Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,294,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Its a good start to get the conversation moving about it. We all know its a ponzy welfare scheme for third worlders to have their babies here. Then have the tax payer pay for the pregnancy, then pay for school ,food etc for the next 18 years.

I believe that one parent should be a citizen .
I believe it should be ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM

25,439 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
................ Actually, if they have at least one citizen parent they would be birthright citizens. You're really not understanding this issue.

Most countries don't recognize babies born from illegal aliens as birthright citizens or they at least require that one parent be a citizen. How do they handle it? It doesn't seem to be a problem in those countries.
There are 30 countries who recognize birthright, but there is a move to back away from that standard in one way or another.
Examples:
You must have one citizen parent; In France, the child must wait until he is 18; in Germany, one parent must be a legal resident for 8 years; https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-trump/574453/

I'm sure everyone agrees that the biggest problem is that the US is the country most people want to live in, so people will stretch the rules however they can. Dominican Republic "cracked down" recently - I thought that was kind of funny, but 10's of thousands of immigrants were suddenly stripped of their citizenship.

Canada, as the article explains, is struggling the same as the US. I don't think Trump is going to get away with "legislation with phone and pen" the way Obama tried.
But if birthright is a problem, chain migration is an even bigger problem. Got an uncle who is here legally?! ... Follow him, even if you are a ne'er-do-well from Pakistan!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't think they will end it. And even if they do, they will create new problems.
If the child of 2 illegals is, itself, an illegal and that illegal person (the child) has a child 20 years later, then that person (#3) will forever be illegal.......
What you end up with after a couple decades is a population of several million illegals with no pathway forward - in any country.
False. They're citizens of the country of their illegal alien forebears. Much like children born abroad to US citizen parents are US citizens.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:52 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
And if one is Brazilian and the other Mexican?
Dual Mexican/Brazilian citizens, but NOT U.S. citizens.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,364,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Just illegal Mexicans? My British Great-Grandparents never became citizens. In fact Great-Grandma was three months pregnant on the boat. So Grandpa would be an Anchor Baby in your mind? Great-Grandpa (obviously) spoke English and was an educated man (Tax Collector over there). If no birthright citizenship, then Grandpa would not have been a citizen, nor my Dad, or even ME? You want to go that far? Let the dominoes fall?

that could be me, the only one in my family to be born in United states, to british ancestor

Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
False. They're citizens of the country of their illegal alien forebears. Much like children born abroad to US citizen parents are US citizens.
That's the brick-headed approach to "just end birthright". Even after 3 generations in America we should just send them back.
I don't think congress will be dumb enough to pass that.
Birthright should be amended - and it has been in a great many free countries (post #82) - but ending it outright is unwise.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,757,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You don't understand what an "anchor baby" is. It's a baby born to an illegal alien or a woman who comes here as a tourist just to give birth to her baby.

If your Indian friends have been in this country legally and on a path to citizenship, then their child isn't an anchor baby.
I understand that, but if you read some of the hater posts, then they should all be sent back to India. There is that one size fits all mentality that's both simple minded and just pure hate. You get it, but many on this forum don't.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM

62,742 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
That's the brick-headed approach to "just end birthright". Even after 3 generations in America we should just send them back.
I don't think congress will be dumb enough to pass that.
Birthright should be amended - and it has been in a great many free countries (post #82) - but ending it outright is unwise.

I think I already explained to you that rescinding birthright citizenship for the offspring of illegal aliens would only be from the point forward that the law was passed. It would not be retroactive.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think I already explained to you that rescinding birthright citizenship for the offspring of illegal aliens would only be from the point forward that the law was passed. It would not be retroactive.
Of course. I know that. The discussion is about future ramifications.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:33 PM

62,742 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Of course. I know that. The discussion is about future ramifications.
There shouldn't be just as long as it's not retroactive. I don't see it being an issue in other countries where both or one of the parents have to be a citizen in order for their newborn to gain birthright citizenship in those countries. Many countries have changed to the above requirements. It wasn't always that way for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration