U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 AM
 
7,534 posts, read 4,022,885 times
Reputation: 1186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"The coward's way out"? Is that anything like a white guy gifting a smallpox-laden quilt to a tribe of Native Americans?

"Fight for it," huh? Nice try. The people who came here centuries ago weren't looking for a better life so much as they were running away from England.
The people of today can not even imagine let alone believe that they would ever be put into that position ever again ... therefore there is a lack of empathy towards those that are in that position of having to leave their home countries.

Displaced families that are in the u.s. out of desperation to find a safe place away from the wars and political strife in their countries of origin, if one asks them, most say they would rather go home to a peaceful land, rather than stay here. They love their country just as much as the u.s. citizens love theirs.

However, they take a leap of faith, the same as those that lived over 200 years ago did by leaving England for the new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The people of today can not even imagine let alone believe that they would ever be put into that position ever again ... therefore there is a lack of empathy towards those that are in that position of having to leave their home countries.

Displaced families that are in the u.s. out of desperation to find a safe place away from the wars and political strife in their countries of origin, if one asks them, most say they would rather go home to a peaceful land, rather than stay here. They love their country just as much as the u.s. citizens love theirs.

However, they take a leap of faith, the same as those that lived over 200 years ago did by leaving England for the new world.
And 200 years ago, even 100 years ago... the costs of the US accepting immigrants was close to nil since there weren't government help programs for them like food stamps, housing vouchers and... the cost of public schools. And healthcare costs were nothing then also. 200 years ago, if an immigrant couldn't succeed in America, they starved and died. Even 100 years ago, it was the same situation.

The cost of living in our First World country is too high for US citizens to have to accept every foreigner that wants to live here.

And with all the homeless on our city streets, why are we welcoming these wannabe immigrants?

Also we should tax any monies they send back to the US from whatever money they make in the US. Western Union should be set up to collect these taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM
 
7,534 posts, read 4,022,885 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And 200 years ago, even 100 years ago... the costs of the US accepting immigrants was close to nil since there weren't government help programs for them like food stamps, housing vouchers and... the cost of public schools. And healthcare costs were nothing then also. 200 years ago, if an immigrant couldn't succeed in America, they starved and died. Even 100 years ago, it was the same situation.

The cost of living in our First World country is too high for US citizens to have to accept every foreigner that wants to live here.

And with all the homeless on our city streets, why are we welcoming these wannabe immigrants?

Also we should tax any monies they send back to the US from whatever money they make in the US. Western Union should be set up to collect these taxes.
The cost of living (today) in our First World country, you've got that right. The country they've left behind doesn't charge them taxes other than indirect through sales. In many of the M.E. countries citizens receive money from their government, they don't have a centralized tax system as we do here. They've left a system of continual support to a system that has a time stamp on it. Some believe that government is suppose to take care of its citizens, not the other way around.

I know it is hard to believe but not every one is driven by money and material things, like they are in the U.S. and some of the countries in Europe. They are just looking for a place that is safe so as to wait out the wars, until it is safe to return, home again.

Five migration trends to watch in 2018

“But also, Mexico is offering asylum and people are taking advantage of it. It’s about getting to safety and not about achieving the American dream.”

Quote:
And 200 years ago, even 100 years ago...
The will to take the risk continues today ...

The Mediterranean: why so many deaths at sea in 2016?

"4,733. The death toll in the Mediterranean, ever since the UNHCR started counting in 2008, has never been so high. "
________
And the American government along with its citizens are going to wine about the hardships they face ... what hardship? We look like a bunch of spoiled brats ...

PS: These people are returning home ... http://www.soc.duke.edu/GlobalEngine...whyskilled.pdf like they'll be missed right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 PM
 
11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Reputation: 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The cost of living (today) in our First World country, you've got that right. The country they've left behind doesn't charge them taxes other than indirect through sales. In many of the M.E. countries citizens receive money from their government, they don't have a centralized tax system as we do here. They've left a system of continual support to a system that has a time stamp on it. Some believe that government is suppose to take care of its citizens, not the other way around.

I know it is hard to believe but not every one is driven by money and material things, like they are in the U.S. and some of the countries in Europe. They are just looking for a place that is safe so as to wait out the wars, until it is safe to return, home again.

Five migration trends to watch in 2018

“But also, Mexico is offering asylum and people are taking advantage of it. It’s about getting to safety and not about achieving the American dream.”

The will to take the risk continues today ...

The Mediterranean: why so many deaths at sea in 2016?

"4,733. The death toll in the Mediterranean, ever since the UNHCR started counting in 2008, has never been so high. "
________
And the American government along with its citizens are going to wine about the hardships they face ... what hardship? We look like a bunch of spoiled brats ...

PS: These people are returning home ... http://www.soc.duke.edu/GlobalEngine...whyskilled.pdf like they'll be missed right?

Per the bolded --- They aren't driven by money? Then why do they expect the USA to take care of them when they are here? Who do you think is paying for it when they give birth? Who do you think is paying for the education of their kids?

It's really naive to think that none of them are driven by money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 05:26 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I know it is hard to believe but not every one is driven by money and material things, like they are in the U.S. and some of the countries in Europe. They are just looking for a place that is safe so as to wait out the wars, until it is safe to return, home again.

Five migration trends to watch in 2018

“But also, Mexico is offering asylum and people are taking advantage of it. It’s about getting to safety and not about achieving the American dream.”
Then why didn't that caravan of refugees from South American stop in Mexico??? Why did they continue onto the US border?????

The caravan should have stopped in Mexico where they were welcome and where they also speak Spanish there. It made no sense to continue onto US, unless it was for monetary gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 05:34 PM
 
11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Reputation: 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Then why didn't that caravan of refugees from South American stop in Mexico??? Why did they continue onto the US border?????

The caravan should have stopped in Mexico where they were welcome and where they also speak Spanish there. It made no sense to continue onto US, unless it was for monetary gain.
I couldn't rep you again, but you nailed it

They aren't true refugees at all. If they were, they would have asked Mexico for asylum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 PM
 
7,534 posts, read 4,022,885 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Then why didn't that caravan of refugees from South American stop in Mexico??? Why did they continue onto the US border?????

The caravan should have stopped in Mexico where they were welcome and where they also speak Spanish there. It made no sense to continue onto US, unless it was for monetary gain.
You mean this one?

Large caravan of Central American migrants crosses into Mexico

"Hundreds of migrants that had been traveling through southern Mexico stopped on Monday to rest and speak with local officials about filing for asylum. Despite concerns from President Trump, most of the group is ill-equipped to travel to the US border. "<snipped>
"Mexico granted 3,223 asylum requests made in 2016, and 9,626 requests filed last year are either under review or have been accepted."

First Central American caravan members allowed to cross into US

"But eight people - two women with two children apiece - were allowed to pass through and claim asylum, organisers said."

Migrant caravan, raising concerns in US,halts in Mexico


"“The idea was never for this group of people to reach the border. It was more to achieve a sensible and clear solution” to migrants’ need to leave their countries, said Irineo Mujica, director of Pueblo Sin Fronteras, the activist group behind the annual symbolic event."
_________
While I'm bursting the American ego ...

25 More Signs That America Is Not The Greatest Country On Earth

Survey: ‘America is not the greatest country in the world’

If that don't make a person sit up and take notice ... nothing will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 PM
 
7,534 posts, read 4,022,885 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The cost of living (today) in our First World country, you've got that right. The country they've left behind doesn't charge them taxes other than indirect through sales. In many of the M.E. countries citizens receive money from their government, they don't have a centralized tax system as we do here. They've left a system of continual support to a system that has a time stamp on it. Some believe that government is suppose to take care of its citizens, not the other way around.

I know it is hard to believe but not every one is driven by money and material things, like they are in the U.S. and some of the countries in Europe. They are just looking for a place that is safe so as to wait out the wars, until it is safe to return, home again.

Five migration trends to watch in 2018

“But also, Mexico is offering asylum and people are taking advantage of it. It’s about getting to safety and not about achieving the American dream.”

The will to take the risk continues today ...

The Mediterranean: why so many deaths at sea in 2016?

"4,733. The death toll in the Mediterranean, ever since the UNHCR started counting in 2008, has never been so high. "
________
And the American government along with its citizens are going to wine about the hardships they face ... what hardship? We look like a bunch of spoiled brats ...

PS: These people are returning home ... http://www.soc.duke.edu/GlobalEngine...whyskilled.pdf like they'll be missed right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- They aren't driven by money? Then why do they expect the USA to take care of them when they are here? Who do you think is paying for it when they give birth? Who do you think is paying for the education of their kids?

It's really naive to think that none of them are driven by money.
You may be right ... Per mine in bold:

Throwing money at the street

"IF YOU don't own your citizens' loyalty, perhaps you can rent it for a while."
_______
This thread is covering all immigrants right? and the idea that only in the U.S. ... because other countries around the globe have the U.S. beat in many areas, hands down. The only thing the U.S. has going for it, we haven't taken it to the streets yet, with the fire power ... but give us a minute, anything is possible in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15198
It occurred to me today that if all the illegals were made to leave the US, there would be more affordable housing available to Americans. This would especially be true in our major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 PM
 
2,967 posts, read 878,472 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It occurred to me today that if all the illegals were made to leave the US, there would be more affordable housing available to Americans. This would especially be true in our major cities.
The massive illegal immigration we have increases housing costs, traffic, pollution, crime, depresses wages, jobs, exacerbates identity politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top