Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,720 times

Advertisements

Spaniards are hispanics the word hispanic comes from spain what the hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mex-e View Post
Spaniards are hispanics the word hispanic comes from spain what the hell.
You know that and I know that.

Yet; a person of any variety of 'Hispanic' heritage born/raised in England is English------not 'Hispanic' under US gov't guidelines.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why would ANYONE in the Mexican government, (OR in the US business community) want to disrupt this 'cozy' arrangement?
WOW, Macmeal . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
If I was spaniard, I wouldnt want to be grouped with Latinos either. Hispanic TECHNICALLY covers Spanish people, but the groups are not the same.
Spain brought tremendous influence on Latin-American people, mixed with the natives a bit, but still not the same. Sure many Spanish people STAYED in Latin America, making it their home, but they are still not the same.

thats like saying portuguese should be grouped with brazilians and the people of African nations that used to be portuguese colonies.

Or the dutch should be grouped with the people of New Guineau.

Or the British should be grouped with Indians.

Or any European people should be grouped with their African colonies.

Etc etc etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
If I was spaniard, I wouldnt want to be grouped with Latinos either. Hispanic TECHNICALLY covers Spanish people, but the groups are not the same.
Spain brought tremendous influence on Latin-American people, mixed with the natives a bit, but still not the same. Sure many Spanish people STAYED in Latin America, making it their home, but they are still not the same.

thats like saying portuguese should be grouped with brazilians and the people of African nations that used to be portuguese colonies.

Etc etc etc.
OTOH:

Calling a Mexican, etc. Spanish is not really much of an insult------if anything, it is almost a compliment.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Spanish vs Hispanic

Arizona Bear,

Truly sad that Mexicans who get called Spanish view this as a compliment. They must really hate their own people (Mexicans with indian blood).

Growing up in rural Indiana, we only knew the Mexicans who would come and pick tomatoes seasonally or work in landscaping. Most of these were of Indian descent and generally lower-class. Most of the Mexicans in Chicago are from similar stock. Good people generally, but from a lower socio-economic background.

Until I spent time at summer camp (Culver Military Academy) in junior high with the upper classes from Mexico I thought everyone from Mexico was poor. Those I met at camp were of Spanish descent, dark hair, but light skin generally. Most of them had parents with vacation homes in the US and Europe, certainly the jet set lifestyle. By the way, they were some of the most arrogant and spoiled people I have ever met.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
OTOH:

Calling a Mexican, etc. Spanish is not really much of an insult------if anything, it is almost a compliment.
OTOH? my point is, you need to stop including Spaniards with latino people on these forums.
You cant group the european imperialists with the people of the countries they invaded. They are not the same.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
OTOH? my point is, you need to stop including Spaniards with latino people on these forums.
You cant group the european imperialists with the people of the countries they invaded. They are not the same.
Under US government guidelines: any individual from either Spain or any Spanish speaking country is considered to be 'Hispanic'.

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68188.htm - broken link)

Old 05-13-2008, 03:39 PM

185 posts, read 355,376 times
We need to seal both borders but we definitely need to concentrate on the south.

I would not tend to a scratch (Canadian border) while I bleed to death from a severed artery (Mexican border.)

Canada is starting to feel the ill effects of the Mexican invasion (where the heck does aztlan stop anyway?!) so hopefully they will start securing the northern border. We sure could use a little help seeing how much we've done securing the southern border.

We could easily secure both borders and inspect everything going through the ports if we didn't have our national guard and border patrol agents securing borders in IRAQ!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,720 times
yeah itz not the same cuz latinos r southamericans,central and mexio eventhough many don't called latinoand hispanics are southamericans and europeans who speak spanish portuguese.
Quote:

Etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration