Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

There is no zero unemployment. We don't have the natural or social resources to just allow anyone that wants to migrate to our country to be able to do so. We cannot be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world. We have to keep our population growth under control. It is mostly the poor, unskilled and uneducated that want to migrate here and they are a burden to our society not a benefit.

How is it isolationism, protectionism, tribalism or xenophobia to still allow 1 million legal immigrants to migrate here annually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What are the obvious reasons? You have an effective zero rate of unemployment. Why would you NOT want more immigrants???
Here's an obvious reason. I don't want to hear ear grating and ear piercingly loud Spanish spoken all around me in public. Then there's the African muslims in their attire and foreign yammering and unappealing appearance. Our towns are so crowded and to be surrounded with foreigners and all their kids making so much racket is ridiculous. I want to hear no immigrants and see no immigrants and then I won't even have to speak of them.

So there's your obvious reasons. It constitutes a big eye and ear sore and it's just objectional to have so many foreigners in your territory consuming resources and space.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Here's an obvious reason. I don't want to hear ear grating and ear piercingly loud Spanish spoken all around me in public. Then there's the African muslims in their attire and foreign yammering and unappealing appearance. Our towns are so crowded and to be surrounded with foreigners and all their kids making so much racket is ridiculous. I want to hear no immigrants and see no immigrants and then I won't even have to speak of them.

So there's your obvious reasons. It constitutes a big eye and ear sore and it's just objectional to have so many foreigners in your territory consuming resources and space.
Those aren't reasons, those are racist perspectives.

Spanish is a beautiful, European language. Seeing the USA has no official language, why does it bother you that someone speaks another language. My bet is they know English a lot better than you know Spanish. I speak three languages, and am trying to learn Spanish.

Besides which, Spanish descendants occupied a large part of the USA long before any English speaking people did. Wonder what they thought of that English yammering? Wadda all y'all think?

Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Those aren't reasons, those are racist perspectives.

Spanish is a beautiful, European language. Seeing the USA has no official language, why does it bother you that someone speaks another language. My bet is they know English a lot better than you know Spanish. I speak three languages, and am trying to learn Spanish.

Besides which, Spanish descendants occupied a large part of the USA long before any English speaking people did. Wonder what they thought of that English yammering? Wadda all y'all think?
That's just your worthless and accusatory opinion. You want opinion, I think your perspective is anti-Anglo America. You don't get to decide for everyone else what is acceptable let alone what's desirable. There were no historical "Spanish descendants" where I'm living nor in large parts of America and very few in the southwest. That matter was all settled almost 200 years. If these foreign idiots shouting in foreign languages in public know English than that just proves they're the a-holes they appear to be.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
That's just your worthless and accusatory opinion. You want opinion, I think your perspective is anti-Anglo America. You don't get to decide for everyone else what is acceptable let alone what's desirable.
You're funny. Don't you think you were stating many opinions? I'm a humanist. Any idea what that means? Oh, and come from a fairly dominate strain of Nordic stock. I'm not anti, but pro.

Quote:
There were no historical "Spanish descendants" where I'm living nor in large parts of America and very few in the southwest. That matter was all settled almost 200 years. If these foreign idiots shouting in foreign languages in public know English than that just proves they're the a-holes they appear to be.
Very few Spanish in the Southwest??? How was your highschool American history class, or did you not take that one? Florida was settled by the Spanish. As were wide swaths of the south. Bet you thought all citizens of the Louisiana Purchase were French, right?

I frequently speak one of my other languages, in public. No one complains. But then perhaps you can't communicate in more than one language.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
You're funny. Don't you think you were stating many opinions? I'm a humanist. Any idea what that means? Oh, and come from a fairly dominate strain of Nordic stock. I'm not anti, but pro.

Very few Spanish in the Southwest??? How was your highschool American history class, or did you not take that one? Florida was settled by the Spanish. As were wide swaths of the south. Bet you thought all citizens of the Louisiana Purchase were French, right?

I frequently speak one of my other languages, in public. No one complains. But then perhaps you can't communicate in more than one language.
First off these aliens are not Spanish but mestizos from Mexico and Latin America. The Spanish had very few and small settlements in America since for one thing American Indian tribes were hostile toward them and vice versa. Mexico only claimed parts of the Southwest for a few decades after independence from Spain. In 1846 when the Mexico-US border was established there were only about 100,000 Mexicans north of the border.

But all that history is not really relevant. The issue is large suburbs of America that were 90% American white and the remainder American black are now flooded with foreigners who are recent arrivals. You really show your ignorance of America's situation.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:37 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Yeah, we kind of are accepting of other cultures. Heck, we even feature their foods in our grocery stores... go figure, huh?

Hard working family people are alway welcome here. We encourage it. And guess what, like me, they learn how to speak English (or French if in Quebec), and adapt to our country.

One of the issues here though is the immigrants don’t want to adapt or assimilate. Most come here and then want to continue to live exactly like they lived in their home country, fly their own flags, not learn English, and take over complete neighborhoods or towns and make us assimilate to them. We must be bilingual to work in our own country plus provide free medical care, education, housing, food stamps, baby care , etc., so what do we do?

Old 09-16-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
First off these aliens are not Spanish but mestizos from Mexico and Latin America. The Spanish had very few and small settlements in America since for one thing American Indian tribes were hostile toward them and vice versa. Mexico only claimed parts of the Southwest for a few decades after independence from Spain. In 1846 when the Mexico-US border was established there were only about 100,000 Mexicans north of the border.

But all that history is not really relevant. The issue is large suburbs of America that were 90% American white and the remainder American black are now flooded with foreigners who are recent arrivals. You really show your ignorance of America's situation.
I welcome immigrants who come to better themselves. They are mostly family people, who have strong familial connections, are hard, hard workers, and have a desire to be better educated and certainly have an entrepreneurial zeal.

Sounds to me that is how you build a country.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I welcome immigrants who come to better themselves. They are mostly family people, who have strong familial connections, are hard, hard workers, and have a desire to be better educated and certainly have an entrepreneurial zeal.

Sounds to me that is how you build a country.
Well you are welcome to all the hordes of immigrant people in my city. I bet if you experienced their company in your town you wouldn't have such goodwill.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Well you are welcome to all the hordes of immigrant people in my city. I bet if you experienced their company in your town you wouldn't have such goodwill.
Not sure what you define as "hordes" but certainly I have friends who are some of those immigrants you despise. Get to know some... they are good people, good family people, and work their butt off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration