Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
comming here illegally is just the firtst part. Refusing to speak English and generally turning your back on American culture by hanging Mexican flags in your windows, Demanding that everything be printed in Spanish and not following the law...well thats where it starts pissing Americans off.

1. Speaking little English or choosing not to speak English because people might laugh at your accent are different.

2. I see flags all the time of different countries, El Salvador, Portugal, England, Guatemala, Mexico, Spain e.t.c. all the time. That is not turning your back on American culture.

3. Who's demanding everything be printed in Spanish? It's called catering to a target market. Not a Government decision, its a company's decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
1. Speaking little English or choosing not to speak English because people might laugh at your accent are different.

2. I see flags all the time of different countries, El Salvador, Portugal, England, Guatemala, Mexico, Spain e.t.c. all the time. That is not turning your back on American culture.

3. Who's demanding everything be printed in Spanish? It's called catering to a target market. Not a Government decision, its a company's decision.
Catering to a target market? Or bieng sued by the ACLU because you dont?

Why try to learn the language of the land, when you have all of it in Spanish?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Catering to a target market? Or bieng sued by the ACLU because you dont?

Why try to learn the language of the land, when you have all of it in Spanish?
If you go to a foreign country and speak the language barely, would you feel more comfortable reading signs in the language of that country or your native language? Think about it, companies are realizing this.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
If you go to a foreign country and speak the language barely, would you feel more comfortable reading signs in the language of that country or your native language? Think about it, companies are realizing this.
"Go to" or "Move to" a foreign country? Going on Vacation to Japan is a heck of alot different than moving there forever...dont you agree? What do you think would happen if I moved to Mexico, Put up an American flag in my window, and demanded everyone speak English? I would probably be dead within 5 minutes....

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
comming here illegally is just the firtst part. Refusing to speak English and generally turning your back on American culture by hanging Mexican flags in your windows, Demanding that everything be printed in Spanish and not following the law...well thats where it starts pissing Americans off.
Exactly, but if we want them to do anything with American culture you either get the race card thrown at you, are the speech about Native Americans. Look, sure what we did was bad but guess what, all land throughout the start of time was taken over at one time or another.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
So your a Tejano? I believe Selena's brothers who are also Tejano denied their Mexican heritage

I'm Mexican, I'm not what you would call Anti-illegal, I'm anti-them coming over here and not doing it legally.

just how is the brother "denying his mexican heritage"? he said that he was "tex mex"

Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
just how is the brother "denying his mexican heritage"? he said that he was "tex mex"
He wasn't denying it because he said he was Tex-Mex, it was a series of other incidents.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default Spanish Signs

Signs are in Spanish not because of the ACLU but because companies are in business to make money.

This is why we look at my bank for bilinguals who can speak the language our customers and prospects speak (Polish, Russian, Spanish, etc., though mostly Spanish and Polish with this being Chicago). It is about generating more revenue for the bank by having a broader pool of customers.

For what it is worth it annoys me on cinco de mayo when you see all the cars honking, waving their Mexican flags, but this is America where they have the right to do this. We also have Polish flags in many windows but certainly Mexican flags are more common. We also have alot of Puerto Rican flags but of course Puerto Rico is part of the US, so no big deal.

I appreciate the Mexicans who come here to work and raise families but it does annoy me when I see Mexicans here 15-20 years who have yet to learn the language and use their kids as translators. You don't see this as much with other immigrant groups as they are much smaller and more forced to assimilate into America as a whole. Also, other immigrant groups tend to come here with higher levels of education than many Mexicans. Other than the exception of container ship Chinese, most other immigrants have the means to get on a plane to come here.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Signs are in Spanish not because of the ACLU but because companies are in business to make money.
FINALLY!! someone with some common sense.

*claps*

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,746,794 times
There are many Tex-Mex people who have basically no strong roots with Mexico. They could be second or third generation not being taught pride in their Mexican ancestry. The Latinos who don't support illegal immigration are usually the second and third generation people whose families have been entrenched in places like Arizona, NM, or Texas. They might speak limited Spanish at home, or only consider themselves vaguely Mexican through ancesteral blood. Though the original poster does not sound nasty at all against illegal immigration or immigrants, I'm only explaining which Latinos are probably most against Illegal Immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration