U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 01:47 PM

28,265 posts, read 43,591,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
How is not agreeing with you hard headed? Are people suppose to take your feelings and opinions as gospel? your right we are wrong? opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one.
You don't have to agree with me, but ignoring logical debate is just stubborn... I'd like to see you respond directly to real points, as I try to do in a "discussion" such as this. And I've been known to change my opinions based on other's points, which I rarely see from people who are clouded by hate.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:49 PM

1,151 posts, read 3,064,534 times
Quote:
I meant illegals trying to become legals and enlist. Yes they are many many legal immigrants in the forces now, but nowadays I dont see many illegals coming over to actually become citizens like alot in the past did, such as my family, more come to just milk us.
I'm sorry but where exactly do you get your info from? How do you know illegals don't come here to become citizens? If assimilation takes a generation how would you be able to tell? Stop listening to the spin from Fox news.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I meant illegals trying to become legals and enlist. Yes they are many many legal immigrants in the forces now, but nowadays I dont see many illegals coming over to actually become citizens like alot in the past did, such as my family, more come to just milk us.
That's just a ridiculous ASSumption... how do you know all of their motives? The illegal immigrants I've known over the years all wanted citizenship, and worked very hard toward achieving it. In fact, I tutored one of them through the whole process. Have you personally polled everyone as they crossed the border, and asked what their plans were? If not, please don't pretend you know...

Old 12-30-2006, 01:52 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good for them, but not everyone is so lucky... as I've mentioned on other threads, I used to teach ESL literacy, and most of them struggled with our language. Some took english classes for years, and still couldn't pass as fluent! As for not being wanted, do you really think Latino immigrants choose to live in bad areas? I'm sure they'd love to live in Pacific Palisades, but it's just not a choice for them... maybe their children or grandchildren will, however, and that's precisely why they come to the U.S. It is the land of opportunities, after all.

Btw, isn't english an official language of Ireland? Maybe your ancestors spoke Gaelic mainly, but as far as I know, english has been commonly used there for many years... correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what my brain is telling me!
My great great grandparents great grandparents and grandparents and mother ( who learned from her family) all spoke Gaelic and did until their deaths, but when in public spoke English. Again i have NO problem with people coming here legally, and assimulating, power to them. It is those that come here and expect things from us, like we need to learn language in order to communicate, dont think so. it is the fact that they can get free healthcare, and us as citizens, do not have insurance, have emergency surgery, then are told if we cannot pay the $70,000.00 dollar bill we will be sued. That ticks me off!!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
I'm sorry but where exactly do you get your info from? How do you know illegals don't come here to become citizens? If assimilation takes a generation how would you be able to tell? Stop listening to the spin from Fox news.
Nah, they get their information from Rush Limbaugh...

Old 12-30-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That's just a ridiculous ASSumption... how do you know all of their motives? The illegal immigrants I've known over the years all wanted citizenship, and worked very hard toward achieving it. In fact, I tutored one of them through the whole process. Have you personally polled everyone as they crossed the border, and asked what their plans were? If not, please don't pretend you know...
Oh....please I have come into to contact with hundreds in my field ,that have little if any respect for us at all!! I am glad there are many that want to be here and be americans, I think that is great. But I have met many many many more that could care less. So dont pretend that that you know that ALL crossing the border are here to be americans.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Gernerations? The way some spit the kids out it wont take long to have many generations here. BTW I dont like Limbaugh or fox news.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Brilliant with the A*S*S highlight in assumption. . So I am one because I dont agree? Maturity at it's finest.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My great great grandparents great grandparents and grandparents and mother ( who learned from her family) all spoke Gaelic and did until their deaths, but when in public spoke English. Again i have NO problem with people coming here legally, and assimulating, power to them. It is those that come here and expect things from us, like we need to learn language in order to communicate, dont think so. it is the fact that they can get free healthcare, and us as citizens, do not have insurance, have emergency surgery, then are told if we cannot pay the $70,000.00 dollar bill we will be sued. That ticks me off!!!!
Once again, how do you know what they're thinking? I've never had anyone demand or expect anything from me, though they're often grateful to learn I speak Spanish. But until they know, I'm usually spoken to in broken English, since I look extremely white. And as for companies desiring bilingual employees, that's simply good business sense. Most other countries speak mutiple languages, and ALWAYS cater to english-speakers, btw. Anyway, blame the government & corporations if you must, but don't blame the people... maybe some of them refuse to "blend", but that really isn't the majority. As for healthcare, I don't know enough about that to debate. But I do know that plenty of U.S. citizens take advantage of the system, and I don't like paying for them either.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You don't have to agree with me, but ignoring logical debate is just stubborn... I'd like to see you respond directly to real points, as I try to do in a "discussion" such as this. And I've been known to change my opinions based on other's points, which I rarely see from people who are clouded by hate.
When did I say hate? What is logical about assuming they are all here to do good, as many have said? I dont assume they are all here for good or bad, but to me good doesnt include draining the system and expecting us to give. we go by personal experiences, we form an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or