Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:52 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I'll get upset about the "violent" illegal immigrants when we actually start trying to stop violent criminals.

I guess as long as it's Americans murdering Americans it's ok. god forbid an illegal kill someone.
God forbid an illegal kill an American in America.

What other Americans do is irrelevant. There is a record of their existence so they will be found out.

The illegals can fade into the woodwork and continue to murder, rape, rob.

Illegals have no respect for America or Americans. Why should they refrain from committing crimes against them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 09:23 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
I blame Obama. I read somewhere reputable that many of these immigrants were flown into the country on Air Force Three and given pamphlets on how to vote illegally.
Fake news! In reality, it was Air Force Three and a Half. The right wing of the airplane was removed, leaving only the left wing.This was all documented on the fair and balanced web site, The Daily Barrel Roll.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They pay taxes. Property and sales for sure.
Those that are employed pay income and employment taxes. And many will not be able to collect the benefits.

And the children are US citizens who will pay taxes most of their lives and have the same rights to educatlion as any other American.

And yet again we need to fix the problem. And the only rational way is to legalize most. Our own fault for letting the problem get so large that no other solution is practical.
Some estimates say Texas construction workers are comprised of between 1/4/and 1/2 illegals. Many of them are paid in cash. We do have a high sales tax in the Houston area.

I agree that this problem has been ignored and swept under the rug for so long it has reached critical mass. IMO, the congress needs to address this ASAP. Their base wants illegals stopped, the buyers of congress people want to keep illegals coming.

People better get ready for higher prices on much of what they buy or build.

Anybody who thinks we can save the world needs to watch Roy Beck in his gum ball presentation on Numbers USA.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I'll get upset about the "violent" illegal immigrants when we actually start trying to stop violent criminals.

I guess as long as it's Americans murdering Americans it's ok. god forbid an illegal kill someone.
^^^^Seriously? First of all, no one denies that we have our own homegrown lowlifes. Every country has the same problem. Second, illegal aliens have no business being here. Every American who has been victimized by an illegal would not have been a victim if that illegal wasn't here. I suggest you do some googling and read about what the victims of illegal alien crime (not all of it is violent crime---many have been victims of ID theft by illegals) and what they've been put through. All the while, when you read about it, keep in mind that these people would never have been victimized had that illegal not been in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
My grandparents were immigrants. My mother was an immigrant. The doors that were open to them have closed. I support all immigrants, legal or illegal. I want them to have the same chances I have had. I'd rather my tax dollars supported immigrants than the billionaires, but that's not my choice to make. I wish all immigrants seeking a better life for themselves and their families well, legal or not. People paint illegal immigrants as criminals but outside of their being here illegally I believe the statistics show they are more law abiding than the average citizen.

You support illegal aliens Do you realize that illegal immigration is a slap in the face to legal immigrants? Try talking to some legal immigrants and hear how it took them years to get permission to come here and listen to them when they tell you about all the hoops they had to jump through and money they had to spend to get here. Legal immigrants I've talked to are angry about all the illegal aliens who are here.

In the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century, our country was very different then. We had lots of room to expand plus we were a largely agrarian and industrial society. Many Americans were illiterate as were the immigrants who came here. At that point in time, they were able to find work. Also, there were no welfare programs then. Americans and immigrants alike knew that it was either sink or swim.

Today, we allow 1 million legal immigrants per year into this country. Not to mention that we have untold millions of illegal aliens here. We don't have unlimited buildable land or potable water. Plus, we have far too many unskilled legal immigrants using welfare programs. Once illegal aliens birth an anchor baby, said child is eligible for all sorts of welfare programs which, of course, the whole family benefits from. Our infrastructure is crumbling. Many areas have experienced rapid growth to the point where they have to choose between adding to the infrastructure to keep up or repairing the existing infrastructure. Our schools are being strained to their limits as they have to deal with kids coming to school not knowing a word of English. Kids who come to school fully prepared are the ones now suffering due to that.

How many people will be too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion? In India, which has over 1 billion people, Banagalore doesn't have enough potable water. That's not a future I want to see for my descendants. Is that the type of future you want to see?

Old 09-07-2018, 05:35 PM

1,011 posts, read 785,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAMixingBowl View Post
American kids working at an unskilled and repetitious job is a good thing for this country?

Any 16-18 year old should be working at a fast food or retail store as a start or during College its not a career its a job to gain experience and learn from it.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
On the aspect of this conversation about low end jobs not paying a living wage, yes that is a change from decades ago and we can thank our politicians for that. Allowing millions of illegals to pour into the country has served to depress wages at the lower end of the scale. Globalism has served to depress wages for the middle class. In the "good old days" businesses in the US did not have to compete with 3rd world hellholes where workers get $1/hr and there are effectively no labor and environmental laws to comply with. The politically connected got fabulously wealthy with globalism and the middle class became downwardly mobile.

On the social responsibility for the poor part of the conversation, we spend enough money per student on our inner city schools to send those kids to private school. There are various social programs trying to help the underclass everywhere you look. The problem is not lack of resources being thrown at the problem. It is cultural. Schools can't make parents parent. Well-intentioned social programs have failed to expect recipients to do anything to help themselves. You can't help people who don't want to be helped.

I grew up poor. For various reasons my Dad didn't finish 8th grade and my Mom didn't finish 10th, yet they raised us to value education and to play by the rules. Of us 6 kids, 5 graduated college, 2 got Masters degrees, 1 became a lawyer, and 1 a Phd. The 6th had a solid career in law enforcement. My parents couldn't afford to contribute a dime to our education but my siblings and I made the sacrifices and did the hard work to do it on our own. What they gave us was good parenting which is free to those who choose to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration