Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What studies (even case studies) are you referring to when you say "they [walls] work" at that scale and also when you discuss the relation between not wanting a wall and having an "agenda to allow the flow of illegal aliens to continue". It seems like you're making stuff up to justify your own opinion.
There is a huge hole in the argument that "walls work" that never get discussed. We are only building a wall on one side of the property. If you only wall the back yard it will not stop anyone from coming onto your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 07:17 AM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What studies (even case studies) are you referring to when you say "they [walls] work" at that scale and also when you discuss the relation between not wanting a wall and having an "agenda to allow the flow of illegal aliens to continue". It seems like you're making stuff up to justify your own opinion.

Major flaws in what you're making up are:

1) There are people who support the wall but also have personal or professional interest in having illegal aliens in the country. People that employ these illegal aliens or benefit from the employment of these illegal aliens, for example.

2) There are people who have conceded that, unfortunately, Trump has failed to get funding for the wall from Mexico.

Historically, our military has been our best weapon. You don't need to spend billions on a wall to deploy the military (which you would still need to do once the wall is up). I'm tired of this nation becoming so politically correct and afraid to use our military. Every time I was deployed, I felt the confidence the American people had in this nation.

There is no denying that there are those who don't want the wall which has nothing to do with how it is funded or claiming that the good walls just don't work. Many are bleeding hearts, hire them for profit or have ethnic ties to illegal aliens.

Where were these same people back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed and it was to be soley the taxpayer to fund it? I don't recall any outrage about it back then. I have also explained why it is cost effective to the taxpayer if they had to fund it. The wall will cost approximately $25 billion vs the over $100 billion a year that illegal immigration costs us.

Unfortunately, our military can't be deployed to our border for any length of time and they are restricted from using any force so that's not going to fly.

Trump still has a plan to make Mexico pay for it. Below are links proving that the good walls do work and Trump's plan. He never said that Mexico would write a check for the wall.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/topi...border-patrol/

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

Old 01-05-2019, 10:15 AM

There is no plan for a 2,000 mile long wall. Trump just wants the 700 mile long wall funded and built that was already approved by congress back in 2006. I have posted several links proving that the good walls in place already have been very effective in deterring illegal entry. Even the Border Patrol and Homeland Security have stated as such. If anyone knows it would be them.

The visa over stayers are also a problem but they must be dealt with in a different way. Are we to just ignore the thousands of border jumpers every month? The wall is for them not the visa over stayers.

Are walls 100% effective? Of course not but should that be our goal? Deterring 80% of them isn't good enough? If walls aren't effective in deterring most unwanted entry then why do we have them around our homes and businesses?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 AM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
A wall will not solve the entire problem; legislation to change the immigration policies needs to be addressed. Yet there is more issues than illegal immigration that the Wall would reduce including drugs, sex-trafficking, cost to taxpayers for illegals in prison or getting benefits.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,420,342 times
This whole topic is Trump's way of diverting attention from all things shady on his end.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This whole topic is Trump's way of diverting attention from all things shady on his end.
How so when he was talking about a wall and border security even before he was elected?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,205,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslawyer2000 View Post
the wall is lost cause. It's not happening. Unfortunately, president trump wasn't able to get the funding he had promised from mexico.

However, illegal immigration is a serious issue. As is drugs, human trafficking and everything else. While it's not perfect, we have policies in place for allowing legal immigration and denying those who do not qualify. We also have laws in place to prohibit residents from supporting illegal immigrants. All of these policies and laws need to be enforced.

America has become so politically correct recently that it sickens me. We have a strong military for a reason. We need to use it more often and more effectively.
d r o n e s

Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,094,448 times
This morning's On Point radio show on NPR did have someone mention that there was a ravine along the border where a wall would be helpful to the border agents. Less staff would be needed to monitor the area if they had a barricade there.

Yes, every wall can be breached, but at least it is an obstacle that slows down anyone or a group from rushing our boundaries and helps manage the situation. Any length of wall would still need guards posted to monitor them.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM

10,013 posts, read 7,690,583 times
You couldn't pay me to live near the border. If I wanted to live in another country, I would have moved there legally. I can't imagine living near the border in the US and having to live in a place where it felt like a 3rd world country with all the crime and where everyone mostly speaks Spanish. Why should I feel like I need to learn illegal immigrants language just to understand them. They want to live here and take part in our freebies, then learn to speak our language.

How can you feel sorry for any of them when they could stay in Mexico and be safe but they want to come here instead to get freebies. If you want to give freebies, give to our country. If they were truly in danger, they would have stayed in Mexico. Why do democrats feel so sorry and say some come here for safety?

Why are we offering them so many freebies? If we stop that, maybe they would stop at Mexico.

I don't understand why Democrats want these illegals to come here and are on their side. It makes no sense. They just don't want to give Trump anything even at the American people's safety.

Go Trump. You got this. Don't back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration