U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 AM
 
Location: California
1,915 posts, read 1,892,231 times
Reputation: 1667

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It occurred to me today that if all the illegals were made to leave the US, there would be more affordable housing available to Americans. This would especially be true in our major cities.
Do you really believe that?? I see many "illegals" living in garages that are remotely converted into a living area. They also live 3 families to a two bedroom apartment. That is why many hang out outside in the yards, or maybe picnic at the park so their kids can play, there simply isn't enough room inside for everyone.

They live as minimal as possible to save whatever they can save. I don't see Americans living like they do.

The Hispanics that are legal, they're the ones who might live closer to how we Americans would live. That is just from my experience from living in an agriculture rich community where many field workers live.

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 05-17-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Reputation: 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It occurred to me today that if all the illegals were made to leave the US, there would be more affordable housing available to Americans. This would especially be true in our major cities.
Housing price declines would be a bad thing, given most Americans are homeowners.

Yeah, obviously if you removed millions of people from the U.S., you would have negative economic effects. I don't think the Trump fans care. Their hatred of foreigners (excepting Trump's wives, I guess) outweighs economic self-interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,241,649 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Housing price declines would be a bad thing, given most Americans are homeowners.

Yeah, obviously if you removed millions of people from the U.S., you would have negative economic effects. I don't think the Trump fans care. Their hatred of foreigners (excepting Trump's wives, I guess) outweighs economic self-interest.
Correction, our hatred for those who break our laws, not foreigners, many of us are married to or have relatives who are foreigners, LEGAL foreigners.

As for the negatives economically, I personally feel the positives will outweigh any negatives, getting overall costs down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Reputation: 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Correction, our hatred for those who break our laws, not foreigners, many of us are married to or have relatives who are foreigners, LEGAL foreigners.
Do you want the First Lady deported? She came illegally.

And Trump wants to dramatically slash LEGAL immigration. He is clearly anti-immigrant and nativist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM
 
3,010 posts, read 888,595 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Do you want the First Lady deported? She came illegally.

And Trump wants to dramatically slash LEGAL immigration. He is clearly anti-immigrant and nativist.
Nobody cares about people that were illegal and are now legal. They obviously did something about it. Some illegals have been here for 10, 20, 30 years and never did anything about their situation. Too bad for them.

Trump wants to end chain migration and make it skills based. Both of those are great ideas. And I'm also immigrant by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,241,649 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Do you want the First Lady deported? She came illegally.
Provide proof to back up your ridiculous claim.

Quote:
From the Washington Post
The Facts
First of all, we should note that this particular tweet falsely claims that Melania Trump, who is a native of Slovenia and married Donald Trump in 2005, stayed in the United States illegally after her visa expired and that she married Trump only to obtain citizenship.

There is no evidence that is the case. In September 2016, she released a letter from an immigration attorney stating that she did not receive a green card through marriage.

“Rather, in 2000, Mrs. Trump self-sponsored herself for a green card as a model of ‘extraordinary ability,’ and on March 19, 2001, she was admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident,” wrote Michael J. Wildes, the attorney.
“Based on this timeline, Mrs. Trump became eligible for citizenship in 2006, after five years of continuous permanent residence.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Reputation: 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Provide proof to back up your ridiculous claim.
Every legit news source, including conservative sources, has reported on Melania working illegally under a tourist visa. No one seriously disputes this.

Just google any news source, and learn. Her pay stubs have been released.

I don't know why you're quoting the WaPo on an unrelated matter, BTW. No one disputes that Trump sponsored her eventual citizenship. Has nothing to do with the fact she was here illegally prior to meeting Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM
 
15,395 posts, read 8,694,836 times
Reputation: 13780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Because they are also people too. Their only crime is they want to make a better life for themselves and their children.

I was once with my dad in my car. We were making a turn on a residential street, there were some migrant workers on the corner. He said hello to them. I asked if he knew them. He said no. I said why did you say hello to them. He said because they are people too.

I was ashamed for even asking my dad why he said hello to them as we drove by.
Then the American taxpayer must be a bunch of criminals also. Because that's all they want as well. And taking money away from them, to fund the leaches that break into this country and steal our tax dollars, is wrong.

Nobody is denying that they are people. But you are denying that they are criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,241,649 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Every legit news source, including conservative sources, has reported on Melania working illegally under a tourist visa. No one seriously disputes this.

Just google any news source, and learn. Her pay stubs have been released.

I don't know why you're quoting the WaPo on an unrelated matter, BTW. No one disputes that Trump sponsored her eventual citizenship. Has nothing to do with the fact she was here illegally prior to meeting Trump.
There is a BIG difference between working without a work visa and being here illegally, working without a work visa is not being an illegal alien and while I have no idea if she did that or not, she was here LEGALLY, not illegally as you claim.

Provide proof instead of making up stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 10:27 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Reputation: 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
There is a BIG difference between working without a work visa and being here illegally, working without a work visa is not being an illegal alien and while I have no idea if she did that or not, she was here LEGALLY, not illegally as you claim.
LOL! You have no clue about illegal immigration.

The majority of illegals do exactly what Melania did. They come on visas, then work illegally. Her story is typical (right up to the part where she met Trump).

How do you think an illegal comes to the U.S.? They aren't walking from China or Russia. They fly in, and you cannot fly in without visa.

If you're illegal, and didn't walk here through the desert from Mexico, you almost certainly have the same story as Melania. You cannot enter the U.S. without a visa of some sort.

I know probably 50 illegals, BTW, and every one I know came with a legal visa, then worked illegally, just like Melania. It is easy to get a tourist visa from abroad, it is almost impossible to get a work visa from abroad.

I know illegals from Russia, Ukraine, Albania, Turkey, Germany, Morocco and Algeria. In fact I have employed a few. Kinda hard to walk into the U.S. from these places. My handyman/gardner is illegal, and I don't care, as he does good work. He's reliable, honest and precise. I also pay him a good wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top