U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a temporary ban on all immigration be a good idea?
Yes 39 53.42%
No 34 46.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM

12,299 posts, read 5,871,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
You’re a broken record, Todd. Do you have a proposal to actually move forward with your new world order? Jailing people who propose liberal viewpoints? Right-wing indoctrination camps? Ethnic cleansing?

By all means, tell us how to get rid of this nefarious shadow organization that you call “the Left.”
Show us where anyone said anything about "jailing people who propose liberal viewpoints"? Also, show us where anyone said anything about "right-wing indoctrination camps" or "ethnic cleansing"? Take your time and once you've found all of this, post it here for all of us to see. We'll wait...

BTW, "the left" refers to those who either belong to the DNC, or support all democrat candidates or go to the polls and vote straight "D" all the time. I'm surprised that you aren't aware of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 07:11 PM

11,649 posts, read 4,275,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year while they only pay $19 billion in taxes and that is only their fiscal costs. They take jobs and resources from Americans also and overcrowd our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods. Many work for cash and don't pay any income taxes. They send billions back to their homelands not spent in our economy.

Fearful feelings? No, I'd sat it's resentment and objection to all of the above and rightly so!
Same old phony posts. Well refuted by Cato...

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed

And in fact the US dairy industry estimates their products would increase in cost by about 90% if the illegals were removed. That is one segment of US agriculture and some where between 50 and 100 billion dollars a year.

So removing the illegal aliens would likely raise the cost of food products by a few hundred billion.

It of course cannot happen. No way to suddenly end the illegal immigration...But note that an actual attempt to do so could likely crash the economy.

Rational Americans wqould be out to bring this nonsense to a halt. But the right wing will hold out preventing resolution...and screwing the low end US wage earner.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:15 PM

753 posts, read 316,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Show us where anyone said anything about "jailing people who propose liberal viewpoints"? Also, show us where anyone said anything about "right-wing indoctrination camps" or "ethnic cleansing"? Take your time and once you've found all of this, post it here for all of us to see. We'll wait...

BTW, "the left" refers to those who either belong to the DNC, or support all democrat candidates or go to the polls and vote straight "D" all the time. I'm surprised that you aren't aware of this.
You have poor reading comprehension or are being willfully obtuse - probably both. Todd (and people like you) constantly whine about how the country is broken and “the Left” is responsible. I suggested that he stop whining and offer solutions to #MAGA. Clearly, a wall won’t be enough, because 55-60% of the country will continue to resist the Redhats and their regressive agenda going forward.

Todd didn’t say anything about jailing dissidents or ethnic cleansing, but, frankly, it would’ve been a nice change of pace from his usual grousing about how we’re going to hell in a handbasket because of the Brazilians or the Mexicans, or whichever bogeyman is en vogue that day.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
You have poor reading comprehension or are being willfully obtuse - probably both. Todd (and people like you) constantly whine about how the country is broken and “the Left” is responsible. I suggested that he stop whining and offer solutions to #MAGA. Clearly, a wall won’t be enough, because 55-60% of the country will continue to resist the Redhats and their regressive agenda going forward.

Todd didn’t say anything about jailing dissidents or ethnic cleansing, but, frankly, it would’ve been a nice change of pace from his usual grousing about how we’re going to hell in a handbasket because of the Brazilians or the Mexicans, or whichever bogeyman is en vogue that day.
I was quoting what you wrote. If you read what I posted, you would have noticed the quotation marks put there to directly quote you. I'm not the one with "poor reading comprehension".

Do you deny that illegal immigration is a big problem? Have you experienced the deleterious effects of illegal immigration up close and personal in your community?

And, yes, the democrats and the RINOs are responsible for the mess we are in when it comes to illegal immigration. The shame of that is that at one time, one could count on the democrats to look out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those democrats of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the workforce due to illegal immigration. And they would have done something about it, too --- and I don't mean amnesty either.

The last democrat who wanted to stop illegal immigration was Bill Clinton. He was the one who had the wall built on the San Diego/Tijuana border. That wall has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crime. He also was responsible for forming the Jordan Commission: https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/bar...dan-commission Unfortunately, congress did nothing when it came to their recommendations. It was also during Bill Clinton's administration that congress passed a law saying that illegal aliens weren't allowed to get in-state tuition at state colleges. Many states have since thumbed their noses at that law.

In recent times, democrats did a 180 when it comes to illegal immigration. They now put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed American citizens. They also fight tooth and nail against border security and reducing the annual number of legal immigrants allowed into the country.

Neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time one could count on democrats to look out for their constituents.

So, yes, the democrats and RINOs are responsible for the mess we, as a nation, are currently enduring. Time for you to fully observe

Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 AM

753 posts, read 316,444 times
I’ll play your quotation game. Show us where in my post I denied “that illegal immigration is a big problem.” Or what any of it has to do with “the deleterious effects of illegal immigration up close and personal in [my] community.”

The point was for Todd and the Redhat Brigade to offer real solutions for fixing the “Leftist” problems they keep whining about. Apparently that’s asking too much. You just spent several long paragraphs ranting about “democrats and RINOs,” and you haven’t offered a single solution. So you build a wall? Now what? Whine some more about how Democrats hate America now?

Solid plan.

You’re just the Internet-savvy equivalent of the angry old Fox News viewer who never leaves his recliner.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 AM

34,444 posts, read 15,526,561 times
Building the wall has nothing to do with party affiliation or at least it shouldn't. We should all want border security which should include good physical barriers there's not a racist or regressive things about it. We aren't afraid of Latinos who come here legally as they aren't the issue it's those here illegally and it doesn't matter what national or ethnic group they are from anyway. Not our fault that the overwhelming majority are Latinos though.

It's irritating when one implies that it's just about Latinos here both legally and illegally and blatantly dishonest to make it so.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I’ll play your quotation game. Show us where in my post I denied “that illegal immigration is a big problem.” Or what any of it has to do with “the deleterious effects of illegal immigration up close and personal in [my] community.”

The point was for Todd and the Redhat Brigade to offer real solutions for fixing the “Leftist” problems they keep whining about. Apparently that’s asking too much. You just spent several long paragraphs ranting about “democrats and RINOs,” and you haven’t offered a single solution. So you build a wall? Now what? Whine some more about how Democrats hate America now?

Solid plan.

You’re just the Internet-savvy equivalent of the angry old Fox News viewer who never leaves his recliner.
If you read my post I never said that you "denied" that it was a problem Instead, I asked if you thought it wasn't a problem. A simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed.

Ah...reading between the lines it appears that you haven't experienced the deleterious effects of illegal immigration up close and personal. The topic has everything to do concerning whether or not you've experienced it. If you had experienced it, you would fully understand how harmful illegal immigration is to our country.

Read through this thread from the beginning. You obviously missed where I did give some solutions.

As for the last sentence of your post---your personal attacks are duly noted.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM

10,257 posts, read 5,668,257 times
No, I don't think a ban (temporary or permanent) on all immigration is warranted. I do, however, want a reduction in immigration and only allowing immigrants with certain in-demand skill sets into the country. I'd also be in favor of allowing a small amount of unskilled immigrants in for humanitarian purposes, but it has to be drastically less than we currently do as many are gaming the system and (even where they are not gaming the system) we have a hard enough time taking care of our own poor.

Old Today, 12:23 AM

5,477 posts, read 2,479,220 times
Lets Just start small, and take down the statue of Liberty. For clearly its no longer about Bring Us the poor or weary.Now we have this Undertone that "ONLY" IF they are xyz. I have zero problem with immigration and following the regulations for entry.

The Wall was and continues to be a joke. and an expensive waste of tax money .

Here is the thing, if one is fleeing another country due to extreme conditions (warfare, poverty, living conditions) ...Coming to america may be their last ditch effort to survival.

I'm composed of 50% Left brain and 50% Right brain, so I understand the LOGIC to curtail and re organize how to moderate the influx of immigration. I also understand from a compassion side the necessary actions and desperation of a person or family seeking refuge. But fear Not, the POTUS is really making this decision so much easier for the citizens. Lets just move out of this country ourselves and let him carry on ...as he is very good at carrying on so to speak...

tbf- the usa Knows and KNEW that the farming , construction , and restaurant business's utilized immigrants. the usa KNEW and turned a blind eye. It was our dirty little secret we kept . So if you want to suddenly be horrified that immigration ( illegal) has hit the POTUS as a Contention its because He likes to rattle cages of certain industries to get a reaction.

Old Today, 12:48 AM

7,302 posts, read 2,146,313 times
Yeah, I just can't find where that poem on the statue of liberty is anywhere in our constitution.

We need to raise the bar. Not end immigration but raise our standards and minimum requirements. We also need to track those here on education VISAs as well as work VISAs and make sure that they leave when they are supposed to. Those who don't need to be fined and deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or