U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a temporary ban on all immigration be a good idea?
Yes 39 53.42%
No 34 46.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:26 PM

1,539 posts, read 845,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Economics is one good reason. Thats why products or services in Canada, Australia are so expensive and they are trying to attract so many immigrants.

To keep services cheaper, USA encourage immigration as it will provide cheaper labor.

To keep economy growing with more consumer spending, they encourage all types of immigration if that means more consumer base.

Balance has to be maintained.
Until it teeters off the precipice: too many people chasing after fewer natural resources. Why growth at the expense of the environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM

1,998 posts, read 824,559 times
I think they should end any possibility of asylum. We shouldn't be accepting anymore asylum claims. There's 20 million illegals living in the country already.

I don't understand why they even bother. Everyone that attempts to cross the border should be turned away. If you give them hearings, it encourages more people to do that.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:05 PM

8,424 posts, read 6,616,497 times
to me, the idea of stopping ALL immigration for any period of time is wrong.

I'm for abundant legal immigration, for employment purposes and for real political asylum purposes, where the immigrant will contribute to our country.

I am against all illegal immigration in all its forms - at the border, at airports and ports, illegally crossing, overstaying visas, etc etc etc.

I am for giving Dreamers multi-year renewable visas and a path to citizenship.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:15 PM

34,444 posts, read 15,526,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
to me, the idea of stopping ALL immigration for any period of time is wrong.

I'm for abundant legal immigration, for employment purposes and for real political asylum purposes, where the immigrant will contribute to our country.

I am against all illegal immigration in all its forms - at the border, at airports and ports, illegally crossing, overstaying visas, etc etc etc.

I am for giving Dreamers multi-year renewable visas and a path to citizenship.

I'm for legal immigration in the numbers that we actually need so I wouldn't say I'm for abundant legal immigration. I disagree on the Dreamers. They need to go back home with their parents and apply to come back legally while they wait their turn in line to come back.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:27 PM

10,830 posts, read 7,683,366 times
In answering this poll again I would add that stopping immigration all together would never work.

How can anyone forget the push back and lawsuits that Trump faced when he called to stop travel from 5 dangerous countries, that Obama himself named as terrorist hot spots.

Today Trump is declaring a national emergency to confront the crisis at the border and the Left including the ACLU are lining up to sue and stall the building of a wall that would help slow illegal immigration into the country. What is more basic than keeping our border secure ? but the Left has no interest in protecting America.

The "huddled masses" from a century ago came to America to learn our customs and to contribute to our society but today they come with their hands out to take advantage of our "gullible generosity".

Times have changed and our immigration laws should change to reflect this but the Dems simply don't care. They think it is cruel and racist to stop the "migrants".

The country is in trouble.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM

993 posts, read 490,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Today Trump is declaring a national emergency to confront the crisis at the border and the Left including the ACLU are lining up to sue and stall the building of a wall that would help slow illegal immigration into the country. What is more basic than keeping our border secure ? but the Left has no interest in protecting America.
Limiting/stopping illegal immigration is not just basic, but necessary. The challenge is that we have incompetent and uneducated people who are resorting to the solution that appears to be the most obvious (the wall) because they lack the mental capacity to assess the facts and come up with a much more valuable solution because it's too complex for them to comprehend.

We know that illegal border crossing is at an all time low, but visa overstays and just general abuse of our visa system is at an all time high. We also know that we're not enforcing our own illegal immigration laws around those who hire them. Let's start there as that's where we'll make a significant difference.

There's no need to block legal immigration all together. We're a nation of immigrants and that's what has made us so successful. We, do, however, have to be careful about having limits and enforcing them.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:53 PM

753 posts, read 316,444 times
Quote:
In answering this poll again I would add that stopping immigration all together would never work.

How can anyone forget the push back and lawsuits that Trump faced when he called to stop travel from 5 dangerous countries, that Obama himself named as terrorist hot spots.

The "huddled masses" from a century ago came to America to learn our customs and to contribute to our society but today they come with their hands out to take advantage of our "gullible generosity".

Times have changed and our immigration laws should change to reflect this but the Dems simply don't care. They think it is cruel and racist to stop the "migrants".

You’re a broken record, Todd. Do you have a proposal to actually move forward with your new world order? Jailing people who propose liberal viewpoints? Right-wing indoctrination camps? Ethnic cleansing?

By all means, tell us how to get rid of this nefarious shadow organization that you call “the Left.”

Old 02-16-2019, 04:54 PM

2,942 posts, read 800,148 times
Immigration in all forms should have ended back in 2000.

Well....maybe not entirely, but almost entirely. I would have completely ended it many years ago, except for very intelligent or well-educated (or wealthy) individuals.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 800,148 times
Quote:

The "huddled masses" is a statement from a communist that some how found its way on the Statue of Liberty and today is a statement used by regressives for their hatred for European-America.

When Ted Kennedy said "the ethnic makeup of the country will not be upset" in 1965 prior to passing the Immigration Act, America was 85% White, 10 Black, and 5% "other". Our politicians said that that makeup would not be "upset". So as far as I'm concerned all the diversity we see today in America is a lie and based on out-and-out falsehoods and completely illegal.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM

5,620 posts, read 1,538,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
. So as not to point fingers at one ethnic group would a temporary ban on all immigrants
coming into the United States be a viable solution to supply enough time to get our house in order?
If America stopped all visas, they would immediately be sued by countless Americans who are married to a foreing spouse or applied for other family related visas in order to get their family to America. Family related visas are the most common type of visa and American citizens have a right to bring over their foreign spouse of family of a foreign spouse. So you can't ever get rid of all immigrants.

Instead, america should ban only certain types of visas. For example, the H1-B visa should not exist, it does not help Americans at all.
Quote:
The H-1B is a visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or