U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 01:16 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL. Yeah, I hate you sooo much. Anyway, I have to get going... but you can keep paying for the legal welfare abusers, and I'll keep paying for the illegal immigrants. Deal? Funny thing is that I haven't payed for anyone, since I've only payed taxes once or twice (no I'm not an evader, quite the opposite actually). But I will be doing them next year, and if I understand correctly, you can't choose how they're allocated anyway... since I'm forced to pay for an unjust war, others can pay for things they don't agree with too. That's part of being an American.
I dont like paying for either. thats why we need a tax reform. I cant even count the money we have paid in taxes.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
ha, there is the generalizing of me!!! you are lumping me into the crowd of people that have said they hate all latinos!!! I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT!!!!!! I dislike when illegals come and abuse the system!!!!!!! are we clear? I DONT CARE WHAT COLOR THEY ARE!!!!!!!! doesnt matter. Americans abuse the system, I AM SICK OF THEM ALSO!!!!!!! I work with plenty of latinos, that make me laugh on a daily basis, they are kind and funny and those I love to be around. It is the ones that say disrepectfull things about me and my country that I Cannot tolerate.
Ummmm... please read my post again, where I said "I don't mean YOU specifically". Stop taking everything so personally, for goodness sakes.

And Markablue, I'll cease this discussion now, so don't worry. I've tried to stay on topic, and I think we've actually done that for the most part.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Please, go on with the discussion refraining from personal debates or this thread will be closed. Thank you.
Sorry, sorry , my bad. moving on..........

Old 12-30-2006, 01:19 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My husband says it all the time, but if one assumes how does it make the other an ass? he never could answer that.
Maybe if you believe the assumption?

Old 12-31-2006, 08:12 AM

63 posts, read 374,699 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, that's a good reason to "dislike" ALL illegals... Gimme a break! And how do you know he was actually illegal? There are plenty of legal & U.S.-born citizens of all races who don't have ID & permanent addresses, which is how government programs are abused. They could also have a suspended license, and therefore simply wanted to avoid giving personal information. Not saying that's okay either, but you're making some quick assumptions here!
Ok..I see you are trying to find ways to squeeze around and try to prove he was illegal. Well, first of all, how many US BORN CITIZENS do you know that don't have ID or permanent addresses? (you said there were "plenty of all races") And if he did have a suspended license he shouldn't of been driving, moreover, drinking under the influence.

Quote:
I rear-ended someone recently, and they didn't speak a word of english (I speak Spanish, luckily), had a beat-up car, and didn't show me any insurance or ID. But lo & behold, a month later I received a notice from my insurance company, documenting a claim with theirs. Cost me a $200 raise in my premium, so they'd better be legal!! But regardless, one incident is hardly a reason to hate all of them...
Not so fast. I didn't say hate. I said dislike.

Quote:
my sister was mugged by a black man on TWO occasions while living in Philadelphia, and that certainly didn't make her racist toward all black people. We have a brother (not biological) who is black, so that would be a little strange - LOL
I'm sorry that happened to your sister.

Quote:
But if there's one thing I agree with you on, it's that we need to take care of our own... but that includes any non-U.S. born residents, legal or otherwise. I think the U.S. spends too much time thinking overseas, and should concentrate on the problems HERE first. Though like it or not, "our people" will include immigrants, especially when their children were born here... it's wrong to deprive those children, who are technically American citizens, no matter how the parents arrived.
Somewhat true.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 AM

131 posts, read 129,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
TN06 is correct. Over 75% of us hate Illegals this is not racist. To hate a particular race is racist. But to hate ppl who do not legally belong in this country is not a racist thing. There are more than latino illegals. They just bar the brunt of the back lash, due to moronic moves like saying we love america and deserve to stay. While holding a mexican flag and having no respect for our culture. Why should we respect them when they NO speak english, Til payday comes anyway. I respect any person that comes here legally. And learns OUR WAYS. For if they come here illegaly and try to force us to push 1 for English. Deport them they don't belong here now or ever. If you get caught here illegally Just 1 time you should loose any chance of getting here legally. And after so many years of this it is about time for our borders to become militarised. If someone crosses that border regardless of race creed or otherwise, without the proper papers than the military should be allowed to take any and all action nessasary for that person to be turned around or stoped in there tracks permanently. As long as a warning is given first. If they can't follow the proper chanels than it sucks to be them. Our borders are open to those that truely deserve it. Why let those in that don't.
They think the race word sounds good and they are going to use it.don't argue with these roaches

Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 AM

131 posts, read 129,611 times
Quote:
I'm not even bothering to read most of them... it's the same BS in one post after another, and I really don't know why I'm even wasting my time.
study about it a while,it will dawn on you sooner or later

Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 AM

504 posts, read 1,619,324 times
This has been discussed so many times and nobody has figured a way to stop it. The children of illegal immigrants that are born here are citizens and are intitled by law under the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION to all benefits. I have yet heard anyone with a solution we can't even keep illegal drugs out of this country. We can't afford to jail them, we will not put a border up across all of Mexico that will keep them out. Not all illegals are South Americans and Mexicans. Why is it fair to let Cubans sneak in and reach American soil and get to stay with all benefits? Wet foot dry foot policy. Read Daniel Ruths column, just Google Daniel Ruth and may be one of you can come up with a solution and until money is not a factor we will always give refuge for illegal immigrants and now we will have the Iraq people.
I would be on the first boat, raft, or cross the desert if it meant my family would be fed.
So many people seem to think Puerto Ricans are illegals, they are citizens of this country just like most of us.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:51 AM

146 posts, read 530,111 times
Quote:
Once again, how do you know what they're thinking? ... maybe some of them refuse to "blend", but that really isn't the majority.

First, you can know what they're thinking by asking them. As a teacher, I've asked tons of questions and had LOTS of discussion with all of my students including ESL students, 1st generation-Mexican-anchor-baby students, and native born students of Mexican heritage.

Here's some of what I've been hearing from my Hispanic students, both legal and illegal, during the past two years at a middle school in inner-city Houston:

1- I don't need to learn English miss, my cousin can get me a job.
2- You know Spanish, miss? (As an aside, when I ask kids in English to tuck in their shirts, they won't do it, but when I ask them to tuck in Spanish, they do).
3- Why can't I read no (sic) book in Spanish? (during English class no less)
4- Day of the Dead is more important than anything America got (sic).
5- Can we write the answers in Spanish? (asked during an essay test)

And last year, the disconcerting "White people suck!" shouted at teachers by groups of passing Hispanic students.

Secondly, the vast majority of illegal aliens ARE refusing to "blend". Just how many times have you been asked to "push one for English"? The second option isn't German, French or Ebonics; it's Spanish. (I wonder just how much money we've pissed away on providing Spanish translated materials alone.)

Can anyone provide real options for effecting change? Writing politicians isn't enough...what else can be done to fix this problem? What action can be taken?

Last edited by english_teacher; 12-31-2006 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-31-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
First, you can know what they're thinking by asking them. As a teacher, I've asked tons of questions and had LOTS of discussion with all of my students including ESL students, 1st generation-Mexican-anchor-baby students, and native born students of Mexican heritage.

Here's some of what I've been hearing from my Hispanic students, both legal and illegal, during the past two years at a middle school in inner-city Houston:

1- I don't need to learn English miss, my cousin can get me a job.
2- You know Spanish, miss?
(Just as an aside, when I ask kids to tuck in their shirts in English, they won't do it, but when I ask them to do it in
Spanish, they do).
3- Why can't I read no (sic) book in Spanish? (in an English class no less)
4- Day of the Dead is more important than anything America got (sic).
5- Can we write the answers in Spanish? (asked during an essay test)

And last year, the disconcerting "White people suck!" shouted at teachers by groups of passing Hispanic students.

Secondly, the vast majority of illegal aliens ARE refusing to "blend". Just how many times have you been asked to "push one for English"? The second option isn't German, French or Ebonics; it's Spanish. (I wonder just how much money we've pissed away on providing Spanish translated materials alone.)

Can anyone provide real options for effecting change? Writing politicians isn't enough...what else can be done to fix this problem? What action can be taken?

My husband gets, we dont take orders from a gringo, and when he tells them in english to do something, they just laugh. I know they understand, just refusing to do it. It should be press one for spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or