Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:14 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

What a radical idea! Asking the "National Guard" to guard the nation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Will they all have their immunization records and x-ray in hand to show they are free of Tuberculosis just as my husband was required to have when he came over legally?
Not required until they have an immigration interview. Just like those who overstay visas And adjust

Old 04-05-2018, 08:33 AM

243 posts, read 224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Are you referring to the wall? If so, walls do work. Bill Clinton had a wall built at the San Diego/Tijuana border. That wall has drastically cut down on both crime and illegal crossings. It's hardly "a waste of resources and money". Rather, it's money well spent
Absolutely not! Both the national guard and building a wall are two very good examples of resources not spend well.

The US is the richest country in the world, for crying out loud, people in Washington should be able to come up with a SMART and EFFECTIVE way to secure our borders.

Is very easy to criticize, but so far all the efforts Trump has talked about how to secure our border are very primitive... things developing counties would do, not the US..

Old 04-05-2018, 08:38 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Absolutely not! Both the national guard and building a wall are two very good examples of resources not spend well.

The US is the richest country in the world, for crying out loud, people in Washington should be able to come up with a SMART and EFFECTIVE way to secure our borders.

Is very easy to criticize, but so far all the efforts Trump has talked about how to secure our border are very primitive... things developing counties would do, not the US..
Right! The US does nothing. Trump might get the ball rolling.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Will they all have their immunization records and x-ray in hand to show they are free of Tuberculosis just as my husband was required to have when he came over legally?
Pretty sure we're talking about illegal aliens, not legal migrants.

Quote:

Walls work. They're very effective.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Finally someone with the stones to stop this free for all.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post

Walls work. They're very effective.
I always say, we as people, should always look back at what history has taught us, to not keep making the same mistakes.

Very different scenarios, but even when Berlin was divided in the Soviet times, people still managed to sneak in an out though the Berlin Wall. Mind you, this was in the middle of Berlin, where there was always people around and hiding must've been extremely hard. Yet, people still managed.

Just think what's going to happen with a wall in the vast deserts of Arizona and New Mexico..?
Where there isn't anyone for miles... Do you think a while will stop undocumented immigrants from getting into the states? I don't think so... At most, the wall will only change smuggling routes, make it harder for them to cross, but not stop them.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
I always say, we as people, should always look back at what history has taught us, to not keep making the same mistakes.

Very different scenarios, but even when Berlin was divided in the Soviet times, people still managed to sneak in an out though the Berlin Wall. Mind you, this was in the middle of Berlin, where there was always people around and hiding must've been extremely hard. Yet, people still managed.

Just think what's going to happen with a wall in the vast deserts of Arizona and New Mexico..?
Where there isn't anyone for miles... Do you think a while will stop undocumented immigrants from getting into the states? I don't think so... At most, the wall will only change smuggling routes, make it harder for them to cross, but not stop them.
A theif could easily overcome the door and lock on your house but you still have one and always lock it. Just because it won't stop 100% of trespassers doesn't mean we shouldn't have one. Besides, looking back at history as you suggest, it's proven to be very effective.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/2...alifornia.html

Quote:
“I told Trump that if you want to look at a model, it’s done, it’s in San Diego where you have almost no illegal immigration,” Mr. Hunter said. “Call it a fence, call it a wall. It’s completely changed the area and made the border safe to live.”

Indeed, illegal immigration here has slowed to barely a trickle. The number of migrants apprehended in the region while trying to cross illegally is now about 5 percent of what it once was: roughly 32,000 a year compared to a peak of nearly 630,000 in 1986, according to the United States Border Patrol.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:

You say "absolutely not!" despite the fact that the wall that Bill Clinton had built at the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crime

Walls do indeed work.

Are you also aware that there will only be a wall on 700 miles of the border? There are areas where the border is impossible to navigate so no walls are necessary there.

Why would anyone be vehemently against putting a wall on the border? Other countries have walls on their borders, why should it be different for the US?

I suggest that you do some googling and learn what life is like for Americans who live by the border. Their lives aren't easy due to the stream of illegals coming in unchallenged.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You say "absolutely not!" despite the fact that the wall that Bill Clinton had built at the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crime

Walls do indeed work.

Are you also aware that there will only be a wall on 700 miles of the border? There are areas where the border is impossible to navigate so no walls are necessary there.

Why would anyone be vehemently against putting a wall on the border? Other countries have walls on their borders, why should it be different for the US?

I suggest that you do some googling and learn what life is like for Americans who live by the border. Their lives aren't easy due to the stream of illegals coming in unchallenged.
Because the US is the greatest country on earth. We should be leading the way on almost everything possible.

I hope you're not understanding that we simply shouldn't do anything, because that is not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that for 2018, on the richest country in the planet, building a wall across a border that with no doubt, needs reinforcement, seems outdated. Just my opinion.

I don't live near the border, but have been near it many times. Even as a visitor, you know life down there is dangerous. But my point exactly, Americans near the border are living a more dangerous life, and the government only comes back with a wall... Yes, maybe is better than the nothing that is out there right now...but still.. I personally think is not good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration