Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:49 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Huh? You mean Germany and the German Democratic Republic? The two countries that reunified after the removal of the Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union. GDR, the communist country that surrounded Berlin? They're about as different as two countries can get. The wall was to prevent people from emigrating to Germany from the GDR.

So what you're saying is that the Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea and Korea are the same country? Are Canada and the US the same country in your world too?
Germany is one country. Canada is one country. I don't know what you are getting at here. This is about illegal immigration from countries south of our border into the U.S. and why walls need to be built to help prevent it. We get it you don't want walls on our southern border that we do need to deter illegal entry and excuses of the costs, so-called lack of effectiveness and laws of eminent domain doesn't change that fact.

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-27-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I know they are two different situations, but the concept of a wall bothers me. Don't worry about it. I understand it is just my opinion. It means nothing more than that.
I can fathom how the word WALL and related imagery could trigger fear and negative connotation. It’s exclusionary and usually is related to things unknown, mysterious and threatening. But there are positive attributes to WALLS.

When I was at Universal Studios in FL with the kids and was amazingly surprised when I entered through a door in a wall thinking it was the bathroom, and was amazed and in awe when I discovered the Harry Potter Village on the other side. When I was a kid and all store counters where really high walls, I new someday I would grow and be able to witness just what the hell was going on up there, and it did happen. It was a positive evolution for me and taught me good things do come if your patient. Hope that helps.

Moral of the story being; illegals can wait for better things. Would you give massive growth hormone injections to your kids so they can see over the counter sooner? ��

Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I can fathom how the word WALL and related imagery could trigger fear and negative connotation. It’s exclusionary and usually is related to things unknown, mysterious and threatening. But there are positive attributes to WALLS.

When I was at Universal Studios in FL with the kids and was amazingly surprised when I entered through a door in a wall thinking it was the bathroom, and was amazed and in awe when I discovered the Harry Potter Village on the other side. When I was a kid and all store counters where really high walls, I new someday I would grow and be able to witness just what the hell was going on up there, and it did happen. It was a positive evolution for me and taught me good things do come if your patient. Hope that helps.

Moral of the story being; illegals can wait for better things. Would you give massive growth hormone injections to your kids so they can see over the counter sooner? ��

Yeah, like fences. Don't fences just put us all into a tizzy?

Old 03-28-2019, 07:51 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Germany is one country. Canada is one country. I don't know what you are getting at here. This is about illegal immigration from countries south of our border into the U.S. and why walls need to be built to help prevent it. We get it you don't want walls on our southern border that we do need to deter illegal entry and excuses of the costs, so-called lack of effectiveness and laws of eminent domain doesn't change that fact.
He was getting at the fact that Germany was not one country at the time in question.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
He was getting at the fact that Germany was not one country at the time in question.
It still doesn't compare the U.S. with Mexico or any other countries south of our border whose citizens are entering our country illegally. Germans were still Germans. Mexicans are still Mexicans and the citizens of the U.S. are still called Americans with immigration laws and internationally recognized borders. We still have a right to secure our border by any means necessary just like we have the right to secure our own personal properties. I certainly don't get a chill up my leg when I see walls around homes and businesses it's to protect the innocent and rightful owners of them. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It still doesn't compare the U.S. with Mexico or any other countries south of our border whose citizens are entering our country illegally. Germans were still Germans. Mexicans are still Mexicans and the citizens of the U.S. are still called Americans with immigration laws and internationally recognized borders. We still have a right to secure our border by any means necessary just like we have the right to secure our own personal properties. I certainly don't get a chill up my leg when I see walls around homes and businesses it's to protect the innocent and rightful owners of them. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
East Germans constantly tried to escape to West Germany.

The only real difference in the walls is one was to keep people in, and the other is to keep them out. That's actually a big difference though.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 AM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
East Germans constantly tried to escape to West Germany.

The only real difference in the walls is one was to keep people in, and the other is to keep them out. That's actually a big difference though.
Not really. Germany was one sovereign country divided by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation. The other is two distinct sovereign countries with immigration laws and procedures.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:14 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not really. Germany was one sovereign country divided by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation. The other is two distinct sovereign countries with immigration laws and procedures.
Texas and California were parts of a sovereign Mexico until taken by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Texas and California were parts of a sovereign Mexico until taken by post war politics and influenced by outside occupation.
They were bought and paid for through the Treaty of Guadalupe. Mexico agreed to the deal. Let's not go back a couple of hundred years to oppose a wall that is warranted today. Mexicans nor any other Latinos have any claims to those lands today. Illegal aliens are all over our country since when did Mexico own the whole U.S. at any time?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:52 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Do you seriously not see the difference in WWII and the Cold War and the Mexican-American war and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
BTW, Texas had declared independence from Mexico and asked to be annexed into America. Remember the Alamo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration