Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Earlier this month, when Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced plans to prosecute “100 percent” of migrants illegally crossing the Mexican border, it became official US policy to routinely separate children from their parents.

Already, hundreds of children have been ripped from their families: 658 kids in the first 13 days of the program alone, Customs and Border Protection disclosed in a Senate subcommittee hearing Wednesday.

This policy—which advocates say in practice mainly targets women and youths seeking asylum from the violence-ridden countries of Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador—is intended to punish the adults by criminally prosecuting them for entering the country, thereby deterring others from making the journey north.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...lly-looks-like

Yep, that's exactly the purpose of the policy. But why in the world is this a bad thing to leftists??

The way I look at it, these "asylum" seekers from Honduras and other countries aren't truly seeking to keep their children from being killed by gangs, etc. No, they are looking for cushy benefits and a better life (can't really blame them) from the United States. If they were truly looking for safety, they'd stop and apply for asylum in the first/closest country where they didn't face such a risk, which is NOT the United States. Again, I can't fault people for trying to better their lives, but we cannot help everybody, and I'm particularly not interested in helping those who pass by safe countries (including safe cities within countries) en route to the United States claiming that they need "asylum."

What really frustrated me were reports that "asylum" seekers were being told to present themselves as such (despite not truly being in such a situation) as it increased their chances of not being turned around at the border and getting to stay. Well, enough is enough. I thank President Trump for having the courage to do the tough, but necessary things to prevent this fraud from infiltrating the United States.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
You really think this is acceptable?

Are you aware that year-old babies are being snatched away from their mothers and placed in so-called "shelters", often in other states from where the parents - who are seeking asylum as refugees, aka fleeing persecution - are kept? Do you know what this kind of separation does to infants and small children? Are you aware that over seventeen hundred children in this kind of government "care" have gone missing and cannot be located by our government?

What kind of cold, heartless person proposes or supports this completely unnecessary and harmful action? Separating children from adults was a Nazi practice. Why is our government engaging in it?? Even when Japanese-American families were (shamefully) sent to relocation camps during WWII, they were allowed to remain together.

I am not a leftist. I am a moderate Democrat. But I am strongly opposed to such a cruel, heartless, damaging, and un-American practice such as this.

If you have ever loved or cared about a child, just think how you'd feel were that child treated as these innocents are being treated. Imagine being that child you care about, terrified, being forced from your parents by armed strangers who speak a different language.

Imagine never knowing if or when you'd ever see your parents again. Imagine being sent away to live with other children and cared for by strangers who don't love you or have enough resources to properly care for you and the other children locked up with you. Imagine being bullied by the older, stronger, unsupervised children. Imagine your fear - and your grief.

Now, imagine being five years old. Even younger.

How would you feel?

I am embarrassed by and ashamed of my country right now, and I want it to return to what it was until Trump took office. I want to make America America again, a place I can proudly call my own. Free. Democratic with a small "d". Honorable. A place that protects and nurtures the weak and the powerless into strength. A place which protects its resources, educates its children, respects its people. I want my representatives to truly represent me, not special interests. I want my country to return to being that shining city on a hill. I want an end to cruelty, lies, and corruption.

I want my country back.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Trump is calling his own policy terrible.

Trump calls family separation policy 'horrible' in tweet
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-609615

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...75761604370434

Old 05-27-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Are you aware that year-old babies are being snatched away from their mothers and placed in so-called "shelters", often in other states from where the parents - who are seeking asylum as refugees, aka fleeing persecution - are kept? Do you know what this kind of separation does to infants and small children? Are you aware that over seventeen hundred children in this kind of government "care" have gone missing and cannot be located by our government?

What kind of cold, heartless person proposes or supports this completely unnecessary and harmful action? Separating children from adults was a Nazi practice. Why is our government engaging in it?? Even when Japanese-American families were (shamefully) sent to relocation camps during WWII, they were allowed to remain together.

I am not a leftist. I am a moderate Democrat. But I am strongly opposed to such a cruel, heartless, damaging, and un-American practice such as this.

If you have ever loved or cared about a child, just think how you'd feel were that child treated as these innocents are being treated. Imagine being that child you care about, terrified, being forced from your parents by armed strangers who speak a different language.

Imagine never knowing if or when you'd ever see your parents again. Imagine being sent away to live with other children and cared for by strangers who don't love you or have enough resources to properly care for you and the other children locked up with you. Imagine being bullied by the older, stronger, unsupervised children. Imagine your fear - and your grief.

How would you feel?

I am embarrassed by and ashamed of my country right now, and I want it to return to what it was until Trump took office. I want to make America America again, a place I can proudly call my own. Free. Democratic with a small "d". Honorable. A place that protects and nurtures the weak and the powerless into strength. A place which protects its resources, educates its children, respects its people. I want my representatives to truly represent me, not special interests. I want my country to return to being that shining city on a hill. I want an end to cruelty, lies, and corruption.

I want my country back.
Is it ideal? No. But nor are thousands and thousands of people flooding our border trying to take advantage of asylum laws (or just jumping the border). If this is what it takes to deter this madness, then so be it.

I thank God for President Trump for enforcing our laws and defending our borders.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump is calling his own policy terrible.

Trump calls family separation policy 'horrible' in tweet
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-609615

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...75761604370434
It is a horrible policy. But unpleasant policy is sometimes necessary to maintain law and order. The days of letting countless people disregard our laws and sovereignty and cross into the country without consequence are over.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:19 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:

YES. We do the same with other convicted criminals. Why do oyu want to treat illegals any different?

So what? DON'T sneak in ILLEGALLY and these things will NOT happen.

It is the FAULT of the parents NOT the United States.

We are a COUNTRY, NOT some do good liberal charity

How would you feel?

I want my country back.

Then kick out ALL the illegals

Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:

Are you aware that year-old babies are being snatched away from their mothers and placed in so-called "shelters"
Strange as it may seem, VIOLATING Federal Law has consequences. It is a CHOICE to violate such laws. Don't want to have your kids taken away? Don't violate Federal Law.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
It could be worse. Shooting them on sight would be inhumane. What they're doing now is just a deterrent, but it won't last.

Eventually, and hopefully not very soon, I fully expect the liberals to open up the borders again and we'll be back to square one. We are fighting a losing battle. The U.S. will run out of money before Mexico, El Salvador, et al. ever runs out of migrants that come here illegally.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:46 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
They can either get separated here or remain together at home. It's time we make life here very unpleasant for illegals.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
How is protecting our borders inhumane? We are called as a nation to keep our borders protected. Period. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration