Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:00 PM

36,417 posts, read 30,769,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
She became more than hired help. When I didn't need her help anymore, we both cried when I let her go. Wished her and her family good luck. I will never forget her. You people don't care about HUMAN relationships.
I love my kids and grandkids but if they are doing something illegal and wrong, they are doing something illegal and wrong. My relationship with them does not excuse their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM

192 posts, read 118,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not all employers can pay cash. For instance Purdue. E-verify would make it more difficult to hire illegal workers.

The majority of those filing taxes with an ITIN are working here legally but are not eligible for a SS#. It is estimated (but they dont document) that half of working illegals file a tax return. According to IRS data (2010) 72% of ITIN filers claimed child tax credits and received cash payments (tax refunds).
https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/j...ceived-refunds
https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/audit...01141061fr.pdf
who is talking about eTIN?

Old 02-15-2019, 03:41 PM

192 posts, read 118,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I feel that those who hire illegals or don't care one way or the other are not being humane to the American worker/taxpayer.
pure BS, is not the job of the citizen to screen for that kind of stuff.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:06 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,137,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
It's also not our job to pay for them.....

Old 02-15-2019, 07:18 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,868,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Good gosh! I can take you around to thousands of job sites around the country where these illegals are getting paid in cash. This has been going on for decades.
You get what you accept... Enforce the laws and this goes away. As you say, go around to the thousands of job sites and raid them. Then hammer the employers for using illegals and paying them cash. We need to put some real teeth into the law with harsh penalties.

We need to make E-Verify mandatory for landlords, banks, hospitals, schools and all government agencies. An illegal should not have access to a legal's welfare benefits. In other words welfare payments to children born here of illegal parents.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 PM

62,835 posts, read 29,055,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post

It is if they personally hire them rather than through an agency. Even at that I would make sure that the agency contracts out legal workers.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:51 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,133,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
good question

why do the democrats push against e-verify are every turn??
To answer the question, this is why. Neither party is interested in it and the people are only interested in partisan arguments as excuses.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM

15,414 posts, read 25,768,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There was a case recently of an Irish Independent Electrical Contractor who overstayed his Visa. ICE deported him. How would E-Verify have helped in this case? You want private homeowners hiring contractors to use E-Verify?

Years ago I hired a Nanny/Housekeeper for my Newborn. I went by word of mouth recommendations from friends. She was from Guinea. Was she legal? Was she a citizen? I never asked her. Paid her weekly wages in cash. Never entered my mind to even question her about her legal status. All I was concerned about was if she would be a good caretaker for my child, and her price was reasonable. She talked all the time about HER Country and family back home. But then my Irish Naturalized RN Aunt, did the same when I was growing up.

She became more than hired help. When I didn't need her help anymore, we both cried when I let her go. Wished her and her family good luck. I will never forget her. You people don't care about HUMAN relationships.
Did you report her earnings on a 1099 as required? If you didn't, you were an employer the IRS should go after for unpaid taxes. This is how illegal immigration became the problem it is today.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 AM

15,414 posts, read 25,768,973 times
A separate question: Was E-Verify in the bill Trump signed yesterday? Why or Why not?

Old 02-16-2019, 09:15 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,075,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
All this talk about the wall funding is really getting on my nerves. Simply because the wall is totally, absolutely unnecessary. If Trump and the Republicans were actually serious about illegal immigration, they could end it tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. How? Make E-Verify mandatory for every single job hire, coupled with sky-high fines for violators. Overnight, millions of illegals would be thrown out of work. They'd have no choice but to go home of their own accord. And nobody in their right mind would bother coming over illegally, since there would be no jobs to be had, unless you were a citizen or had a valid work permit.

So, why won't they do this? It's a system which has proven to be highly effective and would require no time at all to implement. Maybe the whole wall thing is just smoke and mirrors to score votes in the next election? Sigh.
They wouldn't all go home. A good percentage of them would stay here and begin a life of crime in order to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration