U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
You can be both proud of your homeland and the United States with a dual citizenship.
Absolutely... I have a friend with dual English/U.S. citizenship, so would people say she's not a "proud American"? Nah, that only applies to Mexicans, I guess.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn06 View Post
THANK YOU! Finally someone else mentioned it. Why should we care about Mexico when we have our own problems in America to deal with? We still have people living in poverty here.

Heres a real-life experience that happened to me about 2 weeks ago. This made me dislike illegals: I was at a busy intersection, green light for me, looked twice both ways, hit the gas, and out of nowhere a truck comes flying at me and hits me. He gets out of the car, which by the way had 3 other passengers, and doesnt speak English. I called the cops on my cellphone, but the cops that were sent didn't speak Spanish, so I had to wait another 15 mins for a Spanish-speaking cop. When the cop finally came, it turned out that the man was highly intoxicated along with his buddies, had no ID, the car wasn't in his name, and had no permanent address or phone number. He was released without any questioning, and I filed a report.

Thank God I had insurance.
Oh yeah, that's a good reason to "dislike" ALL illegals... Gimme a break! And how do you know he was actually illegal? There are plenty of legal & U.S.-born citizens of all races who don't have ID & permanent addresses, which is how government programs are abused. They could also have a suspended license, and therefore simply wanted to avoid giving personal information. Not saying that's okay either, but you're making some quick assumptions here!

I rear-ended someone recently, and they didn't speak a word of english (I speak Spanish, luckily), had a beat-up car, and didn't show me any insurance or ID. But lo & behold, a month later I received a notice from my insurance company, documenting a claim with theirs. Cost me a $200 raise in my premium, so they'd better be legal!! But regardless, one incident is hardly a reason to hate all of them... my sister was mugged by a black man on TWO occasions while living in Philadelphia, and that certainly didn't make her racist toward all black people. We have a brother (not biological) who is black, so that would be a little strange - LOL.

But if there's one thing I agree with you on, it's that we need to take care of our own... but that includes any non-U.S. born residents, legal or otherwise. I think the U.S. spends too much time thinking overseas, and should concentrate on the problems HERE first. Though like it or not, "our people" will include immigrants, especially when their children were born here... it's wrong to deprive those children, who are technically American citizens, no matter how the parents arrived.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM

1,151 posts, read 3,061,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. It is a fact that white people can't get away with "racist comments" as easily, and that's mainly due to the history of bigotry. But who cares?? Since I don't feel the need to spew racial slurs, it really isn't a problem for me. I'm also not offended by silly "cracker" jokes, as I personally don't find that to be racist... I've been called REAL derogatory names (like k-ke), and there's absolutely no comparison in how they made me feel.

I can't stand that K word, Gizmo. You just gave me goose bumps.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
You know whose partially to blame is the comedians. Larry the Cable Guy, Dave Chappelle, George Lopez, Carlos Mencia, and there are others who use racial jokes, even subtle, to enhance a performance. I know we are old enough to make our own personal decisions, but this humor is disrespectful and uncalled for, and easily permeates society.
Okay, I have a confession to make... I love Dave Chapelle, George Lopez, Carlos Mencia, and certain other comics who do "race comedy". But the things they say are all in good humor, never showing underlying hatred or bigotry toward a race. They're also "equal opportunity", and make fun of all groups fairly equally. Carlos Mencia in particular doesn't discriminate, and makes fun of others as much as his own people. In my opinion, ethnic humor can be done tastefully, in a harmless and non-hateful manner... ethnic groups do have some overall differences, and there's nothing wrong with light-heartedly discussing them in a humorous way. I think we can all tell when the line is crossed, like the stuff Michael Richards & Mel Gibson spewed. Now THAT was racist speech!!

Btw, I even laugh hysterically at Carlos Mencia's Jewish jokes... so don't think I'm being selective in my sense of humor.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
I can't stand that K word, Gizmo. You just gave me goose bumps.
Yeah, it's a bad one... I didn't like writing it, even with a dash in the middle! Anyone who's been called a name like that understands true bigotry, and how it can literally hurt inside. I can't speak for others, but words like "gringo" and "cracker" really don't hold that weight for me. They just don't have the history of most other slurs, and are usually regarded as a joke by people (of all races)... I see how they could make someone mad, but I don't believe they could hurt in the same way.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:24 AM

597 posts, read 1,786,344 times
Quote:
Absolutely... I have a friend with dual English/U.S. citizenship, so would people say she's not a "proud American"? Nah, that only applies to Mexicans, I guess.
Being a dual citizen implies that you have allegiance to more than 1 country. This has nothing to do with being proud of where you came from and more of where your loyalties lie IMO. I pick on dual citizens of Mexico in particular because they are the largest number of current immigrants and they are encouraged to participate in Mexican elections while also participating in American elections, and millions do so. This brings me to the question of why these individuals have voting power in this country. Isn't this a conflict of interest? Mexico wants their citizens to influence our country to THEIR benefit, not the US. Why do we allow this? This has nothing to do with being proud where you came from, which is a flimsy argument at best and in reality it is a direct threat to our sovereignty.

Definition of Sovereignty
--the exclusive right to exercise supreme political (e.g. legislative, judicial, and/or executive) authority over a geographic region, group of people, or oneself.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:36 AM

1,151 posts, read 3,061,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Being a dual citizen implies that you have allegiance to more than 1 country. This has nothing to do with being proud of where you came from and more of where your loyalties lie IMO. I pick on dual citizens of Mexico in particular because they are the largest number of current immigrants and they are encouraged to participate in Mexican elections while also participating in American elections, and millions do so. This brings me to the question of why these individuals have voting power in this country. Isn't this a conflict of interest? Mexico wants their citizens to influence our country to THEIR benefit, not the US. Why do we allow this? This has nothing to do with being proud where you came from, which is a flimsy argument at best and in reality it is a direct threat to our sovereignty.

Definition of Sovereignty
--the exclusive right to exercise supreme political (e.g. legislative, judicial, and/or executive) authority over a geographic region, group of people, or oneself.

I live amongst a large population of Illegal immigrants in NYC. For many years,
they all told me they can't vote due to the fact thay can't have a driver's lim and one has a driver's license. What the fu*k are yall talking about then. Are ya making sh*t up to sound credible? Really?

Old 12-30-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Okay, I have a confession to make... I love Dave Chapelle, George Lopez, Carlos Mencia, and certain other comics who do "race comedy". But the things they say are all in good humor, never showing underlying hatred or bigotry toward a race. They're also "equal opportunity", and make fun of all groups fairly equally. Carlos Mencia in particular doesn't discriminate, and makes fun of others as much as his own people. In my opinion, ethnic humor can be done tastefully, in a harmless and non-hateful manner... ethnic groups do have some overall differences, and there's nothing wrong with light-heartedly discussing them in a humorous way. I think we can all tell when the line is crossed, like the stuff Michael Richards & Mel Gibson spewed. Now THAT was racist speech!!

Btw, I even laugh hysterically at Carlos Mencia's Jewish jokes... so don't think I'm being selective in my sense of humor.
Ya know, I absolutely agree with you and I love all of the comedians you just mentioned and have watched their shows religiously. Yes, I also agree that Mel and Michael Richards are absolutely out of line and deserve the crap that is thrown their way after it was made public. But again, I still believe that if you substituted Carlos Mencia for example with a white comedian, he would be booed off stage, probably threatened, he would be sued, comedy central would be sued, and that person's career would likely be over. That is simply the point I am trying to make. Race is the 'Great Taboo' in our society more than anything else. Essentially all non-white ethnic groups are allowed to talk honestly and joke about racial/ethnic differences, but whites are lambasted for it. This is simply the point I was making when I made the comments about equal treatment. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
I live amongst a large population of Illegal immigrants in NYC. For many years.
They all tell me they can't vote due to the fact no one has a driver's license. What the fu*k are yall talking about then. Are ya making sh*t up to sound credible? Really?
Guess what? It isn't a requirement to show ID when you vote. The ACLU is against current measures that would require you to do so at polling stations, because they claim it would be disenfranchisement. Besides, I was specifically referring to many dual citizens that live in the southwest that were amnestized back in the 80's, so that wasn't what I was referring to. There are many Mexican American citizens that now have dual citizenship. Look it up, it was one of Fox's big pushes during his administration.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
Actually, while I can't recall if I needed identification in NYC, I didn't need anything to register to vote here in the West. I filled out a form at the public library, got a temporary card, and then later in the mail a laminated ID.

When I went to vote in November, I wasn't asked for any corroborating ID either.

But I always carry my passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Guess what? It isn't a requirement to show ID when you vote. The ACLU is against current measures that would require you to do so at polling stations, because they claim it would be disenfranchisement. Besides, I was specifically referring to many dual citizens that live in the southwest that were amnestized back in the 80's, so that wasn't what I was referring to. There are many Mexican American citizens that now have dual citizenship. Look it up, it was one of Fox's big pushes during his administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or