Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Is it a rebuttal? Doesn't change anything.

"Highly Skilled Immigrants get the job done" has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. Highly skilled immigrants implies legal immigrants, they would most likely meet the criteria for legal immigration into the US. I've never heard of a highly skilled illegal immigrant, why would a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc. enter as an illegal when they can enter legally and reap the full benefits of being a resident without the risk of being deported. Whether temporary Visa or permanent resident immigration.
I’ve known people who were lawyers, accountants and dentists in their country of origin and at one time or another were here illegally. Each had their own set of circumstances that led to that which I won’t go into....but yeah, it happens much more often than you would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,095 times
Our "broken immigration system" is only that way because of bleeding hearts who do not follow the laws already on the books. "Fixing the system" is another term for opening the borders. We would be better off if our current immigration rules -- lax in comparison to most countries -- were followed without throwing politics into the mix. We have enough unskilled, non-English speaking residents that are a proven drain on the Anerican taxpayers.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’ve known people who were lawyers, accountants and dentists in their country of origin and at one time or another were here illegally. Each had their own set of circumstances that led to that which I won’t go into....but yeah, it happens much more often than you would think.
Shrug, and I've known legal immigrants who never broke any immigration laws. They all toughed it out and did it the right way. Those people I can respect. Illegals? Well they get exactly what they have earned. Scorn and complete disrespect. We owe them nothing. We owe them no sympathies, or favors. WE absolutely dont owe them any shortened path to citizenship.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Shrug, and I've known legal immigrants who never broke any immigration laws. They all toughed it out and did it the right way. Those people I can respect. Illegals? Well they get exactly what they have earned. Scorn and complete disrespect. We owe them nothing. We owe them no sympathies, or favors. WE absolutely dont owe them any shortened path to citizenship.
But at the end of the day is there really that much of a difference between a hundred Puerto Ricans moving into your neighborhood and a hundred Mexicans?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:12 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
But at the end of the day is there really that much of a difference between a hundred Puerto Ricans moving into your neighborhood and a hundred Mexicans?
None at all, if the Mexicans are here legally. Puerto Ricans have the right to move into my neighborhood, provided they bought or rented a property. Mexicans do not.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Also, who is suggesting a shortened pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens? The only pathway I’ve heard being floated around is 10 years and this is after paying back taxes, demonstrating English proficency and knowledge of our nation’s history and laws and being an otherwise law abiding citizen....what is this shortened pathway you speak of?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 AM

62,859 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Also, who is suggesting a shortened pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens? The only pathway I’ve heard being floated around is 10 years and this is after paying back taxes, demonstrating English proficency and knowledge of our nation’s history and laws and being an otherwise law abiding citizen....what is this shortened pathway you speak of?

Here's what you're not getting. We don't need these people. Americans need their jobs back. It's a slap in the face to immigrants who followed our laws to come here and within our annual quotas.

As to your comments about Puerto Ricans vs Mexicans Puerto Ricans are already citizens of our country. Mexicans here illegally are not and in fact are here in violation of our immigration laws. We already had a failed amnesty back in 1986. When do these amnesties end? It's already proven that if you reward immigration law breakers it just encourages more to come here.

You do know that using a fake or stolen SS to work or working for cash evading taxes are felonies, don't you? Felonies should not be swept under the rug and then rewarded. Americans get jail time for felonies they commit.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
Those people made bad decisions. They probably aren't very good at their professions if they chose to break the law.

Quote:
The "shortened path" is the very thing you and others are arguing here, it's the protesting that happens around the country, aka "immigration reform". We don't need it, there's nothing to reform, immigration laws work fine and allows 1 million new immigrants into the US every year. Most of those people won't qualify which is why they want this reform or amnesty.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Those people made bad decisions. They probably aren't very good at their professions if they chose to break the law.

The "shortened path" is the very thing you and others are arguing here, it's the protesting that happens around the country, aka "immigration reform". We don't need it, there's nothing to reform, immigration laws work fine and allows 1 million new immigrants into the US every year. Most of those people won't qualify which is why they want this reform or amnesty.
10 years then, that is your shortened path...ok, got it. What is the long path then?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's what you're not getting. We don't need these people. Americans need their jobs back. It's a slap in the face to immigrants who followed our laws to come here and within our annual quotas.

As to your comments about Puerto Ricans vs Mexicans Puerto Ricans are already citizens of our country. Mexicans here illegally are not and in fact are here in violation of our immigration laws. We already had a failed amnesty back in 1986. When do these amnesties end? It's already proven that if you reward immigration law breakers it just encourages more to come here.

You do know that using a fake or stolen SS to work or working for cash evading taxes are felonies, don't you? Felonies should not be swept under the rug and then rewarded. Americans get jail time for felonies they commit.
Americans need their job back? What on Earth!? Who??? The unemployment rate of is like 3% and there are labor shortages everywhere. There is literally an available job for everyone who wants one and then thousands more to spare. Sorry but you lost me with that comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: