U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Thank you.

Illegal immigration is the biggest political issue for me personally. That said, people who are already here and have been here for years, that work hard and don't commit crimes, I'm all for them being allowed to stay and become legal, tax paying citizens.

They worked here illegally while using a fake or stolen SS number or worked for cash evading taxes. Those are crimes. Working hard doesn't excuse anyone for breaking the law. How are Americans to get their jobs back if they are allowed to stay? How is it fair to legal immigrants who waited and came here the legal way? How many of these amnesties are we going to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 AM

2,462 posts, read 633,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Back when border crossings were high and getting higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysmg...ature=youtu.be
A contemptible globalist. The Bush family did more to destroy America than any I can recall.

Him and Reagan forfeited any "conservative" respect they might have had with their legalizing of 4 million illegal aliens.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 AM

19,072 posts, read 10,694,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They worked here illegally while using a fake or stolen SS number or worked for cash evading taxes. Those are crimes. Working hard doesn't excuse anyone for breaking the law. How are Americans to get their jobs back if they are allowed to stay? How is it fair to legal immigrants who waited and came here the legal way? How many of these amnesties are we going to have?
You cannot prove that the areas with the highest unemployment rates in the USA are areas that have a high illegal resident concentration. You just can't --

WHY? Because it isn't connected.

Coal jobs were not loss to immigrants.
Manufacturing jobs were not loss to immigrants.

There is not a huge pool of Americans wanting to paint houses, put shingles on roofs, do your landscaping, laundry, work in restaurants -- there just isn't.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Back when border crossings were high and getting higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysmg...ature=youtu.be
classic GOP response.

blah blah .. "Labor needs" ... blah blah blah

GOP policy translation 1980: We in the Texas GOP are not going to do anything to stop illegal immigration, because Texas manufacturers and farmers rely on illegals for bigger profits.

city-data forum circa 2018 : "Those libs are to blame for illegal immigration! Something something sanctuary city something something Pelosi something something California"

Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Americans have always done roofing, landscaping, painting, etc. for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegal aliens flooded our border. We have always had a large blue-collared American work force in our country.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:07 AM

1,018 posts, read 386,517 times
If government would do their job and check for peoples ID and if they don't have one follow the laws on the books.

Most people that can do something won't because of the headache it causes and just don't want to get involved.

I watch immigrants break our ethic laws and misdemeanor laws everyday which teaches their anchor babies how to behave.

This video is a good example of the correct forecast that was made 30+ years ago and now we are living it.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:32 AM

11,501 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Thank you.

Illegal immigration is the biggest political issue for me personally. That said, people who are already here and have been here for years, that work hard and don't commit crimes, I'm all for them being allowed to stay and become legal, tax paying citizens.
They all "commit crimes" in order to work. They either engage in ID theft (so many native-born Puerto Ricans have been victims of ID theft by illegals that the PR government declared all birth certificates issued before 2010 to be null and void. Many PR born people ---my father included---now have useless birth certificates), use a fake SSN (that fake SSN often belongs to a living person who then gets put into a world of hurt) or get paid under the table (which is tax evasion)

Americans who commit ID theft and tax evasion don't get forgiven. Instead, they go to jail. Do you want to reward illegal aliens by giving them green cards when they commit those very same crimes?

Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree, and they aren't undocumented they are illegal aliens. They need to return to their homelands and apply to come back legally and within our annual quotas and based on whether or not we actually need them. They need to wait their turn in line behind those already applying in their countries. The process doesn't begin on our soil. We tried amnesty back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Rewarding law breaking just encourages more.
And Ted Kennedy promised the 1986 amnesty was a one-time deal, never to happen again. What is it going to be 20 years from now? Pretty soon, all of South America and Mexico will be living here. Problem solved, except the US taxpayers cannot afford to support them with our generous social programs. We only have a finite amount of land and natural resources (water especially in California). Too bad these folks do not stay in their own countries to work on improving them instead of invading the U.S. It's the luck of the draw - some of us were born here, others were born elsewhere. I do not see where it is our responsibility to care for the rest of the world's less fortunate inhabitants. As my mother once told me as a child when I was whining about something, "Maybe next time you will be born into a wealthy family."

Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 879,933 times
Let's see more recent speeches by Bill Clinton and Dianne Feinstein.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:23 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Many illegal aliens (from my experience) do not want to become US citizens because they have loyalty to their homeland(s) (especially Mexico). However, as long as they are here, they need to pay payroll taxes instead of collecting under-the-table cash. I just wrote a check to the IRS for over $1,000 to pay for my under-reported taxes. How nice it would have been to not be liable for taxes (plus I have never used any services, including school). On the other hand, many illegals use our social services (especially in CA where the most reside) and never pay a cent. Doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or