U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,162,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hispanics don't care for the crackkdown on illegals which often involves their family and friends. So what?
From the comments at the end of the article...

jobrace wrote:
There is nothing racist about the sign. As I am from Mexico and also served this country, I fought for the right for this young lady to speak her mind. Whether you agree with her position or not, it's still a right in this country to speak your peace. And besides, she's against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, not LEGAL IMMIGRATION. There's a difference.
4/8/2008 7:08:44 PM

I guess not ALL Hispanics fit your generalization, do they olecapt???
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,567,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What is this, the zoo?
What evidence do you have that she was 'taunting' anyone? And even if she was, that in no way justifies physical assault by hispanic males.
It wasn't assault in anyway. A shoving and pushing match doesn't equal assault.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM

306 posts, read 317,223 times
Quote:

No way to tell with the facts as presented.
Yet you are assuming that things are a certain way even though there are no facts to sugest it and no one in the articles suggests it.

Quote:
My problem is that virtually every middle school I have ever dealt with would come down like a ton of lead on any group of boys who harrassed a girl in this fashion. That did not happen. And don't give me they won't mess with the hispanics or blacks...that is nonsense in any school with substantial minority populations. They always keep the boys in check...come hell or high water.

And they just did. Black night just provided this link. 3 of them have been suspended.

Teen hurt after taking illegal immigration sign to school | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5685125.html - broken link)

about the only sentence in the article I saw is this.

"Hayes said she was showing the sign in the hallway when a group of students tried wresting it away."

and that is rather vauge. Was she standing there holding the sign up for all to see chalenging the other students, or was she showing a few friends the sign "Hey this is what I made" as many kids do.

The latest article seems to back up the story of her being attacked over a scool assignment.

Random

Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,088,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I wouldn't advise you to test this out in some nearby mall or public place, Blacknight....you may be in for a rude awakening..(and a VERY expensive attorney's bill)....just my advice.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 PM

306 posts, read 317,223 times
Quote:
Please look up the definition and elements of the crimes Assault and Battery in ANY Criminal law book in the U.S. You should find that they meet those standards.

She felt REASONABLY threatened by their words and actions.
Phisical violence was done to her with intent.

Those from what I recall are the elements needed in most states to commit the crime.

What do you think is the legl definition of assault?

Random

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,024,255 times
Quote:
A shoving and pushing match doesn't equal assault.
Yes - it can constitute assault

It can also be battery

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 3,921,172 times
Quote:
Is that so!

Quote:
Legal Definition:

Assault:
A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault. Compare battery.

Battery

A crime consisting of physical contact that is intended to harm someone. Unintentional harmful contact is not battery, no mater how careless the behavior or how severe the injury. A fist fight is a common battery; being hit by a wild pitch in a baseball game is not.
assault - legal definition
battery - legal definition

Got it, grasshopper?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,218,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
And I suppose blacks all have rythm, and whites can't dance, right? I know DOZENS of Hispanics who are totally FED UP with illegal immigration, and are not shy about saying so. They'd be upset at your statement that they "don't care" for the crackdown....some do, and some don't. In MY experience, the SHRILLEST voices against "the crackdown" are guilty, liberal whites...but I admit, that's only my PERSONAL opinion, and not a blanket statement.
Something like 75% of hispanics oppose work place raids. More than that oppose police enforcement of immigration laws. Over half oppose drivers license constraints.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/84.pdf

There is always the odd view in any group. But Hispanics strongly disagree with the rest of the society on this issue.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,024,255 times
Quote:
Something like 75% of hispanics oppose work place raids. More than that oppose police enforcement of immigration laws. Over half oppose drivers license constraints.
Yet - LEGAL Hispanics are "turning in" those Hispanics here Illegally - at least here in Arizona

Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,093,304 times
Quote:

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/84.pdf

There is always the odd view in any group. But Hispanics strongly disagree with the rest of the society on this issue.
Frankly; if said 'Hispanics' (or anybody else) do not like my country enforcing its laws-------they can leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration