U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM

28,200 posts, read 43,490,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
Mexicans make up the overwhelming proportion of illegal aliens in this country.
And?? Nobody's denying that, but you're all implying that every Mexican is illegal... don't you understand the difference there? Sure, most of the immigrants who come over illegally are Mexican, simply because of geography (after all, Germans can't run to California!). But does that mean we should stereotype and chastize all Mexicans, even those who came here legally? That's all I'm trying to point out...

Quote:
It's quite startling when you realize how large the Hispanic growth rate in this country has been since the 1980s and that many consider their loyalty to the country they came from. We're shooting ourselves in the foot and Americans are getting fed-up. There's certainly no reason for Whites to become racial minorities in the country they fought and built from nothing. Then again, the powers that be in Europe are hard at work to change their demographic into an Arab-Muslim one.
It's called change... societies have been going through changes for thousands of years, and we've always managed to survive! Who cares if white people become the minority? Wasn't this country dark-skinned to begin with anyway? Maybe it's because I've always been a minority (Jewish), but I really don't understand why it's such a big deal... are white people that great??

Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 PM

28,200 posts, read 43,490,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
That doesn't change the fact that plenty of illegal aliens are involved in violent crime and both Black and Hispanic crime is disproportional -- which is hard to gauge because the govt ropes "Hispanic" into the White crime rate, thus causing it to rise even though the majority of Hispanics in this country are not White.
That's all true, but once again - not specifically a political/immigration issue, is it? I think we need to concentrate more on crime prevention HERE, by making sure our children get proper educations and social programs (no, not welfare - I mean activities to keep them out of trouble). Maybe if we stop focusing so much on who's coming in, and try taking care of those already here, some of these problems will begin to improve. Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...

Old 12-18-2006, 01:37 PM

481 posts, read 809,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh yeah?? And how many legal citizens are killing people every day? I can bet it's a heck of lot more than 12... even proportionally, it's probably much higher.

Yes, and when American citizens commit crimes we have a better chance of finding this person than we do some no name outta Mexico. Just like if an illegal hits your car. S/he hits your car and drives off you're never going to find them again to get your justice. And they don't have the money or the insurance.

For legal immigrants, if they commit a crime, it can be found out through DNA and fingerprints that are taken when they come in to do all the visa stuff. So they're on file. Citizens born here are also traceable just because they've got ties to the community, etc. Obviously we don't always catch them, but chances are higher if you know every relative's location, friend's, etc. And you can monitor social security infomation to track their movements if they use a credit card, get a job, etc.

Another reason so many are illegal is because of our strict quota system re. immigration. We do not extend very many visas for immigration to the US from the Hispanic nations. That makes it hard for them to come legally. So they exploit geography and our weak government enforcement of the law and run across the border.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,949,870 times
Quote:
It's quite startling when you realize how large the Hispanic growth rate in this country has been since the 1980s and that many consider their loyalty to the country they came from.
Please put something into perspective. You can consider yourself Hispanic if one of your forefathers dipped a toe in South or Central America. Before recent times, there was no Hispanic designation so everyone was considered White. Once they declared Hispanics an "official" designation, a lot of previously classified Whites were able to become Hispanics too -- and being Hispanic allows you to be classified as a minority. And being a minority allows you "special" privileges.

My grandfather was from Brazil and moved here around 1900. My name is as White as White could be. It's so white no one would ever classify me as anything other than Anglo Saxon. But now, thanks to this forum, I've discovered that I can be Hispanic too!! (Oh! And my Brazilian grandfather was of European descent.)

So, does that mean the population of Hispanics just went up? And the White population just went down?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM

481 posts, read 809,105 times
Quote:
That's all true, but once again - not specifically a political/immigration issue, is it? I think we need to concentrate more on crime prevention HERE, by making sure our children get proper educations and social programs (no, not welfare - I mean activities to keep them out of trouble). Maybe if we stop focusing so much on who's coming in, and try taking care of those already here, some of these problems will begin to improve. Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...
Except that if we DON'T focus on who's coming in, pretty soon you'll be providing all those programs to all of Mexico, Guatemala, etc. They won't ever stop coming until we stop them. And hey, I'll bet you 10 bucks that they'll demand your programs be offered in Spanish! The point is that these people don't want to fit in with us. They just want us to change for them.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's because I've always been a minority (Jewish), but I really don't understand why it's such a big deal... are white people that great??
Ha! I'm still trying to find out what "White Culture" is on another thread! That one really stumped me! Is "grits" a White Culture item? Sauerkraut? Hot dogs? Apple Pie? What is "White Culture"?

Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Yes, and when American citizens commit crimes we have a better chance of finding this person than we do some no name outta Mexico. Just like if an illegal hits your car. S/he hits your car and drives off you're never going to find them again to get your justice. And they don't have the money or the insurance.

For legal immigrants, if they commit a crime, it can be found out through DNA and fingerprints that are taken when they come in to do all the visa stuff. So they're on file. Citizens born here are also traceable just because they've got ties to the community, etc. Obviously we don't always catch them, but chances are higher if you know every relative's location, friend's, etc. And you can monitor social security infomation to track their movements if they use a credit card, get a job, etc.

Another reason so many are illegal is because of our strict quota system re. immigration. We do not extend very many visas for immigration to the US from the Hispanic nations. That makes it hard for them to come legally. So they exploit geography and our weak government enforcement of the law and run across the border.
This post is so funny.

The Green River killer (Gary Ridgeway) killed 48 women between 1982 and 1984 and it took them, oh, 20 YEARS to catch him! The B.T.K. serial killer in Wichita (Dennis Rader) killed 10 women between 1974 and 1991 and it took them, oh, until 2005 to catch him!

So if an American citizen hits your car and drives away, they are going to catch him quicker than they catch serial killers??!!

I just can't stop laughing...

Old 12-18-2006, 03:28 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,660,356 times
Quote:
.. and I still have no clue who's illegal versus legal...
A good way to tell is by screaming "INS" or "Border Patrol" and see who runs!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-18-2006 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,010,123 times
*whew* as I just read through this whole thread, I find it amusing that the troll who started it --new member who hasn't posted since-- has really ruffled some feathers.

It's obvious that everybody agrees it has to stop. But as we were "discussing" on another thread, the 4 million or so kids of these "illegals" are "us" and we now have to figure out ways of absorbing them because they are now American citizens thanks to all of us who haven't tried to alter the 14th amendment maybe 20 or so years ago (?). And furthermore, aren't these kids still considered "anchor" children who can then legally bring more of their "illegal" relatives into this country once they reach adulthood?

Oh man, what's to become of all of this!?

--'rocco

Old 12-18-2006, 04:01 PM

211 posts, read 219,498 times
Quote:
Who cares if white people become the minority?
I do, for one. There's no point Europeans becoming minorities in Europe, America and elsewhere as the rest of the world becomes less diverse than ever. Whites are 10% of the world population and declining, is there a point to becoming minorities in our own countries? No.

Quote:
Wasn't this country dark-skinned to begin with anyway?
No.

Quote:
are white people that great??
Unfortunatly, we're told (despite being <10% of the world population and rapidly becoming minorities in our own countries -- where as Black, Arab, Asian, etc countries are less diverse than ever) we can't have pride. In the United States, you can only have pride in your race as long as you are non-White.

To answer your question -- yes I think so. Look around you -- trains, cars, computers, internet, tv, radio, electricity, etc etc etc. I think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or