U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a temporary ban on all immigration be a good idea?
Yes 23 54.76%
No 19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 596,440 times

Advertisements

A large segment of the population strongly feels that illegal immigration has created monetary losses
to many Americans. So as not to point fingers at one ethnic group would a temporary ban on all immigrants
coming into the United States be a viable solution to supply enough time to get our house in order?
As the old saying goes " Charity starts at home ".

What are your thoughts? Curious minds would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 PM

1,193 posts, read 368,808 times
We need to be like Australia. You have a skill they need, you are welcomed with open arms, otherwise, not so much.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
We need to be like Australia. You have a skill they need, you are welcomed with open arms, otherwise, not so much.

Thankyou.
A vocational or technical skill is much desired in growing economies.
Freeloading and living off the fat of the land ...............ehhhhh......not so much.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 PM

12,226 posts, read 5,821,584 times
Yes, something needs to be done.

Currently, we allow into this country 1 million legal immigrants per year and untold numbers of illegal aliens. This is not sustainable forever as we don't have unlimited buildable land or potable water.

A moratorium on immigration actually helps in the long run when it comes to assimilation. It gives the first generation that arrived here an opportunity to assimilate. With a steady stream of immigrants from various ethnic groups, it discourages the first to come from assimilating. For example, why learn English when there is a steady stream of others who speak your language and live in ethnic enclaves?

If you look at the ethnic enclaves that formed during the great immigration wave over 100 years ago, over time as the first generation to be born here learned English, assimilated and moved out. In many cities, for example, the Little Italys have fewer and fewer Italians living in them For example, the Little Italy in Manhattan in NYC is down to only a dozen families of Italian descent. In fact, it is losing ground to Chinatown. Currently, there is a steady stream of new immigrants coming here and seeking out Chinatowns.

Legal immigrants need to assimilate while illegal aliens, who have no business being here, need to leave.

Also, chain migration needs to come to a halt.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, something needs to be done.

Currently, we allow into this country 1 million legal immigrants per year and untold numbers of illegal aliens. This is not sustainable forever as we don't have unlimited buildable land or potable water.

A moratorium on immigration actually helps in the long run when it comes to assimilation. It gives the first generation that arrived here an opportunity to assimilate. With a steady stream of immigrants from various ethnic groups, it discourages the first to come from assimilating. For example, why learn English when there is a steady stream of others who speak your language and live in ethnic enclaves?

If you look at the ethnic enclaves that formed during the great immigration wave over 100 years ago, over time as the first generation to be born here learned English, assimilated and moved out. In many cities, for example, the Little Italys have fewer and fewer Italians living in them For example, the Little Italy in Manhattan in NYC is down to only a dozen families of Italian descent. In fact, it is losing ground to Chinatown. Currently, there is a steady stream of new immigrants coming here and seeking out Chinatowns.

Legal immigrants need to assimilate while illegal aliens, who have no business being here, need to leave.

Also, chain migration needs to come to a halt.

Thankyou for your interesting perspective.
I am a first generation born of immigrant parents.
They came to this country legally and did not speak a word of English.
They came with a skillset and worked their fingers to the bone contributing
to society, learning english all the while providing me with a wonderful education.
They earned their retirement. I followed suit and emulated. I earned my retirement.
It was not easy. Some of my immigrant family failed and returned to their place of origin.
No Housing, no food stamps,no medical. Sink or swim. It should be no different today.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:00 PM

12,226 posts, read 5,821,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Thankyou for your interesting perspective.
I am a first generation born of immigrant parents.
They came to this country legally and did not speak a word of English.
They came with a skillset and worked their fingers to the bone contributing
to society, learning english all the while providing me with a wonderful education.
They earned their retirement. I followed suit and emulated. I earned my retirement.
It was not easy. Some of my immigrant family failed and returned to their place of origin.
No Housing, no food stamps,no medical. Sink or swim. It should be no different today.
Yes, it was different back then. My maternal grandparents came here in 1921. They went to night school to learn English. As soon as they could, they became US citizens. They made sure to speak English as well as their native language to my mother, aunt and uncle. So when they started school they came prepared already speaking English.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 PM

46 posts, read 16,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
A large segment of the population strongly feels that illegal immigration has created monetary losses
to many Americans. So as not to point fingers at one ethnic group would a temporary ban on all immigrants
coming into the United States be a viable solution to supply enough time to get our house in order?
As the old saying goes " Charity starts at home ".

What are your thoughts? Curious minds would like to know.
This country has not taken care of and done right by the blacks here. Yes, I said it. We still need reparations, we still need justice, we still are here fighting for the basic right to live, and Amerikkka needs to do right by us before any new immigrants are allowed to do anything here, yet alone trying to force the Spanish language on us here. Please don't come for me about what blacks are not doing and doing. This country and government KNOWS what it has done to black people and I will speak on it

Old 01-29-2019, 08:28 PM
miu

16,858 posts, read 33,953,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Canada is the same way. Plus they don't want any impoverished immigrants either.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 PM

10,631 posts, read 7,594,747 times
There are so many problems with the immigration system such as we need to end birthright citizenship and chain migration also when an illegal alien is caught usually because they were arrested for another crime they are sent packing not given bail and a court date and we cross our fingers that they will show up.
It is crazy how a pregnant woman can come here on vacation, have her baby and then go home with that baby and 20 years later that baby can come back and have all the rights of a citizen.

There are different types of immigrants and my wife falls into this category. She came to America to make it her home and contribute to society without taking from it. She loves America as much as she loves her homeland.

Other immigrants come to America to make a better life for themselves and their family. They work hard and honest, learn our customs, our language and contribute more than they take.

Others come under false pretenses or they sneak in to take advantage of our generosity and to continue in their criminal gang activities.

The question is how do we differentiate between these very different groups? Banning them all would be a mistake.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, it was different back then. My maternal grandparents came here in 1921. They went to night school to learn English. As soon as they could, they became US citizens. They made sure to speak English as well as their native language to my mother, aunt and uncle. So when they started school they came prepared already speaking English.
Thankyou for sharing your story.
The similarities are compelling.
Immigrants back then had pride
goal oriented and with no expectations
other than a chance to earn a living
in return for hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or