U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 04:36 PM

71,504 posts, read 30,058,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
No. That wasn't what I meant, at all. I meant troops to protect them, not kill them.
That was our claim in Iraq and Syria. It can't be done.

Quote:
My mistake on Iran. We didn't go there to protect citizens. It was in '88. Something about mining or oil. Sorry memory a little foggy. But the fact remains the people of Central America are coming here to get away from the violence in their own country. End the violence and let them go home. If I knew how to accomplish that, I'd be working for the DOD.
We can't "end the violence" anywhere else, why do you think we can in South America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,489,519 times
Pick a story - any story:

The one with the tiger cub being smuggled into the country:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/us/bo...rnd/index.html

The one with the puppies forced to act like drug mules (doesn't end well for the puppies):
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ing/ar-AAwAXIs

The one where illegals are "defiant towards a country they hope will take them in:
Members of migrant caravan remain defiant after US again denies border entry | Fox News

The one where the feds lost track of 1500 "migrant" children. Doesn't go well for a lot of these kids:
Feds Say 1,475 Migrant Children Placed in Homes Are Missing | Time

The one where an admitted MS-13 gang member crosses the border:
MS-13 Gang Member Arrested Traveling With Migrant Caravan From Central America to U.S.

Don't want them here. Don't need them here. Can't afford to have them here.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:51 PM

71,504 posts, read 30,058,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Don't want them here. Don't need them here. Can't afford to have them here.
Business seems to disagree with you.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:18 PM

10,334 posts, read 9,449,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That was our claim in Iraq and Syria. It can't be done.
We can't "end the violence" anywhere else, why do you think we can in South America?
Well okay then. You know more than me. I won't argue only I think it stinks when people are being driven out of their own country because it's too violent to live there. Of course, they're coming here. It's the closest country that you don't have to travel by ship. If they lived in Spain, they'd probably be heading for Portugal. I get it, pknopp. You're among the many who don't want anyone from another country here, even if it's to seek asylum. It's a moot point as far as Central America is concerned because the U.S. has granted them entry and are processing them in.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 3 days ago)

9,124 posts, read 6,785,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
I have been watching the reporting of the thousands of people who want to be a refugee in America. 100s at the border today and thousands on their way.

Why would anyone try to sneak across the border when they can walk to the border and claim refugee status? While they wait for a judge to give them a hearing in 2-5 years they are given a permit to work. Vs. if you sneak across the border, you have to find fake ID and worry about E-Verify.

Having traveled all around the world I have seen countless people in the 3rd World. There is likely 2 billion people living in hellholes throughout Africa and Asia who would love to be a refugee in America. The only thing that is stopping them is an ocean between them and the USA. The sad people from Central America who want to come to America live in hell but likely not much worse than half the population of Africa and places like India.

AGAIN.. Do people who support an open border really understand the scope of world suffering (crime, poverty, disease, etc.)?
No, because they have no concept of how insignificant our taking more immigrants is to the suffering of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Old 05-01-2018, 08:19 PM

5,011 posts, read 1,726,084 times
Quote:
Actually he didn't.

And a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”

He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.
(Matthew 12: 11-13)
Admonition of when to follow and break halachic law and when to follow the law of the secular government have always been two different issues for the Judeo-Christian religions. Most minority religions have been able to survive in major nations specifically because they advise following its law, regardless of when they follow or break religious prescription.

And we can sit here and bend scripture for political purposes all night, and not be any better off when we are finished. For every one of yours, there is a contradictory passage.

Last, I prefer to know exactly who I'm speaking to when someone is abusing religious guilt (either adeptly or usually poorly) to fulfill their political aims. This is because no one should bend to supposed religious guilt from someone who doesn't follow the prescriptions that they advise. I can think of a half dozen liberal or racist "journalists" who have tried the WWJD tack over the past two years. They've all come off as raging hypocrites given examination of their personal politics.

Last edited by golgi1; 05-01-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Business seems to disagree with you.
What business is that? What party are they registered to?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I know lots of people that support open borders
Every one of them lives in a gated community and has a security system
Communism has an overclass.

It has little to no middle class, and what is there is not a socioeconomic threat to the overclass. Which is the point of communism.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
One might have thought that after I controdicted him with scripture you might have reconsidered your reply.
You quoted scripture relating to halachic prescription as a member of the majority in a theocratic state, not relating to the secular law while residing as a religious minority. Perhaps consider not dabbling in quoting things that you have no grasp of.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 PM

6,814 posts, read 9,380,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Well okay then. You know more than me. I won't argue only I think it stinks when people are being driven out of their own country because it's too violent to live there. Of course, they're coming here. It's the closest country that you don't have to travel by ship. If they lived in Spain, they'd probably be heading for Portugal. I get it, pknopp. You're among the many who don't want anyone from another country here, even if it's to seek asylum. It's a moot point as far as Central America is concerned because the U.S. has granted them entry and are processing them in.
No, its not. The USA is not the closest country for Central Americans. And that is telling. Because if they were really refugees desperately fleeing for their lives, they would be going to the closest place they can get too, not someplace a 1,000 miles away or more.

Central Americans are going through Mexico, a country that is roughly 3 times the size of Texas to get to the United States.

Looking at Central America in more detail, take Honduras for example. Honduras is roughly about the size of the state of Virginia. Think about that, if a community is crime ridden in Virginia, do residents flee in panic to a foreign speaking country a 1,000+ miles away? Or do they move to another part of Virginia?

So why not move to another part of Honduras? Or any of the other 6 countries in Central America? Or Mexico for that matter? Or a dozen or so Latin American countries down in South America?

But no, they are bypassing all that to move to a foreign speaking country, which just happens to have, btw, the largest economy in the Americas. Looks to me less like legitimate refugees and more like economic migrants trying to take advantage of refugee status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration