U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 AM

900 posts, read 469,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I think I hate the sympathizers and supporters even more. I can understand why the illegals do what they do, but I cannot fathom why some people in this country support it.
I agree! I am all for allowing a reasonable amount of people into the U.S. if they arrive here legally. We really do need some immigration.

Why? The U.S. birthrate is low, and the population is not producing all of our desired skill sets. Who is going to defend us, to pluck our chickens, to pick our grapes, to tailor our clothes, or to work in our gardens, if not the immigrants?

The U.S. is a great place to start for immigrants. Even if they cannot succeed themselves (because of language difficulties), their children are more likely to assimilate and prosper. Here is an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Powell

The problem is that the allocation system is broken, and there are few provisions for guest workers. We need to pressure Congress into fixing the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 AM

62,451 posts, read 27,779,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I agree! I am all for allowing a reasonable amount of people into the U.S. if they arrive here legally. We really do need some immigration.

Why? The U.S. birthrate is low, and the population is not producing all of our desired skill sets. Who is going to defend us, to pluck our chickens, to pick our grapes, to tailor our clothes, or to work in our gardens, if not the immigrants?
Actually, we have an exponentially growing underclass that is never likely to rise that much above the poverty level. They can do those jobs. We don't need under-educated and no/low-skill immigrants to fill those needs.

We have a HUGE underclass dependent on means-tested welfare programs, and they're outbreeding those who actually financially support themselves by a rate of 3 to 1. Yes, you read that correctly, 3 to 1. Of course, the more children they bear, the more in means-tested welfare program benefits they collect.

Here are the stats on birth rates when such were tracked and published by the US Census Bureau:
Quote:
"The 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) gave states greater flexibility to formulate and implement initiatives to reduce welfare dependency and encourage employment for members of low-income families with children. For the nation, in 2006, 10 years after passage of the Act, the birth rate for women 15 to 50 years old receiving public assistance income in the last 12 months was 155 births per 1,000 women, about three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (53 births per 1,000 women)."
http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-558.pdf

And, again...
Quote:
"For the nation, the birth rate for women receiving public assistance was 160 births per 1,000 women, almost three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (56 births per 1,000 women)."
http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p20-563.pdf

I'm sure you can understand that the compounding effect on population growth will make that dependent-class increasingly more impossible to support with freebie welfare handouts. Eventually, the Fed Gov is going to run out of other people's money with which to artificially fund their subsistence.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 AM

31,522 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:

The U.S. is a great place to start for immigrants. Even if they cannot succeed themselves (because of language difficulties), their children are more likely to assimilate and prosper. Here is an example:

The problem is that the allocation system is broken, and there are few provisions for guest workers. We need to pressure Congress into fixing the system.
As the prior poster said we have enough of our own poor and needy that can do those jobs. We don't need any more immigrants especially the illegal kind coming here to stay permanently with no skills. I'm all for temporary visas for any jobs that are difficult to fill but those jobs are slim to none. We already have visas in unlimited numbers for crop pickers. Tailors and gardeners can be filled by Americans. Commercial landscaping used to pay a liveable wage before millions of illegal aliens took those jobs. We do not have a shortage of Americans to enlist in our military either.

We'd be better off with a smaller population to fit a smaller economy much more resources and space for our own citizens. Why does the U.S. have to be a starting place for immigrants? There are many other countries they could move to or they could stay in their homelands and start there.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,353,537 times
Quote:

The problem is that the allocation system is broken, and there are few provisions for guest workers. We need to pressure Congress into fixing the system.[/quote]

I really don't think a lot of immigrate are out in the fields picking our veggies, plucking our chickens, tailoring our clothes (the majority of our clothes are produced overseas) or joining the military (some but really not that many). They are people who migrated to the US and mostly have skills who want to assimilate into our society.
I believe what you are referring to are illegal aliens/green card holders who do those jobs.

Quote:

A major problem with illegal aliens is the problem of assimilation is they tend live in tight knit communities with little outside contact because of the language difference. This applies to just more than Latino communities it applies to others like Muslim, Amish, Asian and so on. When a person goes into their communities most of the stores signs and sale persons use their native language. In fact some communities the road signs are not even in English. Do their children learn to speak English, of course but some of not all do not leave the communities they grew up in. In the case of some religion group like the Amish the state pays for their education in all Amish schools. Outsiders not welcome.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:47 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,353,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are many other countries they could move to or they could stay in their homelands and start there.
Why because we have open borders and liberals begging for more improvised people to come and vote for them while other countries, including Mexico don't.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 1,548,698 times
Quote:
My ancestors wanted a better life as well, so I can sympathize. However, they entered the country legally. What is really broken is our immigration system. We should institute something like Canada has, which describes the skill sets needed. e do need their labor in many cases, immigration and potential "guest workers" are just not well regulated.

Also, the Citizenship Clause to 14th Amendment to the Constitution needs to be repealed or stricken from the amendment, the original need no longer applies. Plus, it perpetuates a way to circumvent the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_Clause
Actually no, the citizenship clause does not create birthright citizenship for foreigners, only for citizens and lawfully present residents. That's the plain language AND the intent of the law (well mostly).

The original author of the clause, Senator Jacob Howard, confirmed in response to direct questioning about this very topic, that it would of course, EXCLUDE foreigners, unlawfully present aliens, and so forth.

Why he didn't just say so directly instead of the "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" which apparently confuses people that lack sufficient command of our language, is beyond me.

I guess they didn't have so many idiots around back then as we do now.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 1,724,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
You should be hating all the republican business owners who hire them. These people just want a better life. You take out he jobs and they won’t come.
"A better life" doesn't exist because of magic soil. "A better life" can be built wherever anyone resides.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 1,724,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"The coward's way out"? Is that anything like a white guy gifting a smallpox-laden quilt to a tribe of Native Americans?
No, it's not like that fabrication at all.

Did the U.S. Army Distribute Smallpox Blankets to Indians? Fabrication and Falsification in Ward Churchill's Genocide Rhetoric

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/plag/52...;view=fulltext

Old 04-10-2018, 07:05 PM

1,017 posts, read 554,032 times
Quote:

Wrong! There is an infinite number of temporary guest work visas available.

Our birth rate is down because we do not bring children into the world WE cannot support unlike third world countries. We also do not need the so-called underclass. Before this invasion, we got along just fine without illegals ... the chickens were plucked, the crops harvested, fast food joints were staffed with college kids and high schoolers who wanted extra work credit, houses were built, lawns were mowed (by the neighborhood kids), crops were picked, etc.

The misnomers: "They do the work Americans won't do," "We must not separate families," "Those against illegal aliens are called racists," and my favorite: "Illegals are needed to report crimes instead of living in the shadows." Funny, I have managed to live into old age without having to report any crimes.

Perhaps California's homeless problem is caused in part by illegals taking the labor-type jobs and leaving the unemployed Americans to fend for themselves. We didn't have a homeless problem 25 years ago.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 AM

200 posts, read 375,232 times
I am for anyone coming into the country but you got to do it legally. I think people minds would some what change if they learn the language, respect our country and made an effort in becoming legal citizens. I was so happy when Donald put a stop into Syrian refugees coming into the country.

I know people who are having a hard time finding work and would be happy to do "Job's Americans won't do"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or