Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 07:25 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,478,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Oh, you are from TN in the middle of nowhere and are qualified to comment on this issue. Again, I live in a BORDER STATE.
The person is a tax-payer and has every right to comment on something that is undermining sovereignty and legal rights for every citizen in this country regardless the person lives or does not live in " a border state".

Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
The person is a tax-payer and has every right to comment on something that is undermining sovereignty and legal rights for every citizen in this country regardless the person lives or does not live in " a border state".
Her point was Tennessee has an extremely low immigration population in contrast to Arizona. But, I understand your point.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,478,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Her point was Tennessee has an extremely low immigration population in contrast to Arizona. But, I understand your point.
Since you're "nuetral", you should of phrased it... "low illegal/legal immigration" ppoulation...!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Since you're "nuetral", you should of phrased it... "low illegal/legal immigration" ppoulation...!
that was a good one..i would have but everyone would have still thought they were illegal

Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's a nice thought... but let's be honest, the majority would not be reliable and/or willing. I live in a city with one of the worst homelessness problems, so I'm quite aware of how their situations often are. It's not necessarily their "fault", since it is usually due to drug/substance abuse or severe mental illness (in fact, something like 75% of homeless are known to suffer from mental illnesses). I'd love to offer them all a job, but if they were that desperate to work, many of them would have already found something... it's probably still easier for them to get work than an undocumented citizen!

- I mean no disrespect by these comments... but I've done a lot of volunteer work with the homeless, and have lived around them for many years, so I'm not naive to how things are. Wish it were otherwise, but this is just the sad truth.
Unfortunately, in the cities where rents are high, a lot of the homeless already have jobs. They just don't make enough to be able to afford housing.

We spend a lot of time in downtown Los Angeles. Sometimes we are there after 6 p.m. when the stores all close. It's amazing how clean and well-dressed some of the homeless are who are standing in line to get into the shelters. I'm assuming that these people probably are working poor and can't afford housing.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 AM

Even all the homeless people in the United States would not fill all the jobs. The standard of living is too high for people born here to feel like they can survive with menial jobs.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Spin it anyway you want, hiring illegals is a crime and makes you no better.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:34 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,419 times
Quote:
This is true.
Georgia, for example is not a border state. Well, unless you want to count Florida as a foreign nation.
Anyway, Georgia has one of the highest concentrations of illegal's in the nation in regard to states "outside the border area".
Gwinnett County is now estimating an illegal population in excess of 100,000 and this is just one county.

The main issue we are having is the drain on the social medical front. In 2005 the county spent 20 million of taxpayers funds just to bail out the medical field in unpaid bills. Federal Law requires anyone who walks into an emergency room must be cared for, thus if you walk into Gwinnett Medical at any given time you will find 90+% unable to speak the English language.
On the other front, legal residents will find the cost passed on in higher taxes and higher medical bills to pay for the shortfall.

The other area is increased crime. For example, todays front page. An illegal broke into a home, kidnapped and raped a 7 year old girl. The shocker is the young girl was related to the criminal, of whom is also undocumented.

The cure in my mind is not to throw stones at Pepe' looking to work and succeed, yes kill the criminal we have plenty here from black thugs to white pedofiles roaming the streets, but to go full bore after the businesses that wish to employ these folks at pennies on the dollar (a poultry plant in Gainesville comes to mind), fine or even confiscate property of speculating landlords renting a 1 br apt at top dollar to 20 illegals, and most of all fully prosecute the criminal element such as the rapist up to and including the death penalty, not just sit him on a bus and bring him back to the Arizona or Texas border again.

Of course, non of the above could happen thanks to the ACLU and those of thier ilk.

We are in a crazy mess and I don't see anything on the horizon wishing to change it

Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
The cure in my mind is not to throw stones at Pepe' looking to work and succeed, yes kill the criminal we have plenty here from black thugs to white pedofiles roaming the streets, but to go full bore after the businesses that wish to employ these folks at pennies on the dollar (a poultry plant in Gainesville comes to mind), fine or even confiscate property of speculating landlords renting a 1 br apt at top dollar to 20 illegals, and most of all fully prosecute the criminal element such as the rapist up to and including the death penalty, not just sit him on a bus and bring him back to the Arizona or Texas border again.
Don't move to a border state, you will have a tough time.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:40 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
In 2005 the county spent 20 million of taxpayers funds just to bail out the medical field in unpaid bills.
Part of this is also caused by companies like WalMart. WalMart is the number one employer for those with jobs but no medical insurance according to surveys done in Emergency Rooms. It's the taxpayer subsidy for "Always Low Prices."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.