U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 PM

50,332 posts, read 47,711,417 times

Advertisements

the great fear is mexican corruption
its what drove people here from there
i am no stranger to mexico
mexicans and americans have something
in common
they are both afraid of it

Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,653,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
We have now replaced the blacks and all the racial feelings towards them, to the Illegal Immigrants, and some of the feelings are justly
felt due to the economy here, but if it were not that, it would be because they are Mexican, the Mexican has taken the place of the blacks, and Mestizos/Indians from Mexico or central America and that is why they are stereotyped. It is like no one measures up to a white American. I think it is very dangerous when you stop seeing people because you think you are far above them.
It should be equal for everyone.
Try reading the rest of my post------------I included the Irish in there as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,983,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try reading the rest of my post------------I included the Irish in there as well.
I did, sorry but I did not feel it pertained to the real gist of what is going on.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,724,440 times
Quote:
We have now replaced the blacks and all the racial feelings towards them, to the Illegal Immigrants, and some of the feelings are justly
felt due to the economy here, but if it were not that, it would be because they are Mexican, the Mexican has taken the place of the blacks, and Mestizos/Indians from Mexico or central America and that is why they are stereotyped. It is like no one measures up to a white American. I think it is very dangerous when you stop seeing people because you think you are far above them.
OK, fair enough....there IS a degree of racism involved, and it's not fair to judge an entire group by the actions of "just 20 million or so"...but you yourself just stated that "..some of the (negative) feelings are justly felt due to the economy here...".....and I agree. So let's put aside the ranting of the racists for now, and discuss ONLY those feelings against illegal immigrants that are (in your own words) "Justly felt"..how about THAT? That's all many of us have EVER wanted to do....state the very LEGITIMATE reasons against illegal immigration, and leave the racist 'rants' to the racists. How about it?.....and BY THE WAY, what, exactly do you feel "should be equal for everyone"?....Are you saying that the benefits of American citizenship should be "equal" to the benefits of being here illegally? Are you suggesting that ALL human beings are entitled to live in the US, no questions asked?..or perhaps THAT privilege should be restricted only to American citizens, PLUS Mestizos from Mexico or Central America? I'm not 'getting it', Sassyone....what is it that "should be equal for everyone"?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 PM

47,585 posts, read 36,011,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Just read through this thread in its entirety, I am confounded by the complete ignorance here. But it is to be expected when you try to use colors(white and black), nationalities(Mexican, American), and Ethnicities interchangeably. That is the source of all "Race" classification confusion.

First of all, White and Black are colors. So for all intents and purposes, they mean nothing. Next, "Race" as a scientific concept hasn't made sense since the early 19th century, so for all intents and purposes, it means nothing as well. Ethnicity is the only thing that even remotely makes any sense when defining a population. So I will use that throughout this post. Leading me to state that....:

Nationality != Ethnicity. Not even close. Within Nigeria for example, there are dozens of different Ethnicities. They may all be Nigerian, but that is their nationality and not their Ethnicity. Mexican is a nationality, not an Ethnicity.

European, African, Asian, North American are all geographic distinctions. Being an African does not necessarily place you in the same ethnicity as anyone in on the African continent. So not all Africans are the same ethnicity, not all Europeans, not all Asians, etc.

Hispanic, is another beast entirely. It's seemed to come to denote a "Race"(which, remember people, doesn't exist) in a lot of people's minds for some reason. But it is a geographic term like African, European, and Asian. It describes people from the area of Central and South America. And in no way is related at all to language. Brazilians speak a different language and are still called "Hispanics" because they come from the same geographic location. But remember, "Hispanic" is NO ONE'S ethnicity.

Latin is a language distinction, it describes all people who speak a Latin based Romance language. This includes French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and Romanian. English is a Germanic language, for perspective.

Native American is not an ethnicity either, it is a term that denotes all people who were indigenous to the American continents BEFORE the arrival of Europeans settlers.

Now that our TERMS are clarified, we can attack the issue.

A person born in Latin America can be a mix of any indigenous ethnicity, any of the dozens of ethnicities on the European continent, or any of the hundreds of ethnicities of Western Africa.

Trouble is, very few people know exactly which ethnicity or mix of ethnicities they are. Thus they refer to themselves by their nationality, or, if they are idiots, their "Race".(Which, what kids? Does not exist! You're learning!"

So, in the nation of Mexico, there's a lot of different ethnicites, thousands of mixes, and no races.

Hope someone's learned something!

We all know that -- but you need to inform the group that calls itself "La Raza" (The Race) that they are not a race at all.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 PM

47,585 posts, read 36,011,377 times
Quote:

Big big difference though in the two groups. American blacks are American, illegals are not, they are citizens of their own countries.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. Illegals simply have no racial or other right to break the laws of this country to be here. Many people want to immigrate to the USA, but everyone cannot come. Immigration must be legal, orderly and just. Mexicans simply do not have the right to pack up and head on over and be given preference to those who would abide by the laws.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Default "Legal, Orderly, and Just"?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Big big difference though in the two groups. American blacks are American, illegals are not, they are citizens of their own countries.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. Illegals simply have no racial or other right to break the laws of this country to be here. Many people want to immigrate to the USA, but everyone cannot come. Immigration must be legal, orderly and just. Mexicans simply do not have the right to pack up and head on over and be given preference to those who would abide by the laws.
Sounds like very SIMPLE logic to me..but many posters apparently find this concept hard to grasp. The thinking SEEMS to be, that if immigration is "legal and orderly", then, by definition, it won't be "just"....and these folks undoubtedly agree with your statement that "everyone cannot come"....and that's FINE with them..they don't WANT 'everyone" to come......they want THEIR GROUP to come.....and, in their eyes, THAT is what's "just"....and "fair", too. (to THEM).

Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,983,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, fair enough....there IS a degree of racism involved, and it's not fair to judge an entire group by the actions of "just 20 million or so"...but you yourself just stated that "..some of the (negative) feelings are justly felt due to the economy here...".....and I agree. So let's put aside the ranting of the racists for now, and discuss ONLY those feelings against illegal immigrants that are (in your own words) "Justly felt"..how about THAT? That's all many of us have EVER wanted to do....state the very LEGITIMATE reasons against illegal immigration, and leave the racist 'rants' to the racists. How about it?.....and BY THE WAY, what, exactly do you feel "should be equal for everyone"?....Are you saying that the benefits of American citizenship should be "equal" to the benefits of being here illegally? Are you suggesting that ALL human beings are entitled to live in the US, no questions asked?..or perhaps THAT privilege should be restricted only to American citizens, PLUS Mestizos from Mexico or Central America? I'm not 'getting it', Sassyone....what is it that "should be equal for everyone"?
I'm not ranting, but what you have called on why the blacks were treated like they were and somewhat still are?
I will humor you on this, no I don't think that Illegals are entitled to benefits in this country. Did I say that...NO. I do believe that anyone that does become a citizen, YES they are entitled to live in this country.
The Mestizos etc, were from your friend Bear, and I responded to him.
I do feel that Americans are upset about the illegals because they somehow connect the Illegals for all the problems with our economy.
I don't have a list of why they should not be in this country, I did not invite them here, I have not formed friendships with them here and I never did hire them, in turn they have not had a negative impact on my life,
at least not to the degree that many of you have. This country has many problems besides immigration. Do you hear much about how many troops have lost their lives recently? No, because they have the election to have everyone focus on. I guess there has been a lot of news of their plans to fix immigration huh? I think they brush that off a quickly as they can.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm not ranting, but what you have called on why the blacks were treated like they were and somewhat still are?
I will humor you on this, no I don't think that Illegals are entitled to benefits in this country. Did I say that...NO. I do believe that anyone that does become a citizen, YES they are entitled to live in this country.
The Mestizos etc, were from your friend Bear, and I responded to him.
I do feel that Americans are upset about the illegals because they somehow connect the Illegals for all the problems with our economy.
I don't have a list of why they should not be in this country, I did not invite them here, I have not formed friendships with them here and I never did hire them, in turn they have not had a negative impact on my life,
at least not to the degree that many of you have. This country has many problems besides immigration. Do you hear much about how many troops have lost their lives recently? No, because they have the election to have everyone focus on. I guess there has been a lot of news of their plans to fix immigration huh? I think they brush that off a quickly as they can.
...uh....well, OK.....

Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,045,444 times
Whites used to be called Caucasians and blacks, Negroes. It is kind of curious why Mexicans are not considered browns when spoken about and Asian, yellows. The Indians then should be called reds. The color thing is just about white and black unless we're talking about the great old song most of us learned in Sunday School about Jesus loving "all the little children of the world." That song mentioned red, yellow, black, and white, but not brown.

Times are just too confusing now. Bring back simplicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration