U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2018, 08:31 PM
 
10,904 posts, read 3,805,509 times
Reputation: 4739

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They did it here. Busted a Mexican restaurant. Confiscated the owners business, house and cars. Problem solved.

But you expect them to pick up 10-30 million one at a time?
Ohh and you are going to shut down and bankrupt my local sushi bar over a dishwasher? And the pizza joint and the Indian Restaurant and the McDonalds? All laid waste to get 5 illegals? And you really think that might fly? My local Mexican has no one who does not speak English and our standard waitress has been there over 20 years and does not speak Spanish.. Do they have an illegal washing dishes? Could be. But they should therefore be put out of business and their assets seized? Have you really lost your mind?

And they will never pick up 11 million. Simply send them to the black market...to all our disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 PM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,157,084 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Ohh and you are going to shut down and bankrupt my local sushi bar over a dishwasher? And the pizza joint and the Indian Restaurant and the McDonalds? All laid waste to get 5 illegals? And you really think that might fly? My local Mexican has no one who does not speak English and our standard waitress has been there over 20 years and does not speak Spanish.. Do they have an illegal washing dishes? Could be. But they should therefore be put out of business and their assets seized? Have you really lost your mind?

And they will never pick up 11 million. Simply send them to the black market...to all our disadvantage.
Do you want the problem solved or not? It won't take shutting them all down either until we decide to find real solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 PM
 
10,904 posts, read 3,805,509 times
Reputation: 4739
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you want the problem solved or not? It won't take shutting them all down either until we decide to find real solutions.
The solution is simple and straightforward. you simply legalize the longer term illegals until you have a population that you can manage. In my mind that is well under a million. Maybe 500,000 if we up ICE some more.

And if we don't the problem continues forever.

So do you want the problem solved or not? Shutting the employers down is almost as dumb as sending ICE door to door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 PM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,157,084 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The solution is simple and straightforward. you simply legalize the longer term illegals until you have a population that you can manage. In my mind that is well under a million. Maybe 500,000 if we up ICE some more.

And if we don't the problem continues forever.

So do you want the problem solved or not? Shutting the employers down is almost as dumb as sending ICE door to door.
If you start hurting business, business will finally get on board with coming up with a solution. Until then, the status quo is going to be fine with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 PM
 
10,904 posts, read 3,805,509 times
Reputation: 4739
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you start hurting business, business will finally get on board with coming up with a solution. Until then, the status quo is going to be fine with them.
Yes. So? Business has little interest in solving the problem. So what? We, the society need it fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 10:38 PM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,157,084 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Yes. So? Business has little interest in solving the problem. So what? We, the society need it fixed.
The only way to do that is to address the reason people come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,573 posts, read 18,986,286 times
Reputation: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The solution is simple and straightforward. you simply legalize the longer term illegals until you have a population that you can manage. In my mind that is well under a million. Maybe 500,000 if we up ICE some more.

And if we don't the problem continues forever.

So do you want the problem solved or not? Shutting the employers down is almost as dumb as sending ICE door to door.
You finally have a good idea. Only legalizing some of them is a good idea. All I hear around here is all or nothing. I see this as a possible compromise. Good thinking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,385 posts, read 11,459,553 times
Reputation: 19374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You finally have a good idea. Only legalizing some of them is a good idea. All I hear around here is all or nothing. I see this as a possible compromise. Good thinking!
That's what the immigration bill that passed in the senate was going to do, and as part of it e-verify would have been mandatory and an electronic system of tracking visa overstays would have been implemented.
The Republicans in the house refused to hold a vote on it so it died.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...-passes-093530
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 10:58 AM
 
71,504 posts, read 30,157,084 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's what the immigration bill that passed in the senate was going to do, and as part of it e-verify would have been mandatory and an electronic system of tracking visa overstays would have been implemented.
The Republicans in the house refused to hold a vote on it so it died.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...-passes-093530
As your article notes, the (D)'s shot it down under Bush. Both parties put politics ahead of what is best for the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 AM
 
10,904 posts, read 3,805,509 times
Reputation: 4739
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As your article notes, the (D)'s shot it down under Bush. Both parties put politics ahead of what is best for the country.
You are again misstating what occurred. The primary reason for the defeat in 2007 was Republican opposition..

From Reuters...

*************************************************
Only 33 Democrats, 12 Republicans and one independent voted to advance the bill, while 15 Democrats joined 37 Republicans and one independent to block it.
*************************************************

And a majority of the Republicans in the house also opposed it.

Last edited by lvmensch; 04-28-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top