Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Because unfortunately illegals have tainted the reputation of the race in most peoples eyes. Its a sad truth, and that is their words, not mine.
For the record: my birth surname sounds 'Hispanic' and I am Nordic White (of Hungarian/English, etc. background).......I had it changed to a stereotypical 'WASP' one as well for several reasons.

Too; many immigrants to the USA tend to adopt stereotypical 'Anglo' names as time goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM

374 posts, read 231,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record: my birth surname sounds 'Hispanic' and I am Nordic White (of Hungarian/English, etc. background).......I had it changed to a stereotypical 'WASP' one as well for several reasons.

Too; many immigrants to the USA tend to adopt stereotypical 'Anglo' names as time goes on.
BS! Why in the Hell would I change my last name to an ANGLO sur name? WHHHHHHYYYYYY? My last name comes from my father, grandfather and great grandfather. It is who I am and where I'm from. It is my family and biological history. Please...give me a break. Talk about issues! You say several reasons. Name ONE good one.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
If your ashamed of how a group within your race has totally trashed the view of the entire raice, then why not? It shows that they are not Mexican and dont want to be Mexican but rather American. People assume a lot from a name, especially a name like Lopez, Hernandez, or Gonzalez.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
If your ashamed of how a group within your race has totally trashed the view of the entire raice, then why not? It shows that they are not Mexican and dont want to be Mexican but rather American. People assume a lot from a name, especially a name like Lopez, Hernandez, or Gonzalez.
OH pleeeeeeeeeeeasssseee, stop with the drama. You think I give a rat's a**, what you or anyone thinks about my last name. Please, I am latino, and changing my last name WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!. Am I to be ashamed that I am LATINO - NOT! I am very proud to be latino. To speak a second beautiful latin lanuage. I love my people's music, food, and sense of family and loyalty. I love my people's great sense of pride of who they are. And I'm gonna let some White, Black, Asian or Latino who thinks he's white, make me feel less of myself that I would change my last name. NO WAY JOSE! That is pure NONSENSE! And shameful too. Any latino that changes their last name for that reason should seek help. And people like me are positive images of successful latinos in this Country. And I represent the Latino community well...I would never try to deny what I am.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM

What is an American name anyway? Most of the common "American" names in this country are not American, they are EUROPEAN!. English, Polish, Irish, German, Italian. And Lopez, Gonzalez are not MEXICAN names, they are European also...yeah from a place called SPAIN! So changing your name to be "American" makes so sense what so ever. I am Hispanic againt illegal immigration, but against trying to be something your not.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM

493 posts, read 637,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
Me? I'm Tex/Mex. For those who don't know, that's not just some crappy food that'll make you fat (sorry I don't like it lol), and I'm totally against illegal immigration, as are a lot of the full-blooded legal Mexicans I know who own restaurants around here.

Thing is, we seem to never hear from these people in the media (or at least I don't). It's like we don't even exist.

So, anyone else here like me? Surely I can't be the only one
Well Nacho Ramos and Jose Compean are two hispanic border patrol agents and many people of different ethnic origins are trying to free them...keep in mind that radical groups have classified these heroes as "race traitors" for shooting a wet drug dealer in his buttcheek impairing his ability to bring wonderful imports such as drugs and more drugs into this country...I don't think you are the only one my friend, unfortunately pro-illegal immigrant hispanics have a louder voice at the current moment...as people of all ethnic backgrounds are realizing the magnitude of this situation they are demanding that this idiocy stop.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 AM

9 posts, read 22,118 times
Nobody seems to get the central problem in this issue--that labeling a person, as an "illegal person" (whatever the hell that is) is just an excuse to deny that person the legal rights of this country.
Who does that help?
It helps mostly construction companies, farms, and the restaurant industry to underpay people. In essence, it allows slavery to come back, without the necessity of housing said slave. I recently had a dishwasher working for me who was paid 350 dollars every two weeks, to work around 55 hours a week. I''m pretty sure he had about a 2nd or 3rd grade education at 26, and was illiterate. The only reason he was willing to work at that rate (at his third job) is because he was classified as an "illegal person".
The overall effect that it has is that it lowers the wage of the "legal" person, ultimately creating a situation that is bad for everyone, except the owner of the business.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
My next door neighbors are wealthy hispanics (they paid $1.3M for their house) and have an American flag out front of their house, they changed their last name from Gutierrez to Hammond. They are as Anti-illegal, pro-Republican as it gets and march in counter-alien rallies all the time. They are the most racist family I know, against hispanics.

that is REALLY turning your back on your ppl. i feel sorry for them.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM

334 posts, read 827,912 times
Originally Posted by ocexpo
My next door neighbors are wealthy hispanics (they paid $1.3M for their house) and have an American flag out front of their house, they changed their last name from Gutierrez to Hammond. They are as Anti-illegal, pro-Republican as it gets and march in counter-alien rallies all the time. They are the most racist family I know, against hispanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
that is REALLY turning your back on your ppl. i feel sorry for them.
Can you say drug runners hiding out?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
OH pleeeeeeeeeeeasssseee, stop with the drama. You think I give a rat's a**, what you or anyone thinks about my last name. Please, I am latino, and changing my last name WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!. Am I to be ashamed that I am LATINO - NOT! I am very proud to be latino. To speak a second beautiful latin lanuage. I love my people's music, food, and sense of family and loyalty. I love my people's great sense of pride of who they are. And I'm gonna let some White, Black, Asian or Latino who thinks he's white, make me feel less of myself that I would change my last name. NO WAY JOSE! That is pure NONSENSE! And shameful too. Any latino that changes their last name for that reason should seek help. And people like me are positive images of successful latinos in this Country. And I represent the Latino community well...I would never try to deny what I am.
Changing your last name probably is not for you, but it worked for my neighbors. People can do what they want with their own names, I dont care. But it is an increasing trend to change your name to get away from the hispanic stereotypes.

I am not against it, and it should be a personal choice. It is not escaping your heritage, its just change. Its like someone who does not feel culturally like a hispanic, doesnt live like a hispanic should have a name that reflects them.....if that is what they want. I dont see why you are so offended by their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration