U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
2,939 posts, read 1,651,620 times
Reputation: 1781

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have to have a reason to get into Mexico, yes?
A reason to travel through Mexico?

A reason to get into Mexico?

I've been there many times. I've never had to provide any documentation other than ID.

 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Reputation: 31588
serpentine
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
So, you are a person from Central America and you have just spent the last six months traveling across Mexico by train, bus, taxi, and foot to get to the United States. You finally make it to the US Border and after waiting for a few days, you are allowed to apply for asylum.

You are put in an immigration prison cell in California while you wait for a judge to decide your fate. A month later you tell the judge that it is dangerous in your hometown in Honduras and you had to escape to get a better life in America. But you were not convincing enough, the judge turns down your application and you are deported back to Honduras. (You are one of the 75% percent of applicants for asylum from Central America who are turned down.)

Now what? You risked everything to come to America. Your dream was rejected by the cold and heartless people who made a terrible decision. (Your opinion, not the poster) You had borrowed money from friends and family in Honduras to pay for the costs of the trip from Honduras, Mexico to America. It was understood that once you made it to America, you would get a job and wire the money back to these friends to pay off your debts.

But now you are back in Honduras after being deported, scared for your life, broke, and all your friends and family who borrowed you money are asking for the cash. What now?
Well ya went right through Mexico. Then there is Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Belize, all right there, closer than the US. Try one of those countries.
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 AM
 
30,736 posts, read 16,968,992 times
Reputation: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
A reason to travel through Mexico?

A reason to get into Mexico?

I've been there many times. I've never had to provide any documentation other than ID.

O.K. I got no clue...never been, but they passed through a perfectly good county to get away from their country to seek asylum, here in the US? Why?
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
 
413 posts, read 443,734 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Thank you for showing that you have no idea what's required to get an asylum case approved.

The scary scenarios you casually dismiss as fiction may well be real. They may go back and be the victims of gang violence or get killed by a drug cartel. It's just that those things, despite being horrible, do not qualify one for asylum.
Is the US the only place they can escape from the gang violence or a drug cartel? Why travel that far to a hostile country with a horrible president and tons of racists, who do not even speak their language?

You know the real reason why they are here. You just do not want to admit it.
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:32 AM
 
7,191 posts, read 5,259,248 times
Reputation: 7837
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Is the US the only place they can escape from the gang violence or a drug cartel? Why travel that far to a hostile country with a horrible president and tons of racists, who do not even speak their language?

You know the real reason why they are here. You just do not want to admit it.
What do you think the real reason is?

It's pretty obvious that they'd travel here because, despite our horrible president and tons of racists, the opportunities are better and it's generally safer.
 
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,615 posts, read 1,349,825 times
Reputation: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
So, you are a person from Central America and you have just spent the last six months traveling across Mexico by train, bus, taxi, and foot to get to the United States. You finally make it to the US Border and after waiting for a few days, you are allowed to apply for asylum.

You are put in an immigration prison cell in California while you wait for a judge to decide your fate. A month later you tell the judge that it is dangerous in your hometown in Honduras and you had to escape to get a better life in America. But you were not convincing enough, the judge turns down your application and you are deported back to Honduras. (You are one of the 75% percent of applicants for asylum from Central America who are turned down.)

Now what? You risked everything to come to America. Your dream was rejected by the cold and heartless people who made a terrible decision. (Your opinion, not the poster) You had borrowed money from friends and family in Honduras to pay for the costs of the trip from Honduras, Mexico to America. It was understood that once you made it to America, you would get a job and wire the money back to these friends to pay off your debts.

But now you are back in Honduras after being deported, scared for your life, broke, and all your friends and family who borrowed you money are asking for the cash. What now?
I for one could care less where they go. I for one care more about poor US legal citizen more than illegal aliens looking for a better life.
 
Old 05-04-2018, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,615 posts, read 1,349,825 times
Reputation: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have to have a reason to get into Mexico, yes?
More then likely bribes to the Mexican border patrol were involved when they passed the southern Mexican border. Remember Mexico has a wall on their southern border.
 
Old 05-04-2018, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,615 posts, read 1,349,825 times
Reputation: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well ya went right through Mexico. Then there is Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Belize, all right there, closer than the US. Try one of those countries.
Can't...all the countries you named control their borders.
 
Old 05-04-2018, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,615 posts, read 1,349,825 times
Reputation: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Is the US the only place they can escape from the gang violence or a drug cartel? Why travel that far to a hostile country with a horrible president and tons of racists, who do not even speak their language?

You know the real reason why they are here. You just do not want to admit it.
Highlighted above...you are talking about Mexico...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top