Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 25,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Did you go to public school? I did, violence in schools crosses all racial boundaries and does not need to be instigated by teachers assignments.

I doubt a college would even have such an assignment.
Yes it would, but the major difference in the college setting would be that the students are more understanding of others than teenagers who aren't mentally prepared to tackle controversial issues like this. They'll act out with what their feeling at the moment rather than take in the scope of what the protesters are trying to convey. Then again even adults become narrow minded to social isues like this that it might as well be like dealing with a bratty kid. The teacher was just asking for trouble. Honestly who doesn't rationaly think this wouldn't spark an incident among these kids. I can only phatom why this idiotic teacher even assigned a project like this. Especially in Texas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Did you go to public school? I did, violence in schools crosses all racial boundaries and does not need to be instigated by teachers.

These individuals need to learn to deal with ideas they do not agree with in other ways.
In today's schools with their 'Zero Tolerance for Anything That is Not Extremely Left Wing' policies, students are sent home or suspended for things like drawing a picture of a gun or having a butter knife in their lunch bag. I find it real hard to believe that students go around routinely whacking each other over the head any time they have a disagreement with no repercussions.

Any high school or college that fails to teach our children how to discuss a controversial issue without coming to blows has done them no favors.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-iE EnE最後に!!! View Post
Yes it would, but the major difference in the college setting would be that the students are more understanding of others than teenagers who aren't mentally prepared to tackle controversial issues like this. They'll act out with what their feeling at the moment rather than take in the scope of what the protesters are trying to convey. Then again even adults become narrow minded to social isues like this that it might as well be like dealing with a bratty kid. The teacher was just asking for trouble. Honestly who doesn't rationaly think this wouldn't spark an incident among these kids. I can only phatom why this idiotic teacher even assigned a project like this. Especially in Texas...
So if the hispanic students at school wish to take part in the May 1 pro- illegal immigration protests they should be discouraged from doing so since they are not mentally prepared to tackle a controversial issue?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Did you go to public school? I did, violence in schools crosses all racial boundaries and does not need to be instigated by teachers.

Education is more then just being able to spit out memorized facts. Education is also about learning how to have rational discourse, look at events from all angles, make desicions based on logic and fact as oppossed to lashing out.
Colleges do this all the time. As do high schools (or at least the better ones)
What you are preposing is putting children in some kind of mental padded cell ---- after all, the poor dears are much too fragile to think for themselves, to figure out rationale responses to disruption. Oh no! They must be wrapped in intellectual cotton lest someones feelings get hurt. BS.
The thugs who man handled and threatened rape because they didn't like a sign that protested illegal immigration, not race. Those boys don't deserve to be in a normal school, not until they learn self control --- something that they should have learned by the first grade. I am interested to learn how often these boys have been involved in violent incidences in the past? Is this a pattern for them?
And lastly, it seems (and please do correct me if I am wrong) what you and others who have tried to excuse this behavior are dancing around is that this is cultural. And if that is so, it still doesn't make it right or legal in this culture.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Here is the sign that sent the young scholars into such a frenzy:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE...-illegals sign

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Here is the sign that sent the young scholars into such a frenzy:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE...-illegals sign

I hope that by televising the sign it doesn't set off riots of all who see it, apparently we the people lack all self control

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Education is more then just being able to spit out memorized facts. Education is also about learning how to have rational discourse, look at events from all angles, make desicions based on logic and fact as oppossed to lashing out.
Colleges do this all the time. As do high schools (or at least the better ones)
What you are preposing is putting children in some kind of mental padded cell ---- after all, the poor dears are much too fragile to think for themselves, to figure out rationale responses to disruption. Oh no! They must be wrapped in intellectual cotton lest someones feelings get hurt. BS.
The thugs who man handled and threatened rape because they didn't like a sign that protested illegal immigration, not race. Those boys don't deserve to be in a normal school, not until they learn self control --- something that they should have learned by the first grade. I am interested to learn how often these boys have been involved in violent incidences in the past? Is this a pattern for them?
And lastly, it seems (and please do correct me if I am wrong) what you and others who have tried to excuse this behavior are dancing around is that this is cultural. And if that is so, it still doesn't make it right or legal in this culture.

I am all for a good protest or debate.

However, it seems you have lost reality with todays schools. This is an especially sensitive topic here in the southwest because many people do take the "illegal" topic out on the Mexican people (I know first hand). Wrong it may be, but kids especially will take it the wrong way.

You can run off touting how good school students should be, but in reality we have a lot of messed up little kids from all races and we do not need teachers getting them enraged.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I am all for a good protest or debate.

However, it seems you have lost reality with todays schools. This is an especially sensitive topic here in the southwest because many people do take the "illegal" topic out on the Mexican people (I know first hand). Wrong it may be, but kids especially will take it the wrong way.

You can run off touting how good school students should be, but in reality we have a lot of messed up little kids from all races and we do not need teachers getting them enraged.
I can understand a little of where you are coming from.

But it is ridiculous to have school policy set to not offend or inflame little a******s who are out of control. If the school system pampers them now in middle school, what will they be like in High school? Oh, they'll probably drop out I suppose, but still....that means god help the person that inadvertantly tail gates one of those boys ten years from now or in any way make them upset. What then? Judge, you shouldn't sentence this man for assault and battery because his feelings were hurt and he just lashed out? no. Personal responsibility needs to make a comeback in this country.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Please...you never put any stock in my writings. I write for those who approach the subject with an open mind.

Your writings are classical xenophobic rantings cloaked in the cover of "illegal" oppositon.
Interesting.

If you have even bothered to read my prior posts; you will notice that I tend to use the word 'illegal' prior to my mentioning immigrants if they are indeed here in the USA unlawfully.

Legal immigration I agree with............

The illegal variety needs to be dealt with accordingly--------and, 'amnesty' does not qualify.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
What irks me to no end is why immigrants from Asia (mst of whom happen to be legal admittedly) tend to do so well in public school yet 'Hispanics' of Mexican background all too often blow it.

The 'race' argument I do no accept---------most North American Latinos are of at least part Indian (Asian) background, genetically speaking.

So; it must be the culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration