Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,366,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Since I did the immigration application for my hubby and paid a couple thousand bucks for the privilege while he had to get biometrics, background check, driving record, record of all past residences and jobs, medical exam and vaccinations (he couldn't find his original proof so he got all the shots again for good measure) and we also had to show evidence of our bona fide marriage and have a face to face interview with homeland security and the whole thing took MONTHS to complete and I didn't even use a lawyer, I'd like to know what supporters of illegal immigration think of people like us who go the legal route.

Are we just idiots who shouldn't have bothered?
Should we now get our money back and be compensated for wasting all that time and paper and expense?

I am really curious because I know firsthand how ridiculous the process is and we did it TWICE because why you ask? Because we're honest, that's why. When we moved to Canada for 3 years we honestly didn't even know about the form we could have filed stating that he'd be living outside the US for a while and when we got to a point where we weren't sure when we'd be coming back to the US, my husband drove to the border and surrendered his green card to the officer voluntarily because that's what the law says you should do.

And when we DID come back to the States we went through the whole. Process. All. Over. Again. Another 1500 bucks, another background check, another round of vaccines (Tex Med clinic refused to give him his proof of vaccination, don't ask why, I'm still livid over it.) another physical exam, another face to face interview. Homeland's file on us is like 3 inches thick. I'm not even KIDDING.

So tell me please why just anyone should be allowed to waltz into the country and stay with all the rights of every citizen and legal immigrant. What makes those people special? Are we just chopped liver?

And would you please start a movement to return all the money paid by legal immigrants then if you truly believe we should not have had to do this whole thing? Because I can really use that $3000+ back honestly.
My spouse just received his citizenship after 5 years of hard work, money paid, reams of paperwork filled out and of course tons of waiting time on our part.

He has been a contributor to society, paying taxes, following the rules and now voting. We find it a slap in the face to us and to all Americans that there is one set of rules that we must follow, while the elites are perfectly happy having a vast underground group of people that they can not only take advantage of but who do not have to live within the rules of our society.

People complain that restaurants wouldn't be able to stay in business or farms would dry up without illegal workers. If a business needs to run in an extra-legal manner, then it shouldn't be in business or the business model is flawed.

Why are those of us, who are American citizens or legal immigrants with green cards, who must get permission from the government to work set apart from illegals and those who hire illegals? Are illegals and those who hire them so special that those on the left believe they should have special rights to avoid the rules that all legal people must follow to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 11:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Since I did the immigration application for my hubby and paid a couple thousand bucks for the privilege while he had to get biometrics, background check, driving record, record of all past residences and jobs, medical exam and vaccinations (he couldn't find his original proof so he got all the shots again for good measure) and we also had to show evidence of our bona fide marriage and have a face to face interview with homeland security and the whole thing took MONTHS to complete and I didn't even use a lawyer, I'd like to know what supporters of illegal immigration think of people like us who go the legal route.

Are we just idiots who shouldn't have bothered?
Should we now get our money back and be compensated for wasting all that time and paper and expense?

I am really curious because I know firsthand how ridiculous the process is and we did it TWICE because why you ask? Because we're honest, that's why. When we moved to Canada for 3 years we honestly didn't even know about the form we could have filed stating that he'd be living outside the US for a while and when we got to a point where we weren't sure when we'd be coming back to the US, my husband drove to the border and surrendered his green card to the officer voluntarily because that's what the law says you should do.

And when we DID come back to the States we went through the whole. Process. All. Over. Again. Another 1500 bucks, another background check, another round of vaccines (Tex Med clinic refused to give him his proof of vaccination, don't ask why, I'm still livid over it.) another physical exam, another face to face interview. Homeland's file on us is like 3 inches thick. I'm not even KIDDING.

So tell me please why just anyone should be allowed to waltz into the country and stay with all the rights of every citizen and legal immigrant. What makes those people special? Are we just chopped liver?

And would you please start a movement to return all the money paid by legal immigrants then if you truly believe we should not have had to do this whole thing? Because I can really use that $3000+ back honestly.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration