U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
They're picking and growing crops, working in construction and site clean-ups, eateries, and landscaping. They're toiling. Did your kids ever break a sweat?

Only 2-4% of illegals are working in the ag industry and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers. Yes, illegal aliens flooded the construction, restaurant and landscaping industries and those are jobs that Americans use to do for a fair wage. Illegal aliens have no right to toil here, period.

There are certainly millions of Americans who have broken a sweat working blue-collared jobs. Who do you think did those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 03:14 PM

4,521 posts, read 1,943,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Legal permanent residency does not include citizenship test or language fluency. Also yes immigrants can have a criminal background. It just depends on what, how many charges, and if they have waivers available. A 10 year greencard is permanent, not temporary. Unless you do something to be deported you never lose your permanent residency.
The OP was listing steps for illegals to become citizens and mentioned language classes and studying for the citizenship test. When I mentioned language fluency and a test I was referring to citizenship, not legal permanent residency. Also, a person with a green card can choose to leave the U.S. and return home because they still have citizenship in their country. In that way I mean their stay here may be temporary.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:19 PM

15,581 posts, read 9,657,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
SO are you supporting the quasi-slave state California Farmers keep illegal workers in?

I lived in Southern California, and worked at the same companies that a lot of illegals worked at. They were treated just like everyone else, but they had better work ethics. We call off if we want to sleep in, they do not, and employers know that.

Even the field laborers are given work, something these illegals are thrilled to have, and , while they are not living in mansions and driving Bentleys, they are certainly better off than they were in their home country.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:29 PM

11,492 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
^This is somebody who gets it.
Nope. He doesn't get it and neither do you.

Ponder this --- honest farmers who use the guest worker program don't charge more money for their crops than sleazy farmers who refuse to use the guest worker program and instead opt for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:34 PM

11,492 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
They're picking and growing crops, working in construction and site clean-ups, eateries, and landscaping. They're toiling. Did your kids ever break a sweat?
Yup. My daughter worked as a hotel maid and as a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home. She was doing jobs that pro-illegals claim Americans won't do. We taught her that there is no shame in doing any honest work.

Who do you think did all those jobs you mention before we got infested with illegals? Americans did them and still do them. Even in immigrant-heavy cities if you open your eyes and look around, you will see Americans cleaning hotel rooms and working BOH restaurant jobs.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:33 AM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Before illegals took the fast food, construction, gardening, etc. jobs, they were filled with ... TEEN-AGERS and college students. These jobs were never meant to be anything other than a stop-gap. And get this -- no one complained back then about "who will do the jobs Americans won't do" because they were filled by Americans and we got along just fine.

No matter, California had the bracero program when I was growing up, and nowadays, there are plenty of visas available for those who want to work here on a temporary seasonal basis. This "coming here for a better life" irritates me because that "better life" comes with US taxpayer-paid services (food, medical insurance, education for their children, etc.). We have enough of our own poor and elderly who need help, most of whom at one time paid into the tax system.

In the evening news last night, a woman from Honduras left her three- and five-year old children at home while she is attempting to cross our southern border "for a better life." If that's not separating families, then I don't know what is!

I know South America is rife with crime and poverty, but take a look at Syria for the unspeakable treatment its citizens receive at the hands of their government. I have no words.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 AM

33,324 posts, read 14,548,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The OP was listing steps for illegals to become citizens and mentioned language classes and studying for the citizenship test. When I mentioned language fluency and a test I was referring to citizenship, not legal permanent residency. Also, a person with a green card can choose to leave the U.S. and return home because they still have citizenship in their country. In that way I mean their stay here may be temporary.
"mentioned language classes "

It is ALREADY part of the law

"Meet certain eligibility requirements including being
  • At least 18 years old at the time of filing
  • Able to read, write, and speak basic English
https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen

I am amazed and how so many are here who CANNOT speak our language yet receive gov't assistance.

Many of out federal offices are staffed with people who speak different languages so they can "talk" with people applying for benefits.

Why is so much of our federal documents in English AND Spanish?

I was in gov't contracts and we had to by equipment capable of doing 5 LANGUAGES.

How much is it costing us to provide these specialized people and the cost of printing everything TWICE and to provide such equipment?

It make NO sense.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:17 AM

1,225 posts, read 361,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"mentioned language classes "

It is ALREADY part of the law

"Meet certain eligibility requirements including being
  • At least 18 years old at the time of filing
  • Able to read, write, and speak basic English
https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen

I am amazed and how so many are here who CANNOT speak our language yet receive gov't assistance.

Many of out federal offices are staffed with people who speak different languages so they can "talk" with people applying for benefits.

Why is so much of our federal documents in English AND Spanish?

I was in gov't contracts and we had to by equipment capable of doing 5 LANGUAGES.

How much is it costing us to provide these specialized people and the cost of printing everything TWICE and to provide such equipment?

It make NO sense.
Because there is no official language and thatís for citizenship. Residents do not have to meet this requirement

Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 AM

5,595 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Before illegals took the fast food, construction, gardening, etc. jobs, they were filled with ... TEEN-AGERS and college students. These jobs were never meant to be anything other than a stop-gap. And get this -- no one complained back then about "who will do the jobs Americans won't do" because they were filled by Americans and we got along just fine.
They didn't "take the fast food jobs." Every drive-thru I hit in SoCal has a person who speaks perfect English manning the drive-thru. In-N-Out Burger is a fine institution with very little turnover because it pays its employees better than the average fast food bear. No "illegals" are working at the one a stone's throw from me.

Teens and college age students today gravitate towards Starbucks and mall jobs, not construction and landscaping (both of which I did, for a good number of years). The bottom line is the vast majority of young adults don't want to bust their @ss. There's nothing wrong with selling phones for Verizon, either. That's just the way it is. Do you ever see teens and young adults working at Home Depot? No. you see thirtysomethings, fortysomethings and fiftysomethings. (And the workforce is mostly Anglo at the one by me, too.)

Old 04-09-2018, 10:25 AM

5,595 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yup. My daughter worked as a hotel maid and as a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home. She was doing jobs that pro-illegals claim Americans won't do. We taught her that there is no shame in doing any honest work.

Who do you think did all those jobs you mention before we got infested with illegals? Americans did them and still do them. Even in immigrant-heavy cities if you open your eyes and look around, you will see Americans cleaning hotel rooms and working BOH restaurant jobs.
LOL. "Infested." You're like the other guy I replied to. You talk about people like they're termites or roaches, and you need to call the exterminator.

I'm glad your daughter was a maid and a CNA. My mom was a career RN who retired five years ago. You have to be "certified" to be a CNA, right, hence the word being part of the acronym? So which "illegals" are taking the CNA jobs away from you? That's right: none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or