Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM

254 posts, read 590,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And how much will that all cost the taxpayers? Why should we even be allowing these people out of detention when the vast majority don't show up for their court dates?

Those who are true "asylum seekers" are the ones most likely to show up on their court dates.

Ideally there would not be illegal immigration, if there was a way to completely end it without spending money I think everyone would go for it. Give me one practical solution where no money is spent on it. Moreover it actually costs less to have a social worker helping them than to keep them in prison.

The program posted there claimed that 99% of the people under the program showed for the court dates, so it solved the humanitarian problem of putting children in jail or separating them from their families, while ensuring they complete their process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 03:23 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Ideally there would not be illegal immigration, if there was a way to completely end it without spending money I think everyone would go for it. Give me one practical solution where no money is spent on it. Moreover it actually costs less to have a social worker helping them than to keep them in prison.

The program posted there claimed that 99% of the people under the program showed for the court dates, so it solved the humanitarian problem of putting children in jail or separating them from their families, while ensuring they complete their process.
First of all, the laws for seeking asylum need to be changed so that anyone who wants asylum in the US has to present him/herself at an American consulate/embassy and make their case. Anyone who just shows up at the border or at an airport needs to be turned around and sent home to apply in their own country.

When they go to an embassy/consulate and it is determined that they have a credible claim and are in immediate danger, then come up with workable arrangements to deal with that.

As is now, when those from the banana republics show up at the US border, the law says that they have to be allowed in and get a hearing. Hiring social workers to act as babysitters is very expensive. Plus most of these people don't have credible claims. Why else do you think they don't show up for their court dates?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:33 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Why can't we imprison entire families.

As it stands now they separate families and send kids to facilities that requrie the hiring of adults and providing facilities for children that aren't supervised.

And the Trump administration announced they will keep families together -- so they figured it out...doesn't matter if we can't figure it out.
"Providing facilities for children that aren't supervised" - Huh? SO not true!

I am a long-time registered Democrat, but the crop of liberals who has changed the party into what it is today, I no longer recognize my party. We have too much to the right and too much to the left when we should be down the middle, respect each other, and move forward using common sense, informed and critical thinking. The political climate has turned toxic overall.

As much as I adored Bernie, his ideas of free education and health care border on impossible. Who is supposed to be paying for all these freebies? Lemme guess: the taxpayer. If someone wants an education, then study hard, apply for scholarships and work to cover the costs. There are kids nowadays graduating from high schools who need to take remedial courses once they enter college. When I graduated from high school and attended UC, California was number one in the country for its education system. Now California is 47th.

There are many kids who do not belong in higher education but they bought into the "you-must-have-a-college-degree" myth propolgated by well meaning parents. For example, as an HR Director, out of 500 marketing resumes I reviewed during the past year, most had degrees. And their current jobs were baristas, deli clerks, Uber drivers, stockroom workers. That is sad.

Anyway, I now fall into the refuse-to-state slot and vote for who I think will do the best job. No lofty promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration