U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,504,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Yes, I am a student of history and have been to Ellis and found my ancestors. I do not recall mentioning it was a paradise.
Things in America were different then, what has changed is our moral compass.
Our "moral compass" hasn't changed. Unless you think expecting those who want to come here to do so in accordance with our immigration laws somehow equates to a negative change in "our moral compass" If that's what you believe, that's bizarre

We can't take in the entire third world without descending into third world status ourselves.

True, you didn't exactly say that Ellis Island was a paradise. However, you did say this:

Thank God my ancestors were not treated so cruelly at Ellis Island.

You made it sound like they were welcomed with open arms and freely granted entry. The truth says otherwise as I explained previously.

My maternal grandparents came through Ellis Island. I, too, have visited it.

As a mother and a grandmother, I'm proud of how my country is finally getting tough on illegal aliens! It's long past time that we did so.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:17 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Actually they are trying to manipulate the system. They had opportunities to seek asylum in other countries on the way to the USA, but they wanted the USA and only the USA. They endangered their children by doing so.
Exactly. Why this isn't clear to more is unsettling. Perhaps willful ignorance?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:19 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You really think this is acceptable?

Are you aware that year-old babies are being snatched away from their mothers and placed in so-called "shelters", often in other states from where the parents - who are seeking asylum as refugees, aka fleeing persecution - are kept? Do you know what this kind of separation does to infants and small children? Are you aware that over seventeen hundred children in this kind of government "care" have gone missing and cannot be located by our government?

What kind of cold, heartless person proposes or supports this completely unnecessary and harmful action? Separating children from adults was a Nazi practice. Why is our government engaging in it?? Even when Japanese-American families were (shamefully) sent to relocation camps during WWII, they were allowed to remain together.

I am not a leftist. I am a moderate Democrat. But I am strongly opposed to such a cruel, heartless, damaging, and un-American practice such as this.

If you have ever loved or cared about a child, just think how you'd feel were that child treated as these innocents are being treated. Imagine being that child you care about, terrified, being forced from your parents by armed strangers who speak a different language.

Imagine never knowing if or when you'd ever see your parents again. Imagine being sent away to live with other children and cared for by strangers who don't love you or have enough resources to properly care for you and the other children locked up with you. Imagine being bullied by the older, stronger, unsupervised children. Imagine your fear - and your grief.

Now, imagine being five years old. Even younger.

How would you feel?

I am embarrassed by and ashamed of my country right now, and I want it to return to what it was until Trump took office. I want to make America America again, a place I can proudly call my own. Free. Democratic with a small "d". Honorable. A place that protects and nurtures the weak and the powerless into strength. A place which protects its resources, educates its children, respects its people. I want my representatives to truly represent me, not special interests. I want my country to return to being that shining city on a hill. I want an end to cruelty, lies, and corruption.

I want my country back.
How would you feel if your mom took you in the car on a drug run? Went bar hopping? Robbing a bank? Told you to sneak into a mansion by yourself telling you they can't get rid of you if you can get there. You'll have a better life even if it's at the expense of those living there already. The table was set for people that paid to get in but encourage you to sneak into the exit door. Get yours. Who cares if it's breaking laws.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You really think this is acceptable?

Are you aware that year-old babies are being snatched away from their mothers and placed in so-called "shelters", often in other states from where the parents - who are seeking asylum as refugees, aka fleeing persecution - are kept? Do you know what this kind of separation does to infants and small children? Are you aware that over seventeen hundred children in this kind of government "care" have gone missing and cannot be located by our government?

What kind of cold, heartless person proposes or supports this completely unnecessary and harmful action? Separating children from adults was a Nazi practice. Why is our government engaging in it?? Even when Japanese-American families were (shamefully) sent to relocation camps during WWII, they were allowed to remain together.

I am not a leftist. I am a moderate Democrat. But I am strongly opposed to such a cruel, heartless, damaging, and un-American practice such as this.

If you have ever loved or cared about a child, just think how you'd feel were that child treated as these innocents are being treated. Imagine being that child you care about, terrified, being forced from your parents by armed strangers who speak a different language.

Imagine never knowing if or when you'd ever see your parents again. Imagine being sent away to live with other children and cared for by strangers who don't love you or have enough resources to properly care for you and the other children locked up with you. Imagine being bullied by the older, stronger, unsupervised children. Imagine your fear - and your grief.

Now, imagine being five years old. Even younger.

How would you feel?

I am embarrassed by and ashamed of my country right now, and I want it to return to what it was until Trump took office. I want to make America America again, a place I can proudly call my own. Free. Democratic with a small "d". Honorable. A place that protects and nurtures the weak and the powerless into strength. A place which protects its resources, educates its children, respects its people. I want my representatives to truly represent me, not special interests. I want my country to return to being that shining city on a hill. I want an end to cruelty, lies, and corruption.

I want my country back.
I'm sorry that you are "embarrassed and ashamed" of the USA. You must hate it now that we are getting tough on illegal aliens. You want it the way it was when Obama was in office? You mean you liked when Obama was acting like a dictator and forcing DACA down our throats? Then emboldened, he tried to force DAPA down our throats, also. Thank Goodness the fifth circuit court put a stop to that. Yet, Obama, acting like the dictator he thought he was, thumbed his nose at the injunction and continued to do DAPA. He got caught after 100,000 more DAPA permits were issued. Only then did he stop.

If you are so embarrassed and ashamed of the USA, you are free to apply to immigrate to another country.

I, for one, am proud that our country is getting tough on illegal aliens! You, OTOH, don't get that illegal immigration is a slap in the face to those who obeyed our immigration laws and patiently awaited their turn to come here.

These parents who dragged their kids hundreds of miles to get here, are not good parents. What parent puts their child through that instead of asking for asylum in Mexico? We all know why they want to come to America---for the freebies. Once they birth an anchor baby, the whole family benefits in the form of EBT and Section 8 housing.

If they get separated from their kids, it's all on the parents.

All that said, you are free to put your money where your mouth is and open your own home to several illegal aliens.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:

If Jesus were at that border, do you think he would be ripping babies and small children from their parents? Do you think he would be shooting 20 year old young women in the head? Do you think he would discount the almost 1,500 children who cannot be found since they were turned over to the tender mercies of our government?

What would Jesus do? Even if you are not a Christian, think about it. If you are a Christian, remember that Christians are called upon to be the Hands of Christ in the World.

The hands enforcing this hellish measure are not those of Christ.
What would Jesus do? Jesus told his followers to obey the laws of the land and to render unto Caesar that which is his. Illegal aliens do none of those things.

For the part of your post that I removed from the quote --- It's not our problem that there is "deadly violence" in other countries. We simply can't take in the entire third world without descending into third world status ourselves.

Besides, as others have pointed out before---Many people vacation in Honduras and Guatemala. Some either buy vacation homes or decide to permanently live there. If there was so much "deadly violence", do you think anyone would vacation there, let alone buy a home?

Many Americans live in neighborhoods that are infested with gangs. They don't pack up and go to Canada. Instead, if they have the means, they move to another area in the US or they get after the local politicians and demand change.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,804,919 times
How about Congress get off their duffs, use a couple of hours worth of time, and rewrite these insane policies? Kill the incentive once and for all for people to make bogus refugee claims.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:36 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
how is this baby-snatching policy going to deter young males who join MS-13? Also, why not just send families back intact? And who is caring for all these kids? Are the Feds dumping them into state foster systems? Who is paying for it?
There is no baby snatching policy. Those who come to port of entry seeking asylum are not separated. Those smuggling children across the boarder run the risk of being separated as they are committing a crime just as American citizens' children are put into foster care when American citizen commit a crime. Authorities do not even know if the adults with children are the children's parents.

Have you heard the amount of complaining going on concerning turning people away from the border? They try. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:00 PM

62,353 posts, read 27,748,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Where has the compassion for humanity gone? Just because we now have bigots, big time in the Trump administration and he is the bigot in chief, does not mean we all have to be morally wrong.
How do we not have compassion? 1 million foreigners legally immigrate to the US every year. No one objects to that.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:58 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Quote:
"Trump's inhumane border policy is tearing families apart and traumatizing children."
This policy was started by Obama's administration. And I heard this on NPR!!!

Otherwise, these refugees should NOT be trying to use their children as a means for entry into America!!!

And since this policy was begun under Obama, these refugees should have known better than to try to come to America. Instead, they could have just asked Mexico for asylum. Plus they speak the same language as the Mexican people... so it would be a win-win-win (acceptance-keeping their children with them-speaking the same language) situation!!!

Last edited by miu; 05-30-2018 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 05:52 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Where has the compassion for humanity gone? Just because we now have bigots, big time in the Trump administration and he is the bigot in chief, does not mean we all have to be morally wrong.
We can't take in everyone that wants to abandon their dysfunctional country. If we let in everyone who appears along our borders or arrives by plane, we would be quickly overwhelmed by millions, even billions of people claiming refugee status.

True compassion would be finding a way to fix their sh*thole country so that all these faux refugees would want to stay in their home countries where they belong. After all, a luxury once sampled becomes a necessity. So it is rather cruel to give a temporary refugee a taste of a First World country to send them back home later on. We need to keep these people in their own countries, or arrange to house them nearby in another South America country where they speak the same language and have a similar culture.

Look at the problem we have with DACA's who longer love their home country and want to stay in America forever. And it's thievery to steal the best young people from their home countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or