U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:26 PM

8,382 posts, read 5,030,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama promised to address this immediately once he was the president. He lied and did nothing. "Promises" are no longer going to be enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.62d39d28e831

Obama had the White House and large majorities in the House and Senate and did nothing. Why should we believe something would be done now?

Univision anchor Jorge Ramos held Obama accountable for a promise the former Illinois senator made during his 2008 bid for office, when he said, “I can guarantee that we will have, in the first year, an immigration bill that I strongly support.”

“I want to emphasize ‘the first year,’ ” Ramos said. “At the beginning of your governing, you had control of both chambers of Congress, and yet you did not introduce immigration reform. And before I continue, I want for you to acknowledge that you did not keep your promise.”
So Obama did "nothing" expect - establish the policy. He did address it. Unless you think DACA emerged out of thin air?

"Obama authorized the policy after Congress failed to pass legislation called the DREAM Act that would have achieved the same thing on a permanent basis." This is for a bill introduced in 2001!

Here is some REAL information for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 12:39 PM

71,504 posts, read 30,049,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So Obama did "nothing" expect - establish the policy. He did address it. Unless you think DACA emerged out of thin air?

"Obama authorized the policy after Congress failed to pass legislation called the DREAM Act that would have achieved the same thing on a permanent basis." This is for a bill introduced in 2001!

Here is some REAL information for you...
DACA was as we see, worthless. It was NOT what Obama promised. These excuses for Obama's failures are hurting the ability to get anything done.

Obama had the numbers but did not do anything. How do you propose getting anything done with bare majorities?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
DACA was as we see, worthless. It was NOT what Obama promised. These excuses for Obama's failures are hurting the ability to get anything done.
And again, you do realize it is the responsibility of the congress to make laws? They debated this for 8 years BEFORE Obama was elected. Then when he saw that it was still not going to be passed he ACTED. Your refusal to see fact has no bearing.

I didn't know that Obama was supposed to be the all powerful OZ.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
And again, you do realize it is the responsibility of the congress to make laws? They debated this for 8 years BEFORE Obama was elected. Then when he saw that it was still not going to be passed he ACTED. Your refusal to see fact has no bearing.

I didn't know that Obama was supposed to be the all powerful OZ.
It's the presidents job to fight for legislation. Obama was lazy and he believed doing that was below him. Allowing Nancy Pelosi to lead on Health Care is why they were crushed in 2010.

Trump is a jerk and I support little that he does BUT he fights for what he wants. The (D)'s were too worried about elections to do the right thing. They could have inserted this into any number of corporate bail outs.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It's the presidents job to fight for legislation. Obama was lazy and he believed doing that was below him. Allowing Nancy Pelosi to lead on Health Care is why they were crushed in 2010.

Trump is a jerk and I support little that he does BUT he fights for what he wants. The (D)'s were too worried about elections to do the right thing. They could have inserted this into any number of corporate bail outs.
Sorry, you need a reality break. Go look up all the promises made by all presidents and report back how many were carried out - that is unless you are willing to admit that a political promise cannot always be achieved.

And again, when Obama saw that it was not going to happen through congress - he acted. Lazy? Obama was lazy? Yea, there is no bias in that assessment.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you need a reality break. Go look up all the promises made by all presidents and report back how many were carried out - that is unless you are willing to admit that a political promise cannot always be achieved.

And again, when Obama saw that it was not going to happen through congress - he acted. Lazy? Obama was lazy? Yea, there is no bias in that assessment.
Obama was lazy. Yes there is a bias. I supported 90% of what Candidate Obama said he would do. I supported very little of what President Obama actually did. He fought for nothing. He did the exact opposite of what he promised in many cases. He blew the perfect opportunity to change the direction of the country because he cared more about $$$$ than the people.

I want a Candidate Obama as president and I am willing to condemn President Obama for not being that person.

He could have demanded a real solution in any number of the corporate bail outs he signed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.be9920852f6e

The government shutdown is over. Democrats finally realized that closing the government over illegal immigration was a losing political battle. They created a needless crisis and got rolled. So who is to blame for their current predicament? Along with Charles E. Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, Democrats can put the blame squarely on the man who could have legalized the “dreamers” when he had the chance: Barack Obama.

(Note: not Fox News)

Old 04-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Obama was lazy. Yes there is a bias. I supported 90% of what Candidate Obama said he would do. I supported very little of what President Obama actually did. He fought for nothing. He did the exact opposite of what he promised in many cases. He blew the perfect opportunity to change the direction of the country because he cared more about $$$$ than the people.

I want a Candidate Obama as president and I am willing to condemn President Obama for not being that person.

He could have demanded a real solution in any number of the corporate bail outs he signed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.be9920852f6e

The government shutdown is over. Democrats finally realized that closing the government over illegal immigration was a losing political battle. They created a needless crisis and got rolled. So who is to blame for their current predicament? Along with Charles E. Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, Democrats can put the blame squarely on the man who could have legalized the “dreamers” when he had the chance: Barack Obama.

(Note: not Fox News)
So, you are saying that all the promises he failed to keep were because he just said, "well, I don't want to bother?" Or was it the case that there was too much opposition?

Old 04-01-2018, 01:13 PM

13,723 posts, read 25,305,954 times
Quote:
Too bad he signed a budget that was basically exactly what the Dems want, with this silly caveat of "I'll never sign anything like this again!"

Just like "I'll never drink again!"

I mean, if you had pulled a horse's tail when you were six years old and got kicked in the head, the brain damage might make it such that you actually believe him, but for the rest of us it means two things:

A - Trump isn't the negotiator or dealmaker he's portrayed to be on television

B - Trump is actually a liberal Democrat

Or it can be both "A" and "B."

Old 04-01-2018, 01:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 881,438 times
We owe nothing to illegals, regardless of when they came or who brought them. Their deportation remains deferred for another year until Trump can use them as a bargaining chip again, and D's can put illegals before citizens... again.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So, you are saying that all the promises he failed to keep were because he just said, "well, I don't want to bother?" Or was it the case that there was too much opposition?
Nobody gets everything. Obama did the exact opposite of many things he promised and did not fight for anything. When Obama won he had very high approval ratings and the House and Senate. Within two years his approval had fallen below 50% and he lost the House and Senate. That is on Obama.

He had too much opposition because he blew his majorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or