U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 AM

16,812 posts, read 9,530,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
They understand.

Open borders advocates are merely communists, and so they don't care about the effects that you detail.

The effective result of open borders is international communism. In fact, borders and communism are possibly the two most tightly correlated primary issues in modern politics.
Joe McCarthy, is that you?

I saw a snail track across my patio coffee table yesterday; darn communist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 07:04 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,197,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Well okay then. You know more than me. I won't argue only I think it stinks when people are being driven out of their own country because it's too violent to live there. Of course, they're coming here. It's the closest country that you don't have to travel by ship. If they lived in Spain, they'd probably be heading for Portugal. I get it, pknopp. You're among the many who don't want anyone from another country here, even if it's to seek asylum. It's a moot point as far as Central America is concerned because the U.S. has granted them entry and are processing them in.
No, you do not get it. Read the rest of my replies.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Admonition of when to follow and break halachic law and when to follow the law of the secular government have always been two different issues for the Judeo-Christian religions. Most minority religions have been able to survive in major nations specifically because they advise following its law, regardless of when they follow or break religious prescription.

And we can sit here and bend scripture for political purposes all night, and not be any better off when we are finished. For every one of yours, there is a contradictory passage.
I don't believe there is.

Quote:
Last, I prefer to know exactly who I'm speaking to when someone is abusing religious guilt (either adeptly or usually poorly) to fulfill their political aims. This is because no one should bend to supposed religious guilt from someone who doesn't follow the prescriptions that they advise. I can think of a half dozen liberal or racist "journalists" who have tried the WWJD tack over the past two years. They've all come off as raging hypocrites given examination of their personal politics.
I am a Christian that supports the idea of a country like ours, helping people, not killing them.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
What business is that? What party are they registered to?
Neither party, or more specific, both parties. There is a reason we demonize those who can't do anything about the problem and say very little about those who create the reason people come here illegaly to start with.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:31 AM

13,103 posts, read 7,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In many cases we are the ones destroying their home.

War? I hear what you're saying, but why can't everyone in the region get together and set up refugee camps. Oh yeah, we already did, yet, we are still bring them here. However. 60 billion dollars was spent rebuilding Iraq over ten years and it is still an unstable country. The corruption is a huge problem. In Afghanistan we have spent 90 billion in reconstruction so far. It's estimated that 767 billion of our tax payer dollars has been spent since we invaded those countries. (source: CBS News. Much of 60B from U.S. to rebuild Iraq wasted, special auditor's final report to Congress shows.)

Is the answer to bring them all here? That's a lot of money in welfare we could have given out instead of rebuilding a country that could easily be destroyed again. Maybe there's a better option like ending the corruption through economic ways? Corruption seems to be a big global problem.

Who suffers when autocrats, kleptocrats, and plutocrats rule? If we continue to take people in then doesn't that just enable the corruption? Change comes from within. Not from handouts.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM

11,575 posts, read 5,555,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Joe McCarthy, is that you?

I saw a snail track across my patio coffee table yesterday; darn communist!
You, by your own admission, live in Canada. Are you for open borders?

Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
War? I hear what you're saying, but why can't everyone in the region get together and set up refugee camps. Oh yeah, we already did, yet, we are still bring them here. However. 60 billion dollars was spent rebuilding Iraq over ten years and it is still an unstable country. The corruption is a huge problem. In Afghanistan we have spent 90 billion in reconstruction so far. It's estimated that 767 billion of our tax payer dollars has been spent since we invaded those countries. (source: CBS News. Much of 60B from U.S. to rebuild Iraq wasted, special auditor's final report to Congress shows.)

Is the answer to bring them all here? That's a lot of money in welfare we could have given out instead of rebuilding a country that could easily be destroyed again. Maybe there's a better option like ending the corruption through economic ways? Corruption seems to be a big global problem.

Who suffers when autocrats, kleptocrats, and plutocrats rule? If we continue to take people in then doesn't that just enable the corruption? Change comes from within. Not from handouts.
Destroying their homes, businesses and livelyhoods to set them up in camps is no solution to anything. If I was them, I would do everything I could to get here to retaliate.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:10 PM

510 posts, read 107,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Hmmm... living in the Midwestern countryside, which is either stagnant or depopulating, I take the opposite view. My land mostly stands empty; I'm useless as a farmer. If a tent-city for refugees could be set up in my back yard, I'm all in favor. Maybe some of those refugees play chess - and we could have a tournament. Even if they don't, the tents and trampling would reduce the growth-rate of grasses and weeds, saving me the trouble of mowing. I have some non-operable cars that I'm unable to fix myself. Maybe some of these guys could help. Even if they don't, just having sets of eyes staring at me, might spur me into getting busy in the garage, instead of lounging about my house, in a dressing-gown.

This is not a troll-post. I'm absolutely serious. If the US federal government were to pay me a stipend per tent-dwelling refugee, I'd be thrilled to enroll in the program. Even if there were no compensation whatsoever, I'd be interested, at least temporarily. Why? Because I'm a "bleeding heart"? No. Actually, it's for selfish, egotistical reasons. These windswept acres are lonely; I could use more of a human presence around here. And it would be ego-massaging to indulge in the fantasy of being a manor lord. Is such a situation stable? I don't know. But the point is, that there's no means of even giving it a try.

But beyond narrowly personal interests, whenever I see these "conveys" of refugees at the US-Mexican border, or migrants from Africa on rubber boats in the Mediterranean, my immediate thought is: we have so many abandoned or neglected buildings around here. The "downtown" feels empty. The surrounding towns are decaying, moribund, barren. We could use the people. We could use new residents, new inhabitants. Americans don't want to move here - the economy sucks, and the climate isn't much better. But foreigners, fleeing starvation, or gangs, or cultural taboos - why not?
This is what I've been saying all along! Send them to the midwest! Plenty of open space there! I'm serious. But we still need jobs for them tho...

Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM

2,817 posts, read 2,532,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In many cases we are the ones destroying their home.

Then go over to the lands they live and fix it - along by their side so they stay there and it becomes like the place they supposedly think is going to be better...

And get the puppet politicians out of our government who are controlled by the elites who destroy these countries so they can make money from both sides of the equation and are not subject to the consequences of their actions.

Let them set up sanctuary cities in the politicians and their funders backyards and send their children to the politicians and their funders kids schools (Sidwell Friends et al) Let them endure the results of their policies and actions PERSONALLY.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Then go over to the lands they live and fix it - along by their side so they stay there and it becomes like the place they supposedly think is going to be better...
Why not simply stop destroying their homes?

Quote:
And get the puppet politicians out of our government who are controlled by the elites who destroy these countries so they can make money from both sides of the equation and are not subject to the consequences of their actions.
Most who complain about refugee's support these actions.

Quote:
Let them set up sanctuary cities in the politicians and their funders backyards and send their children to the politicians and their funders kids schools (Sidwell Friends et al) Let them endure the results of their policies and actions PERSONALLY.
I've said for years now, there will be consequences for our actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration