U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,075,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
I corrected your statement. Heck, if Americans stopped paying taxes, then what will support the invaders when they get here?
Their employer is not also doing the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:07 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,210,583 times
I'm all for helping people, but you can't sacrifice your people to save the world. I don't think the answer is to bring refugees here to a foreign land. Help them at home. I think that's where they really want to be. Countries need to learn how to better deal with the internal problems that make their people want to leave. Give them a fish and they become dependent. Teach them to fish and they become self sufficient.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM

10,342 posts, read 9,455,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm all for helping people, but you can't sacrifice your people to save the world. I don't think the answer is to bring refugees here to a foreign land. Help them at home. I think that's where they really want to be. Countries need to learn how to better deal with the internal problems that make their people want to leave. Give them a fish and they become dependent. Teach them to fish and they become self sufficient.
I agree with you about helping people thrive in their own land. What's happening now at the border is people fleeing violence from their own country. Not something they want to do but are forced to do. How do we help them stay there? Send in troops to squash the cartel from taking over? We went into Iran and Iraq to (supposedly) help those people. Why not Central America? There has to be a way to help these people stay in their own country. Not all want to leave but what's their alternative? And I ask to everyone who lives here in the U.S., what would you do if you lived under those conditions?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:43 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,573,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wwjd?
He lived in a time where over population wasn't an issue. In today's world, he would have said, "Keep it in your pants. You have to take responsibility for your actions and having children you can't support is the cause of all your suffering."

Assuming he understands math and the word "exponential", he would see the writing on the wall and castrate most all males until the population was reduced to something the country could support.

This would end the suffering and poverty in a generation.

Well done Jesus (fist bump)!

Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,573,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

This is a good primer for those who just don't have a place to start.
Great video, thanks for posting. Pity it's going to go over some people's head.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:12 PM

6,828 posts, read 4,422,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
One has to wonder when the card carrying liberals get their way and the borders are opened if they will step up and take these poor people into their homes or will they expect the rest of us to help?

The liberals that I know are social justice warriors on the weekends but they are also stuck up and wouldn't allow a tent city or slum to be built in their backyards to house all these people from third world countries that they want to import.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- We all know that liberals are hypocrites. They call those of us who don't want to be inundated with illegals "racists" and "xenophobes". All the while, they won't step up and offer to move any illegals into their homes and instead expect the taxpayers to take care of them.
Hmmm... living in the Midwestern countryside, which is either stagnant or depopulating, I take the opposite view. My land mostly stands empty; I'm useless as a farmer. If a tent-city for refugees could be set up in my back yard, I'm all in favor. Maybe some of those refugees play chess - and we could have a tournament. Even if they don't, the tents and trampling would reduce the growth-rate of grasses and weeds, saving me the trouble of mowing. I have some non-operable cars that I'm unable to fix myself. Maybe some of these guys could help. Even if they don't, just having sets of eyes staring at me, might spur me into getting busy in the garage, instead of lounging about my house, in a dressing-gown.

This is not a troll-post. I'm absolutely serious. If the US federal government were to pay me a stipend per tent-dwelling refugee, I'd be thrilled to enroll in the program. Even if there were no compensation whatsoever, I'd be interested, at least temporarily. Why? Because I'm a "bleeding heart"? No. Actually, it's for selfish, egotistical reasons. These windswept acres are lonely; I could use more of a human presence around here. And it would be ego-massaging to indulge in the fantasy of being a manor lord. Is such a situation stable? I don't know. But the point is, that there's no means of even giving it a try.

But beyond narrowly personal interests, whenever I see these "conveys" of refugees at the US-Mexican border, or migrants from Africa on rubber boats in the Mediterranean, my immediate thought is: we have so many abandoned or neglected buildings around here. The "downtown" feels empty. The surrounding towns are decaying, moribund, barren. We could use the people. We could use new residents, new inhabitants. Americans don't want to move here - the economy sucks, and the climate isn't much better. But foreigners, fleeing starvation, or gangs, or cultural taboos - why not?

Old 05-01-2018, 03:41 PM

11,529 posts, read 5,523,897 times
"A stipend per tent-dwelling refugee[s]". Seriously? Why won't you do this out of the goodness of your heart? You miss the whole point. The point is that those who are pro-illegal alien/pro-refugee expect others to have to bear the cost. Those who cheer on the invasion won't open up their own wallets to pay for anything. In fact, they don't even want them anywhere near their neighborhoods and schools.

So...you are saying, send them your way but you expect to be paid for it? If you had said you would shoulder the expense, I would be saying kudos to you and to let the government and all pro-illegal alien/pro-refugee groups to send these people your way.

You would have to support them yourselves, especially since you say the local economy is moribund.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
In many cases we are the ones destroying their home.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I agree with you about helping people thrive in their own land. What's happening now at the border is people fleeing violence from their own country. Not something they want to do but are forced to do. How do we help them stay there? Send in troops to squash the cartel from taking over? We went into Iran and Iraq to (supposedly) help those people. Why not Central America? There has to be a way to help these people stay in their own country. Not all want to leave but what's their alternative? And I ask to everyone who lives here in the U.S., what would you do if you lived under those conditions?
LOL......we did nothing to help the people of Iraq (not sure when we went into Iran). You want to destroy Central America also?

Old 05-01-2018, 04:32 PM

10,342 posts, read 9,455,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL......we did nothing to help the people of Iraq (not sure when we went into Iran). You want to destroy Central America also?
No. That wasn't what I meant, at all. I meant troops to protect them, not kill them. My mistake on Iran. We didn't go there to protect citizens. It was in '88. Something about mining or oil. Sorry memory a little foggy. But the fact remains the people of Central America are coming here to get away from the violence in their own country. End the violence and let them go home. If I knew how to accomplish that, I'd be working for the DOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration