U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 07:30 AM

146 posts, read 530,111 times

Advertisements

[quote=dusesean1986;240890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;239976
1- I don't need to learn English miss, my cousin can get me a job.
2- You know Spanish, miss? (As an aside, when I ask kids in English to tuck in their shirts, they won't do it, but when I ask them to tuck in Spanish, they do).
3- Why can't I read no (sic) book in Spanish? (during English class no less)
4- Day of the Dead is more important than anything America got (sic).
5- Can we write the answers in Spanish? (asked during an essay test)

Making assumptions based on five latino children, is a weak claim of evidence.

1- These statements don't come from just five children.
2- Where are you living that you need evidence of the massive illegal migration of Mexican foreign nationals and the unwillingness of their offspring to assimilate? Alaska? Maine? A ranch in Idaho?

The evidence is EVERYWHERE.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Amen. I guess we should "dislike" all white people based on the KKK & Aryan Nation, and all Catholics based on the pedophile priests, and black people because of OJ Simpson, and..... well you all get my point.
Gizmo you are a genius.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:29 AM

You were previously placing your last assumptions on five elementary school aged children. But, I'll let that slide. How can you declare they don't want to assimilate? Have you met all 40 million of them? Yeah, there were massive protests back in March, but maybe they were trying to assimilate. They could have used both flags to show personal inspiration and triumph. They could be proud of each country. They could be proud they are Mexican-American. Some of them could hate the United States, and some could only love Mexico. Unless you have interviewed 40 million of them, you can't make isolated incidences and what you seen on T.V. your basis of claims. Like I always say, Americans have difficulty with generalization, stereotypes, and racism.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:34 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
Can we or should we compare the migration of Puerto Ricans into the US after WWI, and heavily after WWII.

Quote from a history network:
Again at the end of World War II, United States companies began looking to Puerto Rico for cheap labor, and they sent agents to recruit workers. The demand was so great that the New York City Mayor Robert Wagner publicly stated in 1953 that he and all New Yorkers would welcome any Puerto Rican willing to work. Laboring jobs were plentiful! Jobs coupled with encouragement by the island government increased the average yearly migration of Puerto Ricans from 1,800 between 1930 and 1940 to 31,000 from 1946 to 1950, and to 45,000 from 1951 to 1960. In 1953, Puerto Rican migration to New York reached its peak when 75,000 people left the island. Estimates are that more than one million Puerto Ricans migrated during this period. By 1964, the Puerto Rican community made up 9.3 percent of the total New York City population.

Within the United States, Puerto Ricans also settled in many other urban areas such as Chicago, New Haven, Hartford, Boston, Jersey City and Philadelphia. The conditions faced were deplorable and poverty was rampant. Puerto Ricans in the United States fought against discrimination and economic exploitation. As the numbers grew in the 1950s, they were increasingly portrayed as unwilling to work, welfare leeches, drug addicts and juvenile delinquents. As a consequence of this public view, business and government leaders were able to get away with policies and practices that exploited and demeaned Puerto Ricans in jobs, housing, and education. End of quote

Now, 50-odd years later, very few children of Puerto Rican's in the US can write or read Spanish, and those that speak the language intersperse it with English. Companies are trying to get literate speaking, reading and writing Spanish-speakers and offering increased pay for those who can do all three!

So I wonder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post

1- These statements don't come from just five children.
2- Where are you living that you need evidence of the massive illegal migration of Mexican foreign nationals and the unwillingness of their offspring to assimilate? Alaska? Maine? A ranch in Idaho?

The evidence is EVERYWHERE.

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-01-2007 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: deleted extra quote line

Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
Report me for what, Sean? Take what down. I am referring to English Teacher's list of non-compliant youth!

Oh, I see your name got pulled into the quote, I've erased it. Hope that relieves your mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
On the Road I didn't post that quote...take it down or I will report you

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-01-2007 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 01-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Sorry, but Thank you for doing the right thing.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:25 PM

989 posts, read 5,326,022 times
This is a horrible tragedy, and I am glad others feel the same way as I do.

Every once and a while, I like to go to Home Depot and yell "La Migra! Ma Migra!" [Mexican term for immigration authorities] They get soo scared.. Most of them run away and hide.

We, as Americans, need to keep these people on their feet. In a country that enforces it's laws, this is how these people should be treated. You can argue that these are human beings.. blah, blah, blah.. But the difference is: the existence of bad and good.

You show disrespect for OUR laws, I show disrespect to YOU.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM

39 posts, read 192,764 times
Default Re: God **** illegals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I guess you're just part of that lucky upper tax bracket. Please believe me when I say that the average citizen is doing much worse than in previous administrations.

Only 2 more years!!! HAHAHA!!! I can't wait. Unless the Dem supports legalization of illegals. Then I'll be sad. Sigh. Oh well. I'll probably just vote for a third party again since I'm sure both main parties up for election will be equally smarmy and useless. Any one think there's any hope for a third party to win? Independents any good lately?
You can bet your a## that the Dems will pass an amnesty program and Bush will gladly sign it into law. How mistaken I was in 2004. But then again, what were the options? Maybe next time...

Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
does it bother ANYONE besides me to hear on the phone
press one for english?
i have been SPEAKING english for almost 50 years-why do i have to CHOOSE to speak in english?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,820 times
does it bother ANYONE besides me to hear on the phone
"press one for english?"

No, I just press 1. You have to pick your battles.

Do I get frustrated when I can't find an English speaking clerk at the supermaket? Yes, but I deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or