Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Let's see what president Obama has in order
Let's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Sassyone,

Yes, we are rapidly approaching a time where the American people are held hostage by their own government. Such a statement may seem hysterical to the recently arrived immigrants or native born whipper-snappers on this forum, but as an 'ol Texan who has seen this country change quite a bit I am telling you that it is true.

What we are facing amounts to a kind of national existential crisis. The American people will need to find the courage to reclaim their unique destiny (among the nations of men) and cast aside the many lies shoved down our throats by our government and its corporate media accomplices. Only then will we right this ship of state.
I wanted you to know that I tried to rep your post, but apparently I need to spread it around first

I sadly agree with your assesment of our government. It doesn't matter anymore if its rep or dem, it really is all the same. I don't know what will have to happen to make govt accountable again, except for a major disaster of some kind....i.e. financial, natural, political....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Quote:
Sassyone,

Yes, we are rapidly approaching a time where the American people are held hostage by their own government. Such a statement may seem hysterical to the recently arrived immigrants or native born whipper-snappers on this forum, but as an 'ol Texan who has seen this country change quite a bit I am telling you that it is true.

What we are facing amounts to a kind of national existential crisis. The American people will need to find the courage to reclaim their unique destiny (among the nations of men) and cast aside the many lies shoved down our throats by our government and its corporate media accomplices. Only then will we right this ship of state.
I could not possibly disagree with you on this. When people catch on to
the major things going on...it will be too late, it may be too late already.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Sassyone,

. Such a statement may seem hysterical to the recently arrived immigrants or native born whipper-snappers on this forum, but as an 'ol Texan who has seen this country change quite a bit I am telling you that it is true.
This is PRECISELY what I was referring to, in my post above....the fact that an increasing segment of our society--(and let's face it, ALL of us are 'our society') aren't trying to be 'annoying' to us 'codgers'...the fact is, that they really, truly, and honestly have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

After 30 or 35 years of "America is bad...America is the biggest source of the world's misery....America is racist...America is xenophobic....America 'invited 9-11 to happen', because of its arrogance'....America abuses, marginalizes, and mistreats its immigrants"..... etc etc etc etc, ...These folks have never heard anything BUT this.

Think about it, OldTex....the only thing 'patriotic' some folks have ever heard in their entire young LIVES, is the disjointed babbling of a few backwoods rustics, military types, "conspiracy nuts', racist 'wackos', or simple, clueless 'farm folks' who still watch Lawrence Welk re-runs.. Otherwise, NOTHING.

Even the harmless, non-violent, unarmed old "Minutemen" are now regarded, SERIOUSLY, as a bunch of hate-filled, dangerous 'racists" out to "do harm" to those who "bypass the border formalities" while excercising their "right to find a job"....And these 'kids' (some of them middle-aged), believe this stuff largely, because, one is forced to conclude, they've never SEEN "real" racism, or "real" hate...

If any single force could be said to be "the death of this country", it would not be violence or aggression. Those can be contained. What WILL destroy this nation is nothing more 'exotic' than an overwhelming, misplaced sense of self-loathing, guilt, and Political Correctness. That alone, if it isn't controlled soon, will 'do the job" that no invading enermy could do.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is PRECISELY what I was referring to, in my post above....the fact that an increasing segment of our society--(and let's face it, ALL of us are 'our society') aren't trying to be 'annoying' to us 'codgers'...the fact is, that they really, truly, and honestly have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

After 30 or 35 years of "America is bad...America is the biggest source of the world's misery....America is racist...America is xenophobic....America 'invited 9-11 to happen', because of its arrogance'....America abuses, marginalizes, and mistreats its immigrants"..... etc etc etc etc, ...These folks have never heard anything BUT this.

Think about it, OldTex....the only thing 'patriotic' some folks have ever heard in their entire young LIVES, is the disjointed babbling of a few backwoods rustics, military types, "conspiracy nuts', racist 'wackos', or simple, clueless 'farm folks' who still watch Lawrence Welk re-runs.. Otherwise, NOTHING.

Even the harmless, non-violent, unarmed old "Minutemen" are now regarded, SERIOUSLY, as a bunch of hate-filled, dangerous 'racists" out to "do harm" to those who "bypass the border formalities" while excercising their "right to find a job"....And these 'kids' (some of them middle-aged), believe this stuff largely, because, one is forced to conclude, they've never SEEN "real" racism, or "real" hate...

If any single force could be said to be "the death of this country", it would not be violence or aggression. Those can be contained. What WILL destroy this nation is nothing more 'exotic' than an overwhelming, misplaced sense of self-loathing, guilt, and Political Correctness. That alone, if it isn't controlled soon, will 'do the job" that no invading enermy could do.

If you are concerned about our welfare, and like I stated forest for the tree's
you should be very concerned about this. The link will help you on why I said
China.
China Investment An Open Book?, 60 Minutes: Sovereign-Wealth Fund's President Promises Transparency - CBS News

Old 04-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Yes, the threat of being called 'racist' is a very real one. My brother is a prof at a state university......you wouldn't believe what he has to say about being one of the few conservatives on campus. He has to hide his political views for fear of not getting tenure, meanwhile prof. can and do spew whatever political garbage they want to as long as the theme is 'America the ugly'........

People today are afraid of being labeled and reviled as racists, or white supremecists if they disagree with illegal immigration or enforced bilingualism. That is why you don't see thousands of middle class people in the streets protesting against it. People who are patriotic are considered 'sheeple', those that hate the US are consider smart and edgy. The only way to reverse this trend is for the middle class to loose the fear of labeling. And that is not going to happen as neoliberals will not let go of that weopon they have against us.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If you are concerned about our welfare, and like I stated forest for the tree's
you should be very concerned about this. The link will help you on why I said
China.
China Investment An Open Book?, 60 Minutes: Sovereign-Wealth Fund's President Promises Transparency - CBS News

Why can't people be concerned with both? Why is it one or the other? Or is this a diversion tactic to get the topic off illegal immigration? Seeing how this is the immigration forum, you may be better off posting about China on the politics forum.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM

No, I think they should be concerned with both.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM

220 posts, read 381,579 times
camping!,

I appreciate the encouragement.

The first step is for more American people to reject our phony left/right political discourse and to see these politicians (and their corporate sponsors) for the disingenuous nation-wrecking frauds that they are. There isn't any easy solution to the fix that we're in but we certainly will not be able to find one so long as we remain apathetic to the treasonous hypocrisy all around us.

macmeal,

Before too long, there won't be many of us left who remember what America used to be like before this whole "culture of critique" set in.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Like I said in another post, if you were born here, you missed all opportunites
and opted for a low skilled way of life, for these reason you have to compete with peolple with no education, and likely more motivated than you.
I'm sick of listening to the whining from people that have nothing going for them except that they are white.
I hired a local contractor for some work at my home, the guy was ripping
me off and the job quality sucked, I then fired these bumsand hired a crew of guys from Ecuador, they finished the job ahead of time with great quality
and for almost half the price.
I have no sympathy for these people that think they have the right to rip you off just because they are white, from now on I only hire migrant workers.
Congratulations on posting one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read on any forum ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration