U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2019, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Metropolis
1,205 posts, read 3,314,869 times
Reputation: 687

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yeah, like fences. Don't fences just put us all into a tizzy?
Those horrible fences. Donít even say the word!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2019, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,879 posts, read 19,552,789 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not really. Germany was one sovereign country divided by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation. The other is two distinct sovereign countries with immigration laws and procedures.
We'll just have to disagree there. The wall served the same purpose as ours, only in reverse. Whether it was a separate country or one divided by foreign occupation isn't really relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 09:09 PM
Status: "Justice-two way street, and not just in favor of barbarians" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: New York Area
14,775 posts, read 5,829,848 times
Reputation: 11661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not really. Germany was one sovereign country divided by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation. The other is two distinct sovereign countries with immigration laws and procedures.
Texas and California were parts of a sovereign Mexico until taken by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation.
Mexico became "independent", I believe,in 1821, and certainly had not stabilized as a nation by 1836. 1836 was the year that the Republic of Texas seceded from Mexico. The Republic of Texas was much larger than modern Texas, taking in about one half of New Mexico and a good-size chunk of Colorado. Mexico was hardly a country that was dismembered by another country. It existed in name only during that period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM
 
34,809 posts, read 15,700,456 times
Reputation: 9286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
We'll just have to disagree there. The wall served the same purpose as ours, only in reverse. Whether it was a separate country or one divided by foreign occupation isn't really relevant.
Sorry, but no they aren't the same thing and yes it is relevant that the citizens of entirely different countries not of the same ethnicity/culture like the Germans were are violating our immigration laws, taking our jobs, overwhelming our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods, adding to our crime rates and costing us over $100 billion a year because they are the poor, unskilled and uneducated that are a burden to our society. That certainly does justify having physical barriers to deter them from doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,879 posts, read 19,552,789 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sorry, but no they aren't the same thing and yes it is relevant that the citizens of entirely different countries not of the same ethnicity/culture like the Germans ere are violating our immigration laws, taking our jobs, overwhelming our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods, adding to our crime rates and costing us over $100 billion a year because they are the poor, unskilled and uneducated that are a burden to our society. That certainly does justify having physical barriers to deter them from doing so.
If they were the same culture/ethnicity, you would be against the wall? When Germany reunified, there was a process because suddenly having all of those poorer, lesser skilled Germans would overwhelm their system too. Ethnicity and culture shouldn't have anything to do with the wall. If it is, the Libs charges of racism would be true. Your overwhelming our system is the non-racist argument that works because it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
 
34,809 posts, read 15,700,456 times
Reputation: 9286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If they were the same culture/ethnicity, you would be against the wall? When Germany reunified, there was a process because suddenly having all of those poorer, lesser skilled Germans would overwhelm their system too. Ethnicity and culture shouldn't have anything to do with the wall. If it is, the Libs charges of racism would be true. Your overwhelming our system is the non-racist argument that works because it is true.
No, of course I wouldn't. If they were mostly Canadians I would feel the same way. No one has the right to cross our border illegally either north or south. All I am saying is that the Germans were one people under one country at the time and to separate the same people by a wall was wrong. It's wasn't an illegal immigration problem.

I only mentioned ethnicity in regards to those coming through our border illegally from south of our border is because that's just another reason not to want to be overwhelmed with people in that manner that also dilute our culture, language, etc. It still boils down to the bottom line that any group invading our country illegally by the millions is the reason that we need good physical barriers on that border. You never said why you oppose or advocate for people to have walls around their homes and businesses either. They are there for the same reasons that we have walls on our border. What's the difference between the two? I don't see one.

As I said, we will just have to agree to disagree and I think I have made my points clear. You haven't convinced me that the Berlin Wall is anything like the reasons we need a wall on our southern border. Let's just drop it as this is going nowhere, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
21,089 posts, read 21,243,615 times
Reputation: 21123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
We'll just have to disagree there. The wall served the same purpose as ours, only in reverse. Whether it was a separate country or one divided by foreign occupation isn't really relevant.
Of course a wall serves the same purpose but the reason for the wall is relevant and makes all the difference.
You say the concept of a wall bothers you. How about a fence? Same purpose right, to keep something in or keep something out, or both.

So look at it like this, you have a dog, you want a fenced in area to keep it in so it doesn't go into the neighbors yard, or the road, etc. and you dont want it having access to your entire yard, pooping everywhere, chewing up your patio furniture, etc. so you build a kennel on your property to keep your dog in. You also don't want other dogs, strangers, the neighbors, their children, etc. in your yard potentially harassing your dog, taking your stuff, tear up your yard, getting hurt and filing a lawsuit, etc.

One fence separates your yard to keep your dog safe and contained while still being a part of your property. The other fence separates your property from your neighbors property because you don't want them trespassing.

You eventually let the dog out of the kennel to reunite with its family like the Berlin wall came down and the German people were reunited. Your neighbors are not your family so if they climb over your fence there is no reunification going on. They don't belong in your yard uninvited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,879 posts, read 19,552,789 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, of course I wouldn't. If they were mostly Canadians I would feel the same way. No one has the right to cross our border illegally either north or south. All I am saying is that the Germans were one people under one country at the time and to separate the same people by a wall was wrong. It's wasn't an illegal immigration problem.

I only mentioned ethnicity in regards to those coming through our border illegally from south of our border is because that's just another reason not to want to be overwhelmed with people in that manner that also dilute our culture, language, etc. It still boils down to the bottom line that any group invading our country illegally by the millions is the reason that we need good physical barriers on that border. You never said why you oppose or advocate for people to have walls around their homes and businesses either. They are there for the same reasons that we have walls on our border. What's the difference between the two? I don't see one.

As I said, we will just have to agree to disagree and I think I have made my points clear. You haven't convinced me that the Berlin Wall is anything like the reasons we need a wall on our southern border. Let's just drop it as this is going nowhere, ok?
Sure, no problem. We agree on almost everything except the wall. Thanks for your reply above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,879 posts, read 19,552,789 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Of course a wall serves the same purpose but the reason for the wall is relevant and makes all the difference.
You say the concept of a wall bothers you. How about a fence? Same purpose right, to keep something in or keep something out, or both.

So look at it like this, you have a dog, you want a fenced in area to keep it in so it doesn't go into the neighbors yard, or the road, etc. and you dont want it having access to your entire yard, pooping everywhere, chewing up your patio furniture, etc. so you build a kennel on your property to keep your dog in. You also don't want other dogs, strangers, the neighbors, their children, etc. in your yard potentially harassing your dog, taking your stuff, tear up your yard, getting hurt and filing a lawsuit, etc.

One fence separates your yard to keep your dog safe and contained while still being a part of your property. The other fence separates your property from your neighbors property because you don't want them trespassing.

You eventually let the dog out of the kennel to reunite with its family like the Berlin wall came down and the German people were reunited. Your neighbors are not your family so if they climb over your fence there is no reunification going on. They don't belong in your yard uninvited.
I get what you're saying, but I just don't believe in putting walls around a country. It's not the same thing as putting one around your house. I'm not going to cry if current walls get extended. I just don't like them. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
21,089 posts, read 21,243,615 times
Reputation: 21123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I just don't believe in putting walls around a country. It's not the same thing as putting one around your house. I'm not going to cry if current walls get extended. I just don't like them. That's all.
. You have every right to your belief/feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top