U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a temporary ban on all immigration be a good idea?
Yes 38 52.78%
No 34 47.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM

29,351 posts, read 12,471,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is not just Australia, but in Canada and Western European countries as well.

As it should be in the United States.
For the most part we don't need anymore software engineers or statisticians, we need people who will willingly clean the butts of old people and make motel beds for 10 hours a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 04:43 PM

5,881 posts, read 1,693,170 times
Not viable AND un-American.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:51 PM

12,294 posts, read 5,871,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Not viable AND un-American.
What's not "viable"? I'll tell you what is not "viable" --- that is allowing 1 million legal immigrants per year and untold numbers of illegal aliens into this country. We don't have unlimited potable water and buildable land. Thus allowing in so many people on an annual basis is not sustainable.

I don't know about you but I don't want a country of 1 billion or more people and not enough potable water. For example, India has more than 1 billion people and Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water. I want better than that for my descendants. What about you? Do you want the same for yours?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM

29,351 posts, read 12,471,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What's not "viable"? I'll tell you what is not "viable" --- that is allowing 1 million legal immigrants per year and untold numbers of illegal aliens into this country.
I'm not sure where you got that number but it's wrong, the fact is that Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. https://immigrationissues.wordpress....on-statistics/

And whether you like it or not, we need immigrants or we will end up in the same mess that Japan is in:

Not since 1937, when the country was in the grips of the Great Depression and birthrates were down substantially, has it grown so slowly, with just a 0.62 percent gain between July 2017 and July 2018. With Americans getting older, fewer babies are being born and more people are dying, demographers said.

The past year saw a particularly high number of deaths — 2.81 million — and relatively few births, 3.86 million. If the pattern continues, immigrants will soon be more important to population gains than the so-called natural increase, which is the number of births minus the number of deaths. That was not the case 10 years ago, when natural increase accounted for a far higher share of the country’s population gains.
https://outline.com/9Ffr7M

And whether the Toddler in Chief likes it or not, we are not attracting large numbers of blue eyed blonde haired Norwegians, why would they emigrate to a Country where they have to wonder where they will find the money for childcare, or if they will be able to afford health insurance, or have a pension? It ain't happening. We will continue to attract immigrants from places like China, India, and Africa.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 845,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure where you got that number but it's wrong, the fact is that Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. https://immigrationissues.wordpress....on-statistics/

And whether you like it or not, we need immigrants or we will end up in the same mess that Japan is in:

Not since 1937, when the country was in the grips of the Great Depression and birthrates were down substantially, has it grown so slowly, with just a 0.62 percent gain between July 2017 and July 2018. With Americans getting older, fewer babies are being born and more people are dying, demographers said.

The past year saw a particularly high number of deaths — 2.81 million — and relatively few births, 3.86 million. If the pattern continues, immigrants will soon be more important to population gains than the so-called natural increase, which is the number of births minus the number of deaths. That was not the case 10 years ago, when natural increase accounted for a far higher share of the country’s population gains.
https://outline.com/9Ffr7M

And whether the Toddler in Chief likes it or not, we are not attracting large numbers of blue eyed blonde haired Norwegians, why would they emigrate to a Country where they have to wonder where they will find the money for childcare, or if they will be able to afford health insurance, or have a pension? It ain't happening. We will continue to attract immigrants from places like China, India, and Africa.
Who will continue further change our country into what they left behind. Each country or continent is overpopulated and is reaching its carrying capacity. I want to ask you, in all seriousness, why you want to continually increase our population. If it is about economics, then eventually this country will be similar to China, India and Africa. No, thanks.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM

3,376 posts, read 3,354,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Who will continue further change our country into what they left behind. Each country or continent is overpopulated and is reaching its carrying capacity. I want to ask you, in all seriousness, why you want to continually increase our population. If it is about economics, then eventually this country will be similar to China, India and Africa. No, thanks.

Economics is one good reason. Thats why products or services in Canada, Australia are so expensive and they are trying to attract so many immigrants.

To keep services cheaper, USA encourage immigration as it will provide cheaper labor.

To keep economy growing with more consumer spending, they encourage all types of immigration if that means more consumer base.

Balance has to be maintained.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For the most part we don't need anymore software engineers or statisticians, we need people who will willingly clean the butts of old people and make motel beds for 10 hours a day.

True. Immigration should not be seen as snatching jobs from local people.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM

1,582 posts, read 1,803,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
A large segment of the population strongly feels that illegal immigration has created monetary losses
to many Americans. So as not to point fingers at one ethnic group would a temporary ban on all immigrants
coming into the United States be a viable solution to supply enough time to get our house in order?
As the old saying goes " Charity starts at home ".

What are your thoughts? Curious minds would like to know.
Since I think that large portion of the population is wrong on those facts, I obviously disagree. Not gonna get into your facts versus my facts because I have work to get out today, but...NO to your poll.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Big Business profit requirements decide the face of immigration.

During 1970s Oil crisis and increased popularity of Air Travel, the profit margins of various Motels across USA were going down. People were struggling to sell their Motel Businesses. US government found a solution to this problem. They started giving Green Cards to any Foreigner interested in purchasing american Business like Motel. Indians (especially with surname PATEL ) borrowed money in india and invested in Motel Business across USA to get Green Card, immigration. They were able to survive in this industry.

During Vietnam war, as enrolment in MS, Ph.D. courses fell down in various American Universities, they encouraged Foreign students.

Shortage of Doctors-Govt. dont want to spend money in either opening more Medical schools or reducing the Tuition where more American students can become Doctors (Medical). Solution is immigration.

Green Card Lottery winners are welcomed to attend Orientation program on how to become a 7-eleven franchise owner.

Bigg Business are driving immigration in this country.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 AM

34,443 posts, read 15,526,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Big Business profit requirements decide the face of immigration.

During 1970s Oil crisis and increased popularity of Air Travel, the profit margins of various Motels across USA were going down. People were struggling to sell their Motel Businesses. US government found a solution to this problem. They started giving Green Cards to any Foreigner interested in purchasing american Business like Motel. Indians (especially with surname PATEL ) borrowed money in india and invested in Motel Business across USA to get Green Card, immigration. They were able to survive in this industry.

During Vietnam war, as enrolment in MS, Ph.D. courses fell down in various American Universities, they encouraged Foreign students.

Shortage of Doctors-Govt. dont want to spend money in either opening more Medical schools or reducing the Tuition where more American students can become Doctors (Medical). Solution is immigration.

Green Card Lottery winners are welcomed to attend Orientation program on how to become a 7-eleven franchise owner.

Bigg Business are driving immigration in this country.

We aren't talking about banning immigration though we are speaking of and objecting to illegal immigration. I do think we need to control our immigration numbers though not ban them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or