Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times

Advertisements

Gizmo, those are some great points!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
I can't wait to hear the reponses for this one.
I'm not even bothering to read most of them... it's the same BS in one post after another, and I really don't know why I'm even wasting my time.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Mistreating immigrants is never right, but do you realize it took a generation or two for them to assimilate? There used to be strictly Irish neighborhoods in NYC (for example), and they pretty much stuck to themselves & their traditions. In fact, their lack of "American-ness" is what caused most of the poor treatment toward them. Besides, how do you think St. Patrick's Day became an Americanized holiday? That's not exactly part of the Native American or British culture! But if Cinco de Mayo becomes a popular U.S. holiday (already is around here), you'd probably whine endlessly about that. Anyway, I've posted quotes about Irish immigration before, so you can look them up if you're interested. Btw, my relatives came from Poland and Ukraine, and it took them at least a generation to assimilate... my grandparents spoke Yiddish and Polish/Russian in the house, since my great-grandparents didn't really know English - even after being here for many years.
See, my family jumped right in, they knew english within the first year and 1/2 even though they were banished and segregated from others according to the diary, so yes they formed areas of just the Irish, they had no choice, they were not wanted.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Gizmo, those are some great points!
Thanks. I'm probably just speaking to a brick wall, but it feels good to vent my feelings on this... though logic is often lost on the hard-headed, right?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:42 PM

The antimosity towards illegal immigrants has drifted rather quickly in the past few years from the issue to the people itself. The increase in negativity, has risen more anti-illegal immigrant arguments and responses than positively fixing the issue. i.e. increasing border patrol and allowing Law Enforcement on all levels to enforce immigration laws

Old 12-30-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm assuming an illegal CAN'T enlist, even if they wanted to... but there are plenty of legal Latino immigrants in the military, many of whom have died in the "war" recently. Anyway, your point makes absolutely no sense, since you clearly said "after becoming citizens"... and many Latinos have done that as well. So that really isn't a logical comparison! If you were comparing the illegal Irish immigrants with the illegal Mexicans, that might have some validity.
I meant illegals trying to become legals and enlist. Yes they are many many legal immigrants in the forces now, but nowadays I dont see many illegals coming over to actually become citizens like alot in the past did, such as my family, more come to just milk us.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm probably just speaking to a brick wall, but it feels good to vent my feelings on this... though logic is often lost on the hard-headed, right?
Yeah that is true. LOL. But, you make perfect sense to me. Anger and negativity tend to clog a person's ability to think properly.

Quote:
How is not agreeing with you hard headed? Are people suppose to take your feelings and opinions as gospel? your right we are wrong? opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
See, my family jumped right in, they knew english within the first year and 1/2 even though they were banished and segregated from others according to the diary, so yes they formed areas of just the Irish, they had no choice, they were not wanted.
Good for them, but not everyone is so lucky... as I've mentioned on other threads, I used to teach ESL literacy, and most of them struggled with our language. Some took english classes for years, and still couldn't pass as fluent! As for not being wanted, do you really think Latino immigrants choose to live in bad areas? I'm sure they'd love to live in Pacific Palisades, but it's just not a choice for them... maybe their children or grandchildren will, however, and that's precisely why they come to the U.S. It is the land of opportunities, after all.

Btw, isn't english an official language of Ireland? Maybe your ancestors spoke Gaelic mainly, but as far as I know, english has been commonly used there for many years... correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what my brain is telling me!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
The antimosity towards illegal immigrants has drifted rather quickly in the past few years from the issue to the people itself. The increase in negativity, has risen more anti-illegal immigrant arguments and responses than positively fixing the issue. i.e. increasing border patrol and allowing Law Enforcement on all levels to enforce immigration laws
You will never find me walking around calling illegals names of any sort. Cant say the same about the illegals I have encountered. ( construction, remember)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration