U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:22 AM

226 posts, read 913,220 times

Advertisements

Try living in Phoenix...... 3,000 illegals are crossing the border every day.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:57 AM

421 posts, read 243,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
Try living in Phoenix...... 3,000 illegals are crossing the border every day.

Oh yeah....................................

Old 12-17-2006, 12:01 PM

436 posts, read 489,178 times
"..my friends' Anglo kids went to a bilingual program.
They learned. They are all going to college.
They are now fluent in Spanish.
I do not think they suffered any ill effects. On the contrary.
I do not approve of *illegal* aliens.
But people legally who come here and learn to speak English are okay by me.
I only know paquito espanol myself but might try to improve on that.
My older son is fluent in French and not too shabby in Italian. He hopes to learn Arabic.
Welcome to globalization, guys.
It comes with our supposedly strong economy."

Smart people. To paraphrase a current corporate slogan (being used by everyone else these days) - 'This is the way forward'.

We humans move toward survival by whatever means necessary. People will learn to adapt, or be swept aside. Americans can no longer be the exception to accepting the changes of globalization, for there's no going back to the way of life that you or I perceived/remembered. Want to know something else lots of folks in the US don't grasp yet? America's place and position of power in the global economy is shifting away from a position of overwhelming power and control. Your children are going to experience changes you could never have imagined. Much of America's cultural and economic isolation of the past that most older Americans were conditioned by is rapidly evolving away from old models. You may perceive fear (the response to stimuli which you feel powerless to control) over the changes upon us now, but your children will adjust, or they too will be swept aside.

Get your kids the best possible education you can afford, and try to accept that the learning of multiple languages is a necessary skill in changing times. Move away from fear and toward better understanding.

Last edited by brian_2; 12-17-2006 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 12:35 PM

211 posts, read 219,327 times
Why is this flood of non-assimilating Third World immigration from Hispanic countries being shoved on us?

Why should we be forced to learn Spanish? Why should we be forced to adapt?

Who is shoving this down our throats and what American asked for it?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:35 PM

436 posts, read 489,178 times
"We should not be forced to adapt and lose our culture, language, and heritage because of the short-term goals of those in office."

Where would Black Americans (and America in general) be now if the South had managed to maintain their prevailing precious culture and heritage prior to the Civil War?

Old 12-17-2006, 02:10 PM

211 posts, read 219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
Where would Black Americans (and America in general) be now if the South had managed to maintain their prevailing precious culture and heritage prior to the Civil War?
Slavery has existed for thousands of years. It was widespread in Africa and the Arabs had the world's largest slave trade for a thousand years, it's actually very widespread and still common in Africa today. Europeans had the advanced technology to enable it on a much larger scale.

With all that said -- slavery is not a culture. The only areas of the world that have not worked to abolish slavery are in the Middle East and Africa -- go figure.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 PM

481 posts, read 808,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
In Ft Collins, Colorado, my friends' Anglo kids went to a bilingual program.
They learned. They are all going to college.
They are now fluent in Spanish.
I do not think they suffered any ill effects. On the contrary.
I do not approve of *illegal* aliens.
But people legally who come here and learn to speak English are okay by me.
I only know paquito espanol myself but might try to improve on that.
My older son is fluent in French and not too shabby in Italian. He hpes to learn Arabic.
Welcome to globalization, guys.
It comes with our supposedly strong economy.
There is no problem with being bi-, tri-, or -lingual to the nth power. That's great and I applaud your kids. The problem comes when that language is being used to cater and facilitate the movements and actions of illegal aliens. Just try going to an ATM or calling a Customer Service line. Almost all of them now offer Spanish as an option. We are a nation of English speakers. English is a part of our national culture and heritage. It is a way of our life.

Any legal immigrant is required to know the English language to some degree wherein they would be able to live in the US and communicate without a problem. This of course means that they should NOT need to have everything offered in their own language. Just try immigrating anywhere and you'll see that all nations require a language proficiency test and ability.

On the other hand, illegals don't have that requirement because they are illegal. And so in order for them to live here with any degree of success they would need things offered in their own language. And when that offer is made that is when you start to see why they do damage. Offering Spanish, or any other language, as an option through which to live your day to day life here in the US is a major weakening factor for the nation as a whole.

A nation can not function if one half of the populace speaks one language and not the other. The English speaking people founded this nation so why should we now be forced to compromise with illegals??? If the conditions in Mexico are so bad then they should go back there and fight for their rights just like we did 250 years ago. Instead they get their lazy butts up here, take our jobs, our healthcare, our social security numbers and benefits, our schools, and then after all that, they march in OUR streets yelling "Yes, we can." in SPANISH and waving MEXICAN flags. Hell, the one time I saw them with American flags they had it waving UPSIDE DOWN!!!

I work at Walgreens so I got a chuckle out of the person here who said there was an illegal working there around her area. There's one working at mine too. I had to train him on the register. He can't make proper change even though the register tells him how much to give because he doesn't understand the money. So now Walgreens is going to lose money and that means people will be laid off! But if they fire him, the problem in the first place, he'll just go to the local "civil rights" organization and sue. Meanwhile I'll be out of a job and every other future worker at that Walgreens will also be at risk of losing their job because of that illiterate illegal.

My solution and little personal "go f--- yourselves" is not to serve any illegal who comes into my store. "Where's that item, you say? I have no idea! Do you know where your country is, punk?" And half the time they come and talk to me in Spanish. Even if I knew the language I wouldn't respond to them.

The worst is when they bring their little 5 year olds in to TRANSLATE for them! Not only do you just know that dang kid goes to a US school and learns all this for FREE (Oh excuse me, that's right! I PAY!!!), but it's evidence right there in front of you that the illegals are breeding little American "citizens". And I know that makes them sound like animals, but considering all the damage they do to this country I don't count them as any higher than a dog. I tell ya, I hear one more "Esscoose me" I'll flip. In public this time. ;-)

Old 12-17-2006, 05:52 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,471,540 times
Quote:
I work at Walgreens so I got a chuckle out of the person here who said there was an illegal working there around her area. There's one working at mine too.
If your employer is hiring undocumented workers (i.e. no SS #) then it is your duty to report them (Walgreens) to the IRS.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah the government sucks. Illegal should definitely be deported, and employers who collaborate with illegals should be hung.
I like the way you think!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
If your employer is hiring undocumented workers (i.e. no SS #) then it is your duty to report them (Walgreens) to the IRS.
Yea, but I only *think* he's illegal. I mean, I'm pretty sure he is and I do think of him as illegal, but I don't have any *concrete proof* of it. That's the tough part. I mean, how do you get proof besides what you see? I'd love to report them but I know they'd just laugh it off and not do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or