Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:07 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no problem ending birthright citizenship. Having said this:

Trump said the “US is the only country that grants birthright citizenshiphis ”. He’s either lying or misinformed.

Trump said “they said I can do it just with an EO”.

Who is “ they”?
They = his lawyers.

Apparently, prior to 1960's, the US govt did not recognize birthright citizenship. At some point a court decision held that if you are born in the US you are an American by birth (birthright citizenship). May be never went to the US Supreme Court, but was enacted to by executive order. So, Trump could undo by exec order until a court finds otherwise. Given his nominations, anything is possible. Would create a humongous mess even if the time between EO and final court decision is just several weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 AM

827 posts, read 660,157 times
Bitrhright Cirizenship is something that should been ended long ago. when the law was made they didn't know what a Mexican was and had nothing to do with Hispanics . It was a bad law then and a worse law the day

Old 12-09-2018, 01:40 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike town View Post
bitrhright cirizenship is something that should been ended long ago. When the law was made they didn't know what a mexican was and had nothing to do with hispanics . It was a bad law then and a worse law the day
+ 1.

A few of my in-laws along with their spouses, legal immigrants (green card) that have been living in this land of milk and honey for the better part of 50+ years, never considered applying for citizenship, had children that were automatically citizens.

If I had a say... after a given amount of time, you and yours either pledge allegiance to our flag and apply for citizenship or go home.

Last edited by bgrasser; 12-09-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 03:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
+ 1.

A few of my in-laws along with their spouses, legal immigrants (green card) that have been living in this land of milk and honey for the better part of 50+ years, never considered applying for citizenship, had children that were automatically citizens.

If I had a say... after a given amount of time, you and yours either pledge allegiance to our flag and apply for citizenship or go home.
Do every citizen pledge allegiance ?? I doubt it. Like for example people from other religions, those who dont stand for anthem etc..

Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Bitrhright Cirizenship is something that should been ended long ago. when the law was made they didn't know what a Mexican was and had nothing to do with Hispanics . It was a bad law then and a worse law the day

Actually, it's not even a law. The writer's of the 14th Amendment made it pretty clear that babies born from illegal aliens on our soil are not birthright citizens. It's merely been by PC policy that they have been deemed so. The Supreme Court needs to rule on the matter once and for all.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:17 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
+ 1.

Just illegal Mexicans? My British Great-Grandparents never became citizens. In fact Great-Grandma was three months pregnant on the boat. So Grandpa would be an Anchor Baby in your mind? Great-Grandpa (obviously) spoke English and was an educated man (Tax Collector over there). If no birthright citizenship, then Grandpa would not have been a citizen, nor my Dad, or even ME? You want to go that far? Let the dominoes fall?

Same with my Italian Great-Grandparents. Never Naturalized either. Great-Grandpa started his own business, employed others, and even bought a Manhattan Brownstone. Milking America? You don't think he paid a LOT of taxes to the US being that successful?

There there are Naturalized Citizens who leave. My former neighbor's, who started a roofing company, dying wish was to be buried in his own country of Mexico next to his family members. Didn't he swear allegiance to America????

My current neighbor is a Naturalized Citizen from the Philippines. He started his own Financial Services Company and owns two big houses in two different states. He told me that when he retires that he is going give his business to his birthright sons, sell both houses, and move back to the Philippines. I suppose both of these Naturalized Citizens, who milked America for decades, never really were PATRIOTIC Americans?

BTW, all American Citizens have the right to not say the Pledge of Allegiance; when their families came over the Mayflower or 5 years ago.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Just illegal Mexicans? My British Great-Grandparents never became citizens. In fact Great-Grandma was three months pregnant on the boat. So Grandpa would be an Anchor Baby in your mind? Great-Grandpa (obviously) spoke English and was an educated man (Tax Collector over there). If no birthright citizenship, then Grandpa would not have been a citizen, nor my Dad, or even ME? You want to go that far? Let the dominoes fall?

Same with my Italian Great-Grandparents. Never Naturalized either. Great-Grandpa started his own business, employed others, and even bought a Manhattan Brownstone. Milking America? You don't think he paid a LOT of taxes to the US being that successful?

There there are Naturalized Citizens who leave. My former neighbor's, who started a roofing company, dying wish was to be buried in his own country of Mexico next to his family members. Didn't he swear allegiance to America????

My current neighbor is a Naturalized Citizen from the Philippines. He started his own Financial Services Company and owns two big houses in two different states. He told me that when he retires that he is going give his business to his birthright sons, sell both houses, and move back to the Philippines. I suppose both of these Naturalized Citizens, who milked America for decades, never really were PATRIOTIC Americans?

BTW, all American Citizens have the right to not say the Pledge of Allegiance; when their families came over the Mayflower or 5 years ago.

If your great grandma came where under the legal process in place at the time then no her child born on our soil would not be an anchor baby. Only those who come here illegally can give birth to an anchor baby.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:42 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I don't think they will end it. And even if they do, they will create new problems.
If the child of 2 illegals is, itself, an illegal and that illegal person (the child) has a child 20 years later, then that person (#3) will forever be illegal.......
What you end up with after a couple decades is a population of several million illegals with no pathway forward - in any country.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Trying to keep up here. Is Trump following through on this as with all of his tweets? Should I prepare for the Constitutional Amendment?

Old 12-09-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't think they will end it. And even if they do, they will create new problems.
If the child of 2 illegals is, itself, an illegal and that illegal person (the child) has a child 20 years later, then that person (#3) will forever be illegal.......
What you end up with after a couple decades is a population of several million illegals with no pathway forward - in any country.

They will be citizens of their parent's homeland. They don't need a pathway for that. If the 14th is ever interpreted the way it should be it won't be retroactive anyway. It will only apply to anyone born after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration