Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Like I said in another post, if you were born here, you missed all opportunites
and opted for a low skilled way of life, for these reason you have to compete with peolple with no education, and likely more motivated than you.
I'm sick of listening to the whining from people that have nothing going for them except that they are white.
I hired a local contractor for some work at my home, the guy was ripping
me off and the job quality sucked, I then fired these bumsand hired a crew of guys from Ecuador, they finished the job ahead of time with great quality
and for almost half the price.
I have no sympathy for these people that think they have the right to rip you off just because they are white, from now on I only hire migrant workers.

"""from now on I only hire migrant workers""' who you can rip off by paying them substandard wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:40 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Like I said in another post, if you were born here, you missed all opportunites
and opted for a low skilled way of life, for these reason you have to compete with peolple with no education, and likely more motivated than you.
I'm sick of listening to the whining from people that have nothing going for them except that they are white.
I hired a local contractor for some work at my home, the guy was ripping
me off and the job quality sucked, I then fired these bumsand hired a crew of guys from Ecuador, they finished the job ahead of time with great quality
and for almost half the price.
I have no sympathy for these people that think they have the right to rip you off just because they are white, from now on I only hire migrant workers.
The OP poster is a house painter, an honest occupation. He shouldn't HAVE to compete with illegals who are taken advantage of by anti-American cheapskates.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
We build our beleifs based on our experiences, I am quite satisfied with several experiences with migrant workers from south of the border, but that's just me, I don't like getting ripped-off, btw, I've always paid just salaries, well above minimun wage.
I've known many illegals, and in all seriousness, my experience agrees with yours completely. I'm very worried, though, that the volume of illegal immigration has exploded in recent years, and the "attitude" among many of the new arrivals is VERY different from those who came in the past.

If you check my posts, I have much admiration for most of the illegals I've met. A few have even been my relatives, by marriage, years ago. In the 'old days" MANY things went on, harmlessly, that are now illegal. The world has changed, and so have the illegals...and so have WE. But, as you say, that's "just me"..and, though I hold no grudge against the people I've known. I'm honest enough to realize that, projected out into 20 Million people, it's a significant problem....and that many of these people have a VERY different attitude from those I've met.

I'm perfectly willing to put MUCH---if not MOST of the blame on the US. The illegals (coming from a society in which the laws, and the government, are corrupt) do not respect OUR laws, because they can SEE that we don't respect our OWN laws...if we DID, they wouldn't be here. I've heard this MANY times...They KNOW we really "DO" want them, and that's why they're able to get work.

It's pretty hard to expect illegals to really 'self-deport', just because WE think they should feel 'guilty". They DON'T.

I'm madder at our government, by FAR, than I am at illegals.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM

451 posts, read 310,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The OP poster is a house painter, an honest occupation. He shouldn't HAVE to compete with illegals who are taken advantage of by anti-American cheapskates.

American cheapskates??, my office manager makes roughly $750/week, working her butt off for 45-50 hours, she has a college degree, the local
painters, usually less than HS education asking $700-800/day- screw that!!!, my favorite "pachuco" for $250/day, still well above my college
educated office manager, is that unfair- Hell no

Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Now you can make all the insults you want if it makes you feel more empowered, but please do not tell me that you care one wit about Illegals.
I do feel for the migrants, do not deny it one bit. Do I hire them, the answer is no, but sure wish I could and I would pay them extra. How do you presume to know what my economic situation is???
I do apologize for calling you 'Lady Bountiful', you are right, that has no place in discussion.
But please do me the favor of stop assuming that I have no empathy for other people simply because my views are against your own. I believe in immigration. I believe in providing a living wage to blue collar workers even if it means the prices on produce, or god fobid home improvement go up. But I do not believe in creating a permanant illegal underclass that has no hope of escaping poverty. Yes, they make more here. But they are not dealing with their old countries standard of living, they are dealing with ours.
I'm sorry, I don't agree with a noblisse oblige attitude is going to help the illegal immigrants in any meaningful way.

Oh, and I did live in an area which was controlled by Los Lobos and occasionally Los Cholos. I assure you, poverty without any hope of escaping it is actually a little tough to live with.

I promise not to make the mistake of assuming I know all about you, if you promise the same for me.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM

164 posts, read 516,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I'm not so sure about the quality you state to be very bad. Companies who are known to hire illegals are the ones doing all the new developments here in California. They're doing a pretty damn good job of making those homes.

As I didn't buy in a new development, I don't know what _you're_ discussing. I only know the experience of my family. It sounds like you know what _my_ experience was, though. Huh, are you psychic? Sounds like you imagine yourself to be one.

At any rate, as you don't experience any qualms about profiting off illegal labor, or seeing others do so, then go ahead and employ them while you can. And by all means, keep getting the 'high quality' you claim to have experienced. Put your money where your mouth is ... or should I say your imagination?

If you'll note, I said, "I think others who feel strongly on the issue should do the same." The unspoken corollary is that if you don't feel strongly on the issue of illegal workers, then continue on as usual.

We all have a completely legal power, one that doesn't depend on anyone else agreeing with you or the government taking action, and that is the power to spend your money where you please. People on both sides of this argument can certainly show how they really feel about illegal immigration by spending their money in this way.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM

451 posts, read 310,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've known many illegals, and in all seriousness, my experience agrees with yours completely. I'm very worried, though, that the volume of illegal immigration has exploded in recent years, and the "attitude" among many of the new arrivals is VERY different from those who came in the past.

If you check my posts, I have much admiration for most of the illegals I've met. A few have even been my relatives, by marriage, years ago. In the 'old days" MANY things went on, harmlessly, that are now illegal. The world has changed, and so have the illegals...and so have WE. But, as you say, that's "just me"..and, though I hold no grudge against the people I've known. I'm honest enough to realize that, projected out into 20 Million people, it's a significant problem....and that many of these people have a VERY different attitude from those I've met.

I'm perfectly willing to put MUCH---if not MOST of the blame on the US. The illegals (coming from a society in which the laws, and the government, are corrupt) do not respect OUR laws, because they can SEE that we don't respect our OWN laws...if we DID, they wouldn't be here. I've heard this MANY times...They KNOW we really "DO" want them, and that's why they're able to get work.

It's pretty hard to expect illegals to really 'self-deport', just because WE think they should feel 'guilty". They DON'T.

I'm madder at our government, by FAR, than I am at illegals.
Well, I'm glad to see that you are not just a hater, like many others, convictions need to have a base, a history, not just "because I was born like this", I am quite liberal in thought, but will be the first to take action against those who hurt us. I enjoy the people of this country, the diversity, and also
the ones that folow a traditional path, i've befriended magnificent whites, asians, blacks, hispanics, one thing I don't tolerate; the intolerants that show no compassion.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
As I didn't buy in a new development, I don't know what _you're_ discussing. I only know the experience of my family. It sounds like you know what _my_ experience was, though. Huh, are you psychic? Sounds like you imagine yourself to be one.

At any rate, as you don't experience any qualms about profiting off illegal labor, or seeing others do so, then go ahead and employ them while you can. And by all means, keep getting the 'high quality' you claim to have experienced. Put your money where your mouth is ... or should I say your imagination?

If you'll note, I said, "I think others who feel strongly on the issue should do the same." The unspoken corollary is that if you don't feel strongly on the issue of illegal workers, then continue on as usual.

We all have a completely legal power, one that doesn't depend on anyone else agreeing with you or the government taking action, and that is the power to spend your money where you please. People on both sides of this argument can certainly show how they really feel about illegal immigration by spending their money in this way.
Really I know your experience? I must be psychic because I never claimed the sort. When did I claim I had experience hiring illegals? Mr. Assumption is what I shall call you.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Of course its not fair. There are thousands of other Americans having to compete with illegal labor. It's not right. Economics prevails.

You are being "flippant" about the post.

Number one, USA has laws which aren't being enforced and need to be. That's the whole issue at hand here.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:43 AM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You are being "flippant" about the post.

Number one, USA has laws which aren't being enforced and need to be. That's the whole issue at hand here.
How the hell am I being disrespectful with my post? Since when have obvious facts become "disrespectful or flippant"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration