U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,049 posts, read 29,133,009 times
Reputation: 90140

Advertisements

Good video.

YouTube - Press One For English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,049 posts, read 29,133,009 times
Reputation: 90140
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very good.
Thank you - Those automated messsages that tell you to "Press" something, only to take you to another menu, are annoying enough, adding more options for English or different languages are even more annoying! I know if you're familiar with all the options, you can press a number and go directly to the option you want, but if you're calling the number for the first time, having to listen all of those options can drive you up the wall, especially if you have to go through several menus to get to the option you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,652,204 times
Reputation: 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Good video.
Unfortunately, Mike, a point rarely addressed by those condoning the "English Not Necessary" movement is fairly simple . . . anyone not speaking English in this country will always be a "second or third class citizen" which is a total contradiction as to why they emigrated here in the first place.

Anyone or any business promoting and/or condoning Non-English with signage or phone options is doing so out of GREED and Blatant Disrespect for this great country.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Rosarito Beach
334 posts, read 741,414 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Thank you - Those automated messsages that tell you to "Press" something, only to take you to another menu, are annoying enough, adding more options for English or different languages are even more annoying! I know if you're familiar with all the options, you can press a number and go directly to the option you want, but if you're calling the number for the first time, having to listen all of those options can drive you up the wall, especially if you have to go through several menus to get to the option you want!
The way to get to a "live body" quickly is to push the button for Spanish. Usually not too many people in line (depending on the business). Oh yeah, if you don't speak spanish, its OK, the person you reach will speak english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
 
394 posts, read 896,205 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
the sound on my puter is broke, so i'm basically deaf here. could someone give me some digital sign language and fill me in on the video......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
The way to get to a "live body" quickly is to push the button for Spanish. Usually not too many people in line (depending on the business). Oh yeah, if you don't speak spanish, its OK, the person you reach will speak english
55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. Spanish speakers already have the vocabulary to learn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
the sound on my puter is broke, so i'm basically deaf here. could someone give me some digital sign language and fill me in on the video......thanks

The singer is driving and says "I can't read that sign out there, please tell me what it says" and why do we need 5 languages these days and how we don't ask to much to share our land of liberties but if it's not too much to ask -- please speak English. Every sign that's posted here I should understand and English is the language of the USA. And how we welcome outsiders but they should learn our language if they wish to come.

And we don't live in China or Mexico or some foreign place so we should be able to read the signs posted here in our land. And she believes in open doors but simply asks that they bother to learn the language of this great land. And why are we having to press one for the language of this land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
Reputation: 8976
My cellphone voicemail says "To leave a message in English press 1, to leave a message in Spanish call INS"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 02:51 PM
 
394 posts, read 896,205 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The singer is driving and says "I can't read that sign out there, please tell me what it says" and why do we need 5 languages these days and how we don't ask to much to share our land of liberties but if it's not too much to ask -- please speak English. Every sign that's posted here I should understand and English is the language of the USA. And how we welcome outsiders but they should learn our language if they wish to come.

And we don't live in China or Mexico or some foreign place so we should be able to read the signs posted here in our land. And she believes in open doors but simply asks that they bother to learn the language of this great land. And why are we having to press one for the language of this land.
agreed....and thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top