Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:58 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I don't agree that they should cross over here to have a baby that will become a citizen. I also do not believe in a citizen of this country having babies from several different daddy's to be able to stay on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
Undocumented workers and their supporters will take to the streets here May 1 to demand an end to the raids and deportations and for legalization. Protest organizers of the May 1st. Stop the Raids, no more Deportations, Immediate and Unconditional Legalization for All!

This is the demand of the leaders of the Immigrant rights groups that will be protesting on May 1st. How many Americans support total legislation and an end to immigration enforcement? How will the protests come across to the average American?
What a great opportunity to begin enforcing the law. They plan to gather on a specified day in a certain place.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What a great opportunity to begin enforcing the law. They plan to gather on a specified day in a certain place.
Yes, and so far there is still the freedom of speach, and unless you are in law enforcement, it might not be a good idea to try enforcing the law yourself, I'm sure you are aware of that though

Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
I don't agree that they should cross over here to have a baby that will become a citizen. I also do not believe in a citizen of this country having babies from several different daddy's to be able to stay on welfare.
Let me bring you up to date. President Bill Clinton signed a welfare reform bill, officially titled the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act back in 1996. This effectively ended 'welfare as we know it'.

It is now called TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy families). The benefit is available only for a limited amount of time and the goal is to help people move from gov. dependency to work. The days of generations of welfare recipients have ended.

Quote:
The welfare "reform" of the Clinton era consists of two major elements: a revolutionary change in the basic goals set by the federal government; and a dramatic "devolution" of responsibility – turning what used to be a federal, centralized system over to the states.

Reflecting the new federal mission, welfare rules now:

Require most recipients to work within two years of receiving assistance,
Limit most assistance to five years total, and
Let states establish "family caps" to deny additional benefits to mothers for children born while the mothers are already on public assistance.
Washingtonpost.com: Welfare Special Report

If you wish to limit TANF benefits only to women whose children all have the same father, you may have some difficulty with that.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Yes, and so far there is still the freedom of speach, and unless you are in law enforcement, it might not be a good idea to try enforcing the law yourself, I'm sure you are aware of that though
Where did he say or even suggest that he was planning on enforcing the law himself?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Sure there's freedom of speech, but there is not freedom (supposedly) to be here illegally which would be the law being enforced.

I never had any intention of enforcing the law myself, but I do think somebody should begin to enforce the law.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Not all those gathered for the march are illegal immigrants, majority of them are citizens or legal residents.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
....... majority of them are citizens or legal residents.

You have proof of the above statement? Or, is it only your opinion?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The above makes absolutely no sense at all -
It does to me - here's a translation:

illegal alien - valuable, working person.

American citizen - worthless non-worker.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM

440 posts, read 329,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You have proof of the above statement? Or, is it only your opinion?
Of course its his opinion. I work in downtown Chicago (illegal alien sancturary currently being sued by DHS) and have witnessed on more than one occasion the massive numbers of illegals being bused in and they ALWAYS chant in spanish. Now, if they are trying to communicate their plight to AMERICANS wouldn't it make sense to do so in ENGLISH? The only English I have ever seen (while never heard) during these marches was printed on the signs carried by the anchor babies which threatened: "Today we march, Tomorrow we Vote"., probably made up by Janet Murguia the leader of LaRaza (aka "the Race") and a few of Chicago's latino traitors voted into office by illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration