Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As long as the jobs are here people will come. Those hiring illegals could be addressed NOW, nothing needs to be done but they are not.

The wall is simply an excuse for not going after employers.

"Why are we not going after employers"? We need a wall.

"We could address the real problem now". We need a wall.

"Fines associated with hiring illegals would even help finance the prosecutions". We need a wall.

"The wall" is nothing more than a political smoke screen.
The exact same thing can be said about those who disregard the wall issue and keep calling for any and all items besides the wall, all noise, nothing but a distraction, smoke screen from the real issue.

Prisons have walls to keep people in and to keep others who would bring in contraband out, prisons have been doing their job for ever, BUILD THE WALL ASAP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
As long as the jobs are here people will come. Those hiring illegals could be addressed NOW, nothing needs to be done but they are not.

The wall is simply an excuse for not going after employers.

"Why are we not going after employers"? We need a wall.

"We could address the real problem now". We need a wall.

"Fines associated with hiring illegals would even help finance the prosecutions". We need a wall.

"The wall" is nothing more than a political smoke screen.
Sorry but going after employers is not going to work. Employers will successfully resist and, if you could tighten it down, it would simply drive the illegals to the dark side and off the books.. Yes a few more will leave but only a small percentage.

My favorite is still right wing Texas...where they will not make any penalty for even a state contractor who hires illegals. Yes they are required to use eVerify...but nothing happens if they don't.

Face it...in the end we will either legalize most of the illegal allies or they will all die of old age. I can see it now where we end up setting up old age homes for the aging illegal population who cannot get SS.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
The exact same thing can be said about those who disregard the wall issue and keep calling for any and all items besides the wall, all noise, nothing but a distraction, smoke screen from the real issue.

Prisons have walls to keep people in and to keep others who would bring in contraband out, prisons have been doing their job for ever, BUILD THE WALL ASAP!!!
There is no wall. Even if there would be one there won't be for many years. Why would you not want what can be done now, done?

Politics.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but going after employers is not going to work. Employers will successfully resist and, if you could tighten it down, it would simply drive the illegals to the dark side and off the books.. Yes a few more will leave but only a small percentage.
Did Asplundh resist?

Tree company Asplundh to pay largest fine ever for hiring undocumented workers | NJ.com

Old 04-26-2018, 06:06 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
I think we all agree, going after employers is part of the solution. Let's vote the politician in that wants to do this.

I bet you my SSN he won't be a Democrat.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
A fine example of a corporations whose needs were very well met by illegal aliens. Not at all sure by the way that they were motivated by cheap labor. Their problem was labor with very high portability willing to work under very harsh conditions. I suspect they paid reasonably well.

And there likely are a few more. And there are places like the Tennessee meat packing plant who were using illegals in a general tax avoidance scheme. Those schemes are pretty common on a much lower level. Ever see how many service men will discount their bill 10% for cash? Or how many gardeners work cheap but get paid in cash?

So I would strongly suggest that pushing the illegal aliens out of regular employment simply builds that base running outside the tax system. And there go billions and billions to be made up by the rest of us.

I actually favor moving to a cashless society to put a stop to that stuff. And that would make it much more difficult for illegals or anyone to work without taxes being paid. But again. Not sure a majority actually wants an honest system.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I think we all agree, going after employers is part of the solution. Let's vote the politician in that wants to do this.

I bet you my SSN he won't be a Democrat.
Who would he be?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
A fine example of a corporations whose needs were very well met by illegal aliens. Not at all sure by the way that they were motivated by cheap labor. Their problem was labor with very high portability willing to work under very harsh conditions. I suspect they paid reasonably well.

And there likely are a few more. And there are places like the Tennessee meat packing plant who were using illegals in a general tax avoidance scheme. Those schemes are pretty common on a much lower level. Ever see how many service men will discount their bill 10% for cash? Or how many gardeners work cheap but get paid in cash?

So I would strongly suggest that pushing the illegal aliens out of regular employment simply builds that base running outside the tax system. And there go billions and billions to be made up by the rest of us.

I actually favor moving to a cashless society to put a stop to that stuff. And that would make it much more difficult for illegals or anyone to work without taxes being paid. But again. Not sure a majority actually wants an honest system.
Yes, you support anything but going after the actual problem because you know your politician will never do it.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, you support anything but going after the actual problem because you know your politician will never do it.
I support the only possible solution...which is to legalize all until the problem can be contained with rational resources. And I am not totally comfortable with that solution. It is, to a large extent, what they tried in the late 80s. And it is clear how well that worked.

More hope this time as we know what happened last time and hopefully the deal will be a lot better locked down. And the demography has greatly shifted in Mexico so that country will not drive another invasion. Then again we will need to be careful of the over stayers...who could come up to make it a challenge.

But my view is much cleaner than the idiocy being shouted by many pushing hopeless solutions. And that includes yours.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
Who would he be?
How would I know. Have you heard of this person? Maybe write to your representative. Start a campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration