might have 3.
I catch your drift; yet, a Mexican friend of mine flat stated that, if anything, the aging population (due to the tumbling birthrate) SOB is a concern.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:

Wrong again - another outdated misconception.
If that was still the case, Mexico's population growth would be much faster than that of the US. As it is, Mexico's population growth rate is only 1.12 - barely more that that of the US (.97) and less than world growth overall (1.17). This is a dramatic reduction in Mexican population growth (it was 3.5% in 1965) - so again, it's clear your views of Mexico - although true at one time, are completely outdated.

You need to come into the present. Your perceptions of Mexico seem to be stuck in the 1960's. While Mexico is still struggling with some problems, population growth is no longer one of them amd overall the country is making dramatic positive changes in most areas.

Ken

Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 PM

PS to Malamute -

I hope I didn't come off as sounding like I was insulting you for having outdated views of Mexico. If I did, I profoundly apologize. Clearly your views of Mexico are outdated, but in truth, that really makes you no different from the vast majority of Americans. The fact is, how can Americans NOT be ignorant about Mexico - or the realities of overseas events and international trends in general? Afterall, how much news do we really ever hear about wwhat is going on in foreign countries? The answer is, virtually nothing at all unless it directly concerns a visit by a US dignitary. Most Americans get their news from either the network nightly news or cable news channels. Network news tries to cram the entire worlds' news into 1/2 hour - it's not possible to even get a good overview of US news in that time - let alone squeeze in any worthwhile foreign news. As for the cable news channels - well 24 hour news sounds impressive until you realize that they mostly just repeat the same top stories over and over again every half hour (or hour at the most) - that is, when they are not putting on overpaid BS artist spouting off about the latest controversial subject. So the fact is, most Americans know next to nothing about what is going on outside the US - even in a nation as close as Mexico so it's not at all surprising that your views of Mexico's population growth is so out of date. Most Americans are in the same situation.

Ken

Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 PM

451 posts, read 310,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
PS to Malamute -

I hope I didn't come off as sounding like I was insulting you for having outdated views of Mexico. If I did, I profoundly apologize. Clearly your views of Mexico are outdated, but in truth, that really makes you no different from the vast majority of Americans. The fact is, how can Americans NOT be ignorant about Mexico - or the realities of overseas events and international trends in general? Afterall, how much news do we really ever hear about wwhat is going on in foreign countries? The answer is, virtually nothing at all unless it directly concerns a visit by a US dignitary. Most Americans get their news from either the network nightly news or cable news channels. Network news tries to cram the entire worlds' news into 1/2 hour - it's not possible to even get a good overview of US news in that time - let alone squeeze in any worthwhile foreign news. As for the cable news channels - well 24 hour news sounds impressive until you realize that they mostly just repeat the same top stories over and over again every half hour (or hour at the most) - that is, when they are not putting on overpaid BS artist spouting off about the latest controversial subject. So the fact is, most Americans know next to nothing about what is going on outside the US - even in a nation as close as Mexico so it's not at all surprising that your views of Mexico's population growth is so out of date. Most Americans are in the same situation.

Ken

Listen to the BBC in the morning, they have a global outlook, our news media is all crap, I never listen to it.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Listen to the BBC in the morning, they have a global outlook, our news media is all crap, I never listen to it.
Can't argue with you.

Ken

Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 AM

334 posts, read 827,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
CNN International Channel, if you can get it (it's on my cable system here).

And you're right about old viewpoints about Mexico. Things are changing here, day by day, and getting better. I attempt to point that out in these forums.

I remember Revolution Blvd (in Tijuana) from the old days when the most seediest of "events" would occur there (the US Navy types on leave loved it!) Today, Revolution is a virbrant, clean, modern shopping area in a city that receives the most foreign visitors in the world!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
And you're right about old viewpoints about Mexico. Things are changing here, day by day, and getting better. I attempt to point that out in these forums.
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't seem to sink in with most people. They just can't seem to understand that the world is changing and that in most places (Mexico included) living standards are raising dramatically. Of course it's not helped much that virtually every Hollywood movie and TV show seems to show these countries as crime-ridden cesspools.

Well DUH!
These shows are all about drama. They're not going to show the normal everyday life of those folks who's lot are getting better, they're going to show violence and excitement - if they didn't, they would be boring. Same with movies about the American West. When was the last time you saw a movie the pioneer went out West, settled down, carved out his farm, never had to kill any Indians or fight off any rustlers, but just lived a hard but peaceful life? Movies like that just aren't made very often because (with few exceptions) people don't want to see them.

Yes, there ARE crime-ridden cesspool areas in Mexico, but there are also more and more people that are clearly middle class and up and coming - and the popular image Americans seem to have of a filthy Mexican mother with 12 snot-nosed kids running wild is becoming pretty rare nowadays - and that applies to the illegal immigrants here in the US too. I see folks I'm "pretty sure" are probably illegal immigrants all the time - and I've yet to see a single case where there were more than 3 kids with them (and that case with 3 kids was a single instance). Most such mothers have but a single child, or two at the most - at least that is my experience, and I live in an area of Seattle that borders on a Mexcan immigrant enclave so I see lots of them.

Ken

Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Wrong again - another outdated misconception.
If that was still the case, Mexico's population growth would be much faster than that of the US. As it is, Mexico's population growth rate is only 1.12 - barely more that that of the US (.97) and less than world growth overall (1.17). This is a dramatic reduction in Mexican population growth (it was 3.5% in 1965) - so again, it's clear your views of Mexico - although true at one time, are completely outdated.

You need to come into the present. Your perceptions of Mexico seem to be stuck in the 1960's. While Mexico is still struggling with some problems, population growth is no longer one of them amd overall the country is making dramatic positive changes in most areas.

Ken
Have you considered that part of that phenomenon might be that the avid breeders of Mexico now reside in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration